Help! Left pedal falls off when PAS fitted.

Turnec1

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2020
Hello,
I am have a Dillenger road leagl kit which works really well and am trying to upgrade my bike from an older mountain bike to a BMC Alpenchallenge. The new bike uses a Shimano Sora Hollow crankset, when I put my PAS Sensor on the crank the pedal does not have enough of the crank, so now my left pedal falls off. Any ideas how to fix this?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your pic link doesn't work so can't see the PAS set up.
For Hollowtech BB it needs to be fitted on the RHS, you need the BZ10C sensor that is retained by the outer BB bearing case and a mag ring fixed to the inner ring.
You can't fit a mag ring to the BB axle as there is usually no pace to do so.

Pedelec member Daniel sells them.

If you want it cheaper then you have to go via China.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are two plastic ring spacers between the bottom bracket shell and the bottom bracket bearing holders. Remove them. then you should have enough spline to clamp the pedal to.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The picture doesn't work for me. i tried two different browsers. To post a picture, you click on the picture icon at the top of the post box, then drag your picture file into it. Make sure you see the writing "drop image" first. To post a picture that you found on the inernet, copy the link address, then use the picture icon as above, but click the link icon in it to get the box where you paste the web address.

Turnec1

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2020
Hello, Thanks for your responses, I have attached the correct photos, the crank is too short to include the RPAS. This is also a road bike according to shimano there are no spacers needed on a road bike between the end caps
There are two plastic ring spacers between the bottom bracket shell and the bottom bracket bearing holders. Remove them. then you should have enough spline to clamp the pedal to.
View attachment 37939

Attachments

Turnec1

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2020
View attachment 37939
Hello, Thanks for this and the link, however the spacers are not included on Raod bikes according to my bike and shimano which is a pain.

Turnec1

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2020
Your pic link doesn't work so can't see the PAS set up.
For Hollowtech BB it needs to be fitted on the RHS, you need the BZ10C sensor that is retained by the outer BB bearing case and a mag ring fixed to the inner ring.
You can't fit a mag ring to the BB axle as there is usually no pace to do so.

Pedelec member Daniel sells them.

If you want it cheaper then you have to go via China.
Hello Thanks for this, but I am running a twin set chain ring and the BZ10C is to small to fit the smaller chainset ring.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Cut the middle out of the magnet disc so it clears the bearing holder, then glue it to the chainwheel or drill some small holes in it to tie it to the chainwheel.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
You have some options here. A Shimano Deore bb with external cups will have 3 spacers included, to cater for 72mm and 68mm wide bottom bracket widths. On a road bike, you would use all the spacers, 2 on the drive side and 1 on the non-drive side (or a combo that offers the best chainline for your drivetrain setup). Lose one of the spacers and you can install the sensor on the driveside.

You will need to remove some of the plastic from the magnet ring in order to install it behind the smaller chainring on your crankset. You can let your dog chew it for a few hours (vfr400?), or use a dremel to remove the plastic. An epoxy glue keeps the ring in place on the chainset.

If you are still having problems with the sensor, remove it from the metal ring and secure it to the chainstay or seat tube in the appropriate orientation (epoxy or thin cable ties should do the trick.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
I have some 12 pole sensors. I can sell you one for £9.50 inc postage and cut the magnet disc to size, if you send me the required dimensions.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have some options here. A Shimano Deore bb with external cups will have 3 spacers included, to cater for 72mm and 68mm wide bottom bracket widths. On a road bike, you would use all the spacers, 2 on the drive side and 1 on the non-drive side (or a combo that offers the best chainline for your drivetrain setup). Lose one of the spacers and you can install the sensor on the driveside.
You can see in the photos that he has no spacers..

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Yes. I think he will need to buy the deore bb, with spacers. Otherwise, I think the solution would be to use the current bb, remove the sensor from the retaining ring and secure it appropriately to the bike frame.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Thanks for this, but I am running a twin set chain ring and the BZ10C is to small to fit the smaller chainset ring.
One can still epoxy/glue or tap the mag ring to the inner ring.
One has to think outside of the box with ebike kits and adapt techniques to suit.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
One thing I am curious about - does Turnec1 have a chainset axle with the little hole on the non-driveside that engages with a stopper plate that slides in that slot in the non-drive side crank. Once you install the sensor ring on the drive side, will there be enough axle on the non driveside to install the stopper plate so it engages with the hole in the axle?

I have a Scott Speedster to convert this week and it has a similar bb set-up to Turnec’s, so will see how things work out.