Learning the (kind of) inexpensive way.

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Hiyas!

So since my baptism of stress into the E-bike world (bought a Powabyke Euro which quickly died in the rain), it's given me the opportunity to mess about with the bike with not much concern whether it'll work out or not. I never would have had the guts to open the controller casing if it hadn't gone wrong, and I'm so glad it did!!

I must say, the help I received on here from the start was invaluable. Also Frank Curran was more than accommodating. Committing to a hobby where you spend is always daunting, but thanks to e-bay, hasn't really been very expensive.

I could afford a more modern bike, and still have a 28" brushless wheel in the shed from my first bike, but I love the powabyke. I love the look, sturdiness, simplicity, and cusomisability. Plus, you can tell it was made to be an e-bike to look at it which should keep the feds off my back!

As it stands, I'm still running the brushed front wheel alone, with a controller and a throttle. No sticky ignition switch, no assist (I'm not going to get stopped for speeding anyway) and a Chinese twist throttle.

Also installed a li-ion pannier rack from my first bike to squeeze the last bit of juice out of that battery and a 36V front lamp with its own switch, separate from the controller.

Next thing I'm planning, and I'm sure this isn't advisable, is installing a rear motor with its own separate controller,battery, and thumb throttle on the other side to the twist. Not to go speeding, but to help me keep my 15MPH against Brighton's horrible headwinds, and give a backup for long journeys.

Also going to replace the sprocket for a bigger one to get more purchase when I pedal.

Also ordered a bottle battery with a broken BMS I plan to fix. If I fail, I fail, but it's worth a try for how much I might save. And I like something to do!

Not sure if of interest to old hands here, but thought I'd share!

8166_10154015243865649_6400119234568042415_n.jpg 12651096_10154015244155649_3170101320661948188_n.jpg

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi Lee

Ahh, good for you for getting stuck in. I did the same years ago and can now build , diagnose and fix ebikes. Great feeling.

Now, I can tell you love the powabyke.....but that dual system isn't the way to go if humbly suggest. You'll be throwing quite a bit of cash at it for no reason.

I'd sell the bike and start again to get what you really want.

Don't forget I am originally a Brighton gent who commutes daily from shoreham. I know all about headwinds !

I have a hybrid with a brushless front BPM. I have the ability to overvolt the system by use of booster batteries . It flies

I also have a GSM crank driven hardtail which can climb any mountain and cope with any headwind.

They also don't consume battery like a brushed motor does.

Before you spend any more money id like to offer you a test ride on both my bikes to get an idea of what relatively cheap spend DIY bikes can do.

Gentleman's wager - take me up on my offer and you won't go ahead with your plan to dual motor the powabyke !

Cheers

Reactions: flecc

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Hi Lee

Gentleman's wager - take me up on my offer and you won't go ahead with your plan to dual motor the powabyke !

Cheers
Thanks matey.

Well, I'm not one to ignore advice from a vet.

I'll keep the PB for romantic reasons but might look at using the brushless 28" wheel and battery I'm working on for a more practical bike. The only thing would be that road bikes and me don't mix well. 90% of my riding is along the undercliff pass and I just don't have the patience to avoid all the shingle that flicks on the path. The PB is a slow old tank but I like the fact it doesn't feel like I've hit a landmine every time I go over a pebble.

The overvolt thing sounds exciting and right up my alley.

I might well have to take you up on your offer. Are you still near Brighton at all?

Thanks!

Lee.

Cooper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 17, 2015
Rye, East Sussex
Holy cow, that's the most masculine two-wheeler I've ever seen! It looks like it's welded together with scaffolding pipes and testosterone. Toggle switches: nice touch. Is the OD green original, or did you just decide it needed to look just a touch more milsurp?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Holy cow, that's the most masculine two-wheeler I've ever seen! It looks like it's welded together with scaffolding pipes and testosterone.
That Powabyke Euro model has been around for years Cooper, one of the longest lived of all e-bikes. Introduced in 1999, it was only discontinued quite recently. Sample photo:

Reactions: Lee

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks matey.

Well, I'm not one to ignore advice from a vet.

I'll keep the PB for romantic reasons but might look at using the brushless 28" wheel and battery I'm working on for a more practical bike. The only thing would be that road bikes and me don't mix well. 90% of my riding is along the undercliff pass and I just don't have the patience to avoid all the shingle that flicks on the path. The PB is a slow old tank but I like the fact it doesn't feel like I've hit a landmine every time I go over a pebble.

The overvolt thing sounds exciting and right up my alley.

I might well have to take you up on your offer. Are you still near Brighton at all?

Thanks!

Lee.
I'm in shoreham these days Lee - only 6 or 7 miles up the coast though. Nice ride on the powabkye !

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Holy cow, that's the most masculine two-wheeler I've ever seen! It looks like it's welded together with scaffolding pipes and testosterone. Toggle switches: nice touch. Is the OD green original, or did you just decide it needed to look just a touch more milsurp?
Does make me want to whistle the great escape tune

And see McQueen try to jump a fence on it

Reactions: VictoryV

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
Holy cow, that's the most masculine two-wheeler I've ever seen!
Haha! Thanks :) I thought I'd accentuate what it has got, rather than try to make it look elegant or modern. Thanks re: the toggle switches - Taken from old air compressors. I like 'em! Yeah, got a few cans of NATO green paint and went to town on it. Fitting a loud horn on it tomorrow. People in this city need to start getting the concept of "bike lane" via my justice-mobile! haha

Reactions: mw1 and KirstinS

Lee

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2016
I'm in shoreham these days Lee - only 6 or 7 miles up the coast though. Nice ride on the powabkye !
I did Saltdean to Worthing quite a lot last summer on my 8-Fun kit bike. Going through the back of Shoreham at 2 a.m. from my friends house was a lovely experience I must say!