Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
O.k, I misunderstood.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
So why would the hall sensors in a wheel hub only work when the wheel rotates backwards? Does that mean the hall sensors weren't working when the wheel left the factory? Or is there another explanation for it? What I find even more strange is that the other Fiido D2 that I have also gives me the same results when checking the sensors. I have another D2 that is still brand new, boxed, wonder if it's the same as the others.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Now that I slept on it, I think the factory installed hall sensors in the motor could simply be the wrong type. I can't imagine the magnets in the motor are in the wrong orientation but then you never can tell with these fast production lines. I wonder if that one hall sensor Sino replaced now actually works and the other two don't. That is if Sino also only got output from the hall sensors when rotating the wheel backwards. To make sure, I'll run another test tonight by testing the hall sensors when they are not connected to the controller.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Okay, ran some more tests on the hall sensors in the motor. And this is what I've found: The sensors only work when the motor is rotated backwards/in reverse. Also the hall sensors output is - (connected to ground) instead of +. So I only get a signal if I measure between the Vs (5v+ input) and the output (Q). I'm not sure but I think that means these are definitely not the right kind of hall sensors.

AndreyAv

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2019
Halls don't detect direction, just the fact of moving a magnet near. Direction is being calculated by sequental triggering of three hall lines, correct? So, possibly, it is wiring issue too, as for PAS? If you swap two lines of three, possibly it will detect direction correctly.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Well, I don't know what to tell you, I used two multimeters and tested the sensors three ways: when they were connected to the original controller, when they were connected to the brainpower controller and when only + and - of the controller were connected and the outputs of the sensors were not connected to the controller. In all cases and with both multimeters I get the same results: I only get an output signal when the wheel is rotated backwards. So with these particular hall sensors it does matter and they only work when the magnetic field moves in a certain direction. I do find it strange that they not only have the direction issue but also the output is connected to ground instead of Vs(+). So maybe you are right and switching the polarity will do the trick. But that would mean the pinout on these hall sensors is in the wrong configuration for the pcb. I'm not even sure hall sensors work when you switch the polarity on them in the first place. Even though the input voltage is quite low (4.9V) that could still be enough to damage the sensor with reversed polarity.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are lots of different types of hall sensors. When you replace any, you should always use ones with the same designation or equivalents. Some have included pull-up or pull-down resistors. Some controllers have their own pull-up resistors and some have pull-down resistors. The resistors don't affect direction, but they do affect whether the signal is on or off. The direction of rotation does affect the output. A north magnetic pole passing from the left is the same as a south pole passing from the right.

AndreyAv

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2019
Actually i meant not wiring of every hall sensor, but wiring in hall 5-pin connector. I thought that possibly Fiido uses non standard pinout for some kind of protection against changing controller.
But I didn't know that halls "understand" direction. In that case my suggestion doesn't make sense.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Aaah, I think I have the solution. Contacted someone who has a video on youtube of replacing hall sensors. He says geared motors only output a signal in forward direction when the motor engages. So I'll just have to test the sensors with the motor running. The display now shows E07 so I think the controller needs to be reset somehow. I don't have a throttle handy other than the one that's on the bicycle already but I'll have to take it apart to figure out the wiring, it has some non standard connectors with more than 3 wires on it. Also the controller does not respond to the PAS at this time, even though I am sure the stock pas is correctly connected to the controller now. This might also have to do with E07. I'm hoping using the throttle will get rid of the error code and allow the PAS to work.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's not true. I always test the hall sensors by rotating the motor backwards. The only time one didn't switch was when it was faulty.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
I think you misunderstood. What I meant was in order to test the output of the hall sensors when the wheel is moving in driving direction(forward) you will not be able to get a signal from the hall sensors when moving the wheel by hand. It will only work when the motor is engaged (or also when using the pedals maybe?) @vfr400 When you spin the wheel backwards, do the hall sensors output a + or a - signal? Have you ever had the E07 problem?

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Yes, you are right, it's a digital signal. But what I'm saying is when I rotate the wheel in reverse I will only measure voltage between Vs and Q not between Gnd and Q. Now that I am home again I ran another test and found I can actually see the signals when the motor is engaged (I used the self learning mode to activate the motor to rotate forward). After the test I opened up the throttle and figured out the correct pinout there. Hooked it up to the controller and after running the motor upto 12 km/h it cleared the E07. I can't however activate the 6 km/h mode anymore. Maybe that's because of a setting I changed. I can also confirm that even though the PAS is connected the way it should, it still does not work on my controller. I'll order another PAS to see if that works with this controller.

Last edited:

Triggmans

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2019
Hi i have same lcd problem i have is the pas works full speed on all 5 power settings even when on 0 it works full speed
any ideas guys

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can you explain exactly what your problem is? Why should we have to read through 9 pages and then guess at which of the 50 or so reported problems is the same as yours?

I don't want to be the grammar police because I know that many people weren't lucky enough to go to a grammar school, but it'll help a lot if you use sentences with capital letters and full-stops to separate the points. If you can't do that, just use a new line for each point.

Last edited:

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Hi i have same lcd problem i have is the pas works full speed on all 5 power settings even when on 0 it works full speed
any ideas guys
Just wild guessing here, are the two green wires connected to eachother? Have you set the right number of motor magnets(and reduction if needed) and the right wheel diameter? Oh and are you sure you connected the PAS to the PAS input and not to the throttle input?

Last edited:

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
I have taken the liberty to clean up the S866 user manual that was floating on the web and created an unofficial/fan-version of it. I have added and removed some things that hopefully improve the readability and reduce the setup time. This manual is by no means perfect, there still are some functions and details of which I am unsure what they do and in case of a lost password even what button to push. If anyone would like me to add or change something, please let me know.

Attachments

Reactions: OBOne

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
P07 is not right. It's the number of speed signal magnets. Your description is correct when using the motor timing hall sensors for the speed signal, which is OK for direct drive motors, but geared motors will show zero speed when free-wheeling.

Geared hub-motors either have internal speed sensors with 1 or 6 magnets, or they use an external speed sensor that has 1 magnet.

P09. You should explain what zero and non-zero start means.

Speedee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2019
Thanks for that, I did some research on P07 and updated the user manual. I also added the zero start discription but I am unsure of the minimum speed required. Any idea what P19 is used for? Please download the user manual again to see the changes. I have also edited the famous connector pic of the Brainpower controller. If needed I can make changes to that too.Controller_edit.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: OBOne

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Any idea what P19 is used for?
Gear normally means throttle in Chinglish, so it must be an option to disable the throttle. I can remember an early installation I did, where there was some strangeness in the way the throttle and pedal assist worked, but I can't remember the details. The only thing I can remember is fixing it with a setting that I hadn't seen on any other controller before.

Advertisers