Law change?

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Just seen this from Whisper.......
Wisper Bikes Go Full Throttle!
At Wisper bikes we have continued our ambitions to innovate within the eBike market by now offering a limited run of our Traditional range of e-bikes (806, 705 and 905) with a full throttle that will power the bikes up to 15.5mph without pedaling.

David Miall Founder and Director of Wisper bikes says “I am particularly excited to be able to offer full throttle bikes again. They are more inclusive than standard eBikes, enabling those that need a little more help to discover, or return to the joys of cycling.”

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Seanoge, no law change.

The bike has to be taken to an MoT centre that's qualified to do the work, it is then tested over about 40 minutes to ensure that it is a road legal EPAC or EAPC now in the UK (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle) conforming to EAPC regs. The bike is then Type Approved and awarded a 250W LPM certificate. The bike can then have its twist grip assistance / walk along regulator opened up from 3.7mph to 15.5mph.

Although the bike is then Type Approved there is no need for an annal MOT test.

We charge an extra £199.00 to convert the twist grip assistance regulator to a full twist and go ebike on new bikes or £249.00 to convert an existing bike (Wisper only). This includes arranging the test, taking the bike to the test centre, making the conversion, all fees and extending the warranty to cover the extra pressures put on the system. In the case of converting an existing bike the warranty is still two years from the date the bike was originally purchased.

An open throttle does not change the power of the bike and riders will still have to pedal on steeper hills to help the motor do the job.

If the uptake on our traditional range of hub driven bikes is good we will extend this to our mid drive Wayfarer bikes too.

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper have been offering this extra service for a few years now but only on request.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Neal, you are correct but on an ad hock basis, we now offer through our website and have made the process much more simple. We have had to take three lots of bikes to be tested this week and are trying now to make it a more organised and permanent part of our service.

All the best, David

IwanEllis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 14, 2019
Hi Neal, you are correct but on an ad hock basis, we now offer through our website and have made the process much more simple. We have had to take three lots of bikes to be tested this week and are trying now to make it a more organised and permanent part of our service.

All the best, David
Hi David, I wish I'd know this when I bought the bike during the 1st lockdown, that's exactly what I wanted
Hi Seanoge, no law change.

The bike has to be taken to an MoT centre that's qualified to do the work, it is then tested over about 40 minutes to ensure that it is a road legal EPAC or EAPC now in the UK (Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle) conforming to EAPC regs. The bike is then Type Approved and awarded a 250W LPM certificate. The bike can then have its twist grip assistance / walk along regulator opened up from 3.7mph to 15.5mph.

Although the bike is then Type Approved there is no need for an annal MOT test.

We charge an extra £199.00 to convert the twist grip assistance regulator to a full twist and go ebike on new bikes or £249.00 to convert an existing bike (Wisper only). This includes arranging the test, taking the bike to the test centre, making the conversion, all fees and extending the warranty to cover the extra pressures put on the system. In the case of converting an existing bike the warranty is still two years from the date the bike was originally purchased.

An open throttle does not change the power of the bike and riders will still have to pedal on steeper hills to help the motor do the job.

If the uptake on our traditional range of hub driven bikes is good we will extend this to our mid drive Wayfarer bikes too.

All the best, David
I know that you and the team have probably been waiting and umping through reg/legal hoops to get this process nailed rather than adhoc but, damn, I wish I knew this was possible when I bought the bike all that time ago in Lockdown as I'm WAY too far away to be able to use the service now.

Without giving too much away for those unscrupulous hackers, is this a software or settings upgrade, or is it also physical? i.e. would a local reputable stockist be able to do the work with your permission and then I find somewhere to do the TA? Or is it back to you guys the only option?

Thanks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Iwan, good to hear from you.

Where in the country do you live? We may be able help you get the bike approved more locally?

We will need to send you a new controller and talk you through how to fit it.

Please email me david@wisperbikes.com, I will introduce you to Andrew, our TA expert, who will assist you with the process.

All the best, David

Reactions: Kinninvie

IwanEllis

Nov 14, 2019
Hi Iwan, good to hear from you.

Where in the country do you live? We may be able help you get the bike approved more locally?

We will need to send you a new controller and talk you through how to fit it.

Please email me david@wisperbikes.com, I will introduce you to Andrew, our TA expert, who will assist you with the process.

All the best, David
Hi David. Thanks for the speedy response!

I'm in N Wales, with my nearest approved retailer in Llandudno Junction.

Also, gongrats on the new model, looks amazing.

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
It sounds strange that you buy a new bike from the manufacture , then some one else has/rides it for 40 minuets , to me this bike then becomes used/secondhand - and you pay extra for it

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Iwan, I will pass your details to Andrew, he will get back to you re the nearest DVSA centre who are qualified to do the checks. Please email me with all your details.

Thanks for your comments re the Tailwinds! They are selling very well.

Here is Izaak one of our Tech Support Team just about to put a Trail through it's paces. Izaak was MTB Captain at Cambridge University before joining Wisper and was involved on the bike's development!

It sounds strange that you buy a new bike from the manufacture , then some one else has/rides it for 40 minuets , to me this bike then becomes used/secondhand - and you pay extra for it
Not really Plas Man.

Do you mean we charge extra for a second hand bike? If so... We would need to check the bike again before it goes to DVSA. However… If the bike had only been used for 40 minutes and didn’t need anything doing to it we would probably waive the extra, but in our experience this has never been the case, they always need a service.

If you mean that the DVSA has the bike for 40 minutes, so it's then second hand, how else would we get it tested? They ride it for 2 minutes to check the brakes mainly, not 40, the rest of the time is checking the bike over.

All the best, David

Last edited:

IwanEllis

Nov 14, 2019
I disagree. To me it's no different than any pre delivery testing, that I'd expect from a decent manafacturer, just that this has to be more rigorous to comply with registration. Pretty sure all new cars are tested before tou get them as you dont need an MOT for 3 years after purchase. I've never bought a new car with 0 miles on the clock, always "delivery miles"

I also doubt they ride it for 40min either, I'm assuming that's the duration of the test?

The cost I believe os to cover the test cost and any additional work or parts that's needed, including a different controller? Again with the new car analogy, it's like the extra options package.

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
Do these still qualify as EAPC, and not as a moped which needs insurance, MOT, licence plates and motorcycle crash helmet?

Just curious and a little confused

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Do these still qualify as EAPC, and not as a moped which needs insurance, MOT, licence plates and motorcycle crash helmet?

Hi Pudding 835,

It is a little confusing. Yes they still qualify as an EAPC. The rider does not by law need to have insurance, MOT, licence plates and motorcycle crash helmet.

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Yes, they are EAPCs, but only in Great Britain since this is a local provision by the DfT, not applicable anywhere else in Europe. So if taking your 250LPM onto the Eurostar or ferry, disconnect the throttle first.

It was in part to accommodate a situation unique to Britain between 2003 and 2015, 12 years when throttles existed contrary to EU law due to an administrative error by the DfT.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I intend to get my kit built hybrid sorted out at my local DVSA centre, just missing one item, does anyone sell round tuits?
According to @Bonzo Banana and @soundwave my 250W bbs01b conversion - and by implication yours - are illegal, therefore will get The Gandalf (respectively) because they're too powerful:

you have chosen a illegal mid-drive motor

...or because the controllers can have settings altered using a USB programming/hacking cable/other (on other kit conversions where controller settings can be changed):

the very fact that you can change the settings in the controller means it can never be road legal even at 100w.
I'm thinking of getting DVSA approved, because getting approved should make it harder to sue me civilly for causing death and destruction, also because I could then say to @Bonzo Banana "YOU ARE WRONG!" :D and @soundwave "PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!" :D ;)