LCD S866 + Brainpower controller

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Thanks again Emanuele. One more (silly) question. I noticed the description of the cable layout is a bit vague when it comes to the connectors for PAS sensor and throttle. One connector is marked "speed throttle" which anyone can imagine will probably be the throttle connector. And the other is "1:1 accelerator" which I hope is the PAS connector. Is this correct or is it the other way around?

Emanuele

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks again Emanuele. One more (silly) question. I noticed the description of the cable layout is a bit vague when it comes to the connectors for PAS sensor and throttle. One connector is marked "speed throttle" which anyone can imagine will probably be the throttle connector. And the other is "1:1 accelerator" which I hope is the PAS connector. Is this correct or is it the other way around?
What you wrote is correct ... Pay attention to the arrangement of the wires in the plugs, check that the wires are in the correct position, that the red of the female plug is connected to the red of the male plug, etc...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
ok, but the speed doesn't change either ... how do you explain it?
I have no idea what you've done with your controller, how you're testing it, or your level of understanding. What I can tell you is that I've fitted three Brainpower controllers to bikes and everyone of them gave a difference when you went up and down the 5 levels on the LCD. What's more, I never heard of anybody else say that there's no difference on the 5 levels. Maybe your one is broken.

Emanuele

Apr 25, 2019
I have no idea what you've done with your controller, how you're testing it, or your level of understanding. What I can tell you is that I've fitted three Brainpower controllers to bikes and everyone of them gave a difference when you went up and down the 5 levels on the LCD. What's more, I never heard of anybody else say that there's no difference on the 5 levels. Maybe your one is broken.
Let's stop for a moment and let's be clear, the 5 gear levels that I find when the controller is turned on work without problems (example gear 1 = 7km / h .. gear 2 = 12km / h ... etc ..) I'm talking to you about P12, changing the values of the P12 I have no difference or better not changing the speed in the 5 gear levels that are found when the controller is turned on ... (example P12 = 1 running 1 = 7km / h ... P12 = 3 in gear 1 the speed is always 7km / h) I don't know if I explained myself ...

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Let's stop for a moment and let's be clear, the 5 gear levels that I find when the controller is turned on work without problems (example gear 1 = 7km / h .. gear 2 = 12km / h ... etc ..) I'm talking to you about P12, changing the values of the P12 I have no difference or better not changing the speed in the 5 gear levels that are found when the controller is turned on ... (example P12 = 1 running 1 = 7km / h ... P12 = 3 in gear 1 the speed is always 7km / h) I don't know if I explained myself ...
Aaah, maybe that is what the negative feedback on the other controller was about. So the 1 to 5 levels DO work, it's just setting P12 that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for all the info, I will be sure to carefully check my connections. I own 3 Fiido D2 bicycles, hoping to update them a little.

Emanuele

Apr 25, 2019
[QUOTE = "Speedee, post: 500905, membro: 25951"]
Aaah, forse è questo il feedback negativo sull'altro controller. Quindi i livelli da 1 a 5 funzionano, è solo l'impostazione di P12 che non sembra fare la differenza.

Grazie per tutte le informazioni, sarò sicuro di controllare attentamente le mie connessioni. Possiedo 3 biciclette Fiido D2, sperando di aggiornarle un po '.
[/CITAZIONE]
Aaah, maybe that is what the negative feedback on the other controller was about. So the 1 to 5 levels DO work, it's just setting P12 that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for all the info, I will be sure to carefully check my connections. I own 3 Fiido D2 bicycles, hoping to update them a little.
ok! thank you, I'm glad we clarified ... Good luck! Hi

AndreyAv

May 20, 2019
Hello. I've just bought Fiido D2, and your forum seems to be the most useful of all I saw..

So, Fiido has WK3615MS controller, that is set up very strange. It has pedal assist mode, that turns on after 2 full crank rounds, and it always gives about 50% of power to motor. I tested it today, and in pedal assist mode bike reachs about 14km/h independent on cadence.

I don't like this behavior, so my first idea was to insert some microcontroller between PAS and controller with some logic of increasing frequency PAS. It could help to start assisting faster by pushing 24 impulses in a short period of time when I start pedaling, but it seems it can't solve speed problem.

And the second idea is to change a controller, and brainpower+s866 seems to be quite enough and not so expensive. But the only question is - what is the logic of pedal assist of brainpower? Does it just use constant power depending on choosen PAS level? Or it changes assisting power depending on both PAS level and cadence?

Thanks.

Emanuele

Apr 25, 2019
hello, I installed s866, what you can adjust is when to run the engine, from 1/4 of a pedal stroke to 6-7 full turns of pedaling ... you can't adjust the intervention force of the motor ... if you plan to install s866 you must also change the original PAS with a magnet, the one installed does not work with s866 ... good job!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hello. I've just bought Fiido D2, and your forum seems to be the most useful of all I saw..

So, Fiido has WK3615MS controller, that is set up very strange. It has pedal assist mode, that turns on after 2 full crank rounds, and it always gives about 50% of power to motor. I tested it today, and in pedal assist mode bike reachs about 14km/h independent on cadence.

I don't like this behavior, so my first idea was to insert some microcontroller between PAS and controller with some logic of increasing frequency PAS. It could help to start assisting faster by pushing 24 impulses in a short period of time when I start pedaling, but it seems it can't solve speed problem.

And the second idea is to change a controller, and brainpower+s866 seems to be quite enough and not so expensive. But the only question is - what is the logic of pedal assist of brainpower? Does it just use constant power depending on choosen PAS level? Or it changes assisting power depending on both PAS level and cadence?

Thanks.
Changing the PAS signal probably won't help. It's more likely a time delay in the software. How long does the motor run on after you stop pedalling?

If you're going to change the controller, it's worth spending a bit more money to get a KT controller. The control system and feel of the bike is much better than what you get with a Brainpower one. Also, a KT controller makes the motor smoother and quieter.

AndreyAv

May 20, 2019
Thanks Emanuele, vfr400.
Emanuele, do you know whether Fiido stock PAS will work with other controllers (KT for example)?
vfr400, it runs about 2 seconds after stop pedaling. Possibly you right, I should try start pedaling fast and slow and compare.
Do you know whether KT (or Brainpower) controllers change motor power depending on cadence? Or both of them just provide some static power depends on selected PAS mode?

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
As far as I know these controllers expect a "minimum" number of signals from the PAS. When the number of signals is below the minimum the motor will cut out.

AndreyAv

May 20, 2019
Which "these" do you mean? As I know brainpower (and kt I think) has the parameter of PAS sensitivity. And it seems that stock Fiido controller has very simple PAS logic, that just counts signals, not speed.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
That's exactly what I mean, these cheap controllers just count signals. The PAS sensitivity only dictates after how many PAS signals the motor starts.

AndreyAv

May 20, 2019
Could you advice some beginner-level controller which uses cadence from PAS?
It seems that brainpower is the best solution for Fiido - it allows to setup assist reaction and power, and also it is pretty cheap.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Could you advice some beginner-level controller which uses cadence from PAS?
It seems that brainpower is the best solution for Fiido - it allows to setup assist reaction and power, and also it is pretty cheap.
The KT controllers are a bit more expensive that the Brainpower ones, but they're so much better. It's definitely worth paying the extra for one. This isn't snobbishness, nor is it boasting. I always look for the cheapest adequate solution. It makes the difference between an OK bike and a really nice one for around £20 difference.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
The KT controllers are definitely better, I saw some scope pics showing they are half sine controllers. But to be fair, they differ quite a bit in price, you can get a S866 set for as low as 27 Euros and if used on a cheap, foldable bicycle like the D2 I think they are great value. If you are building a new bicycle or upgrading an older electric bicycle the KT are absolutely worth it.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
I got my S866 and brainpower controller today. Before swapping the controllers I tested the sensors first. Figured out I had to "re-pin" the PAS connector for it to work with the stock 6 magnet PAS. Also measured the three hall sensors in the wheel hub and this is where things get interesting: The hall sensors work as long as I rotate the wheel backwards! When rotating the wheel in driving direction (forward) the sensors don't give me any signal. Even stranger is when I rotate the wheel backwards untill I get a high signal from a hall sensor and then stop the wheel and move the wheel forward, the signal stays high. What the heck is going on? To make sure I opened up and tested another Fiido D2 with the same results.

I wonder if there is a reset function on the controller/display because after hooking it up to the motor for a while it now reeds E07 even when only the power wires are connected when before it didn't give me any error messages when I was testing it in the beginning. It has now also become impossible to use the 6 km/h function when holding the - button.

Last edited:

AndreyAv

May 20, 2019
In case of KT I also have to change several connectors to be consistent with Fiido. It not a big deal, but Brainpower seems to be plug&play.
About Fiido's PAS - is it usual PAS, the same as KT-V12L from Ali? It has 6 mangets with 2 internal halls, and provides 12 analog signals per round on forward rotation only.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the PAS worked peddling backwards then why not swap magnet disc orientation so the poles are correct or rotate the sensor 180 degrees.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Not the PAS, the hall sensors in the wheel seem to only work when I rotate the wheel backwards.

Advertisers