Layers of security

Tabman55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2021
Hi I was wondering what measures I could take for layers of security to keeping my wheel on? (1000W 48V rear motor) I have already got myself a torque arm but was wondering if there is anything else which can completely just make it feel like nothing will go wrong? I overthink sometimes and if I hear noises while riding that I’m not used to I tend to stop and investigate it and since it’ll be taking me at higher speeds than normal I’d like to feel like I’m fully safe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the axle sits fully in the drop out (or I should say the flats of the axle are fully in the drop outs) then all you need is a torque arm, ideally use one each side for the DD hubs. A one piece TA is best with no moving joint, depending on the area around the drop out it may be possible to fit the main axle part and then drill a m4 /m5 bolt hole through it and the drop out to firmly secure it. Then that is a belt and braces fitting.

For more help ideally a pic of the drop outs is best to see what you have got as they all differ widely.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
What's the usual torque spec if you have a wrench? I've been using 35 nm (26 ft-lbs) and I still have at least one torque plate on the axles. Some axles on my motors are too short for double torque arms.