Law in Ireland

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the pedelec law for the Republic of Ireland? I'm currently planning a trip over there.

My guess is that it's EU normal (250W, 25kph, assist only when pedaling). Is that right? And is there anything else I'd need to know.

My bike is UK legal(ish) but not EU. Easy enough to disconnect the throttle, though I also have an idea for using a microswitch on the top of the chain to activate the brake sensors, so it can only assist when there is chain tension.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the pedelec law for the Republic of Ireland? I'm currently planning a trip over there.

My guess is that it's EU normal (250W, 25kph, assist only when pedaling). Is that right? And is there anything else I'd need to know.

My bike is UK legal(ish) but not EU. Easy enough to disconnect the throttle, though I also have an idea for using a microswitch on the top of the chain to activate the brake sensors, so it can only assist when there is chain tension.
It's exactly the EU law, so must be pedelec control only, no throttle above 6kph.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
The regulation states "where the output of the motor is cut off when the cyclist stops pedaling" not "controlled by the pedals" so a device which cuts off power when the drive side of the chain is slack should make a throttle controlled bike EU legal.

Easier to just remove the throttle, though.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi,

No problem, ...in the republic we are still legally and emotionally in the EU. but see other posts about a glitch which occurs in NI.
We had green TDs ( MPs) a while ago in government and the results still stand....
Just don't try to go on the motorways!!!. . There would be a relaxed view about riding on footpaths, outside urban areas. Just slow down and acknowledge any pedestrians with a smile. In the cities, there are some cycle paths which start and end incoherently. Don't ride bike on city pavements. Enjoy your trip.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
For those that are interested this is the line from the NI police.

"The official line is that you require as a minimum, a provisional motorcycle licence and to have undertaken the CBT course.

Practically, I have been referring people to the GB Regulations: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1168/made and advising that if their electric cycle is compliant with these requirements and they are riding it in a proper manner, that they are unlikely to come to the attention of police.

It’s all rather unsatisfactory and the sooner it is remedied, the better."

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For those that are interested this is the line from the NI police.

"The official line is that you require as a minimum, a provisional motorcycle licence and to have undertaken the CBT course.

Practically, I have been referring people to the GB Regulations: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1168/made and advising that if their electric cycle is compliant with these requirements and they are riding it in a proper manner, that they are unlikely to come to the attention of police.

It’s all rather unsatisfactory and the sooner it is remedied, the better."

All the best, David
Oh dear. I don't know if he intended it, but that only refers to the old 1983 200 watt, 15 mph law with weight limits, not its update to 250 watts, 15.5 mph and removal of all weight limits.

So very few will comply anyway, most being 250 watt rated.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a misunderstanding about the throttle. you can have a full-range throttle anywhere, but the power must cut when you stop pedalling.

If you have an LCD, there's often a setting to switch the throttle between 6km mode and full-range.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
My guess is that no NI official really wants to touch this one.
Clearly, the situation has arisen because of negligence on the part of the relevant officials.
Knotty legal problem. Can a state punish an EU citizen when that citizen is fully complying with EU law?

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
As said previously on this subject - if someone was actually prosecuted and was prepared to fund their solicitor to refer it up to a higher court (likely in London rather than Belfast) then it may well set the legal precedent that forces NI legislation to catch up. But as far as we know, nobody's been prosecuted yet - and if they have they've probably just accepted it.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Knotty legal problem. Can a state punish an EU citizen when that citizen is fully complying with EU law?
They can when the EU law makes provision for national rules, and that is the case with many aspects of pedelec usage. Where e-bikes are concerned, things like insurance, helmets, bike path usage for example can all be locally legislated.

The N.I. users problem is that the EU 250 watt pedelec law is only supra national in respect of type approval, they are exempt. But if N.I. wishes to treat them as motorcycles anyway, without type approval, they can.

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
They can when the EU law makes provision for national rules, and that is the case with many aspects of pedelec usage. Where e-bikes are concerned, things like insurance, helmets, bike path usage for example can all be locally legislated.

The N.I. users problem is that the EU 250 watt pedelec law is only supra national in respect of type approval, they are exempt. But if N.I. wishes to treat them as motorcycles anyway, without type approval, they can.
That is sort of worrying because when I take my ebike to Belgium, France and Holland, I have no knowledge of any quirky local rules. Equally so in Ulster. what is the point of the EU if there is not homogenity?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is sort of worrying because when I take my ebike to Belgium, France and Holland, I have no knowledge of any quirky local rules. Equally so in Ulster. what is the point of the EU if there is not homogenity?
Fortunately they are usually lenient, often allowing more freedom.

As for the EU position, they can't win. If they strictly insist on identical law, EU citizens protest as Brexit has shown.

And if they give nations some freedom of application, that gets criticised as you've shown.

They are just trying to get transport harmonised so that we can cross borders easily, but they aren't getting enough co-operation from either countries or citizens.

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay