Legal bike how to chose between them?

D

Deleted member 4366

I was thinking. If they're going to do a nut and bolt rebuild, what will they do/say about your different gearing and forks. Do they know about that? Would it be an idea to put it back to standard before sending it back to save confusion? In the worst case, they might replace the whole bike. Then you'll have to spend all that money again, or worse still, blame your problems on your modifications.

Reactions: jackhandy
D

Deleted member 4366

My next purchase, will be based on the following in no particular order.

• Full, high quality suspension
  • Range, min requirement 40 miles of combined assist/non assist, split 70-30
  • Be as silent as possible, but this conflicts with my quest for looks. Noise is important to me from the point of view of riding in organised mtb events, and also for some of my evening/night time 'gorilla' riding. Having said that, the BH would still serve the evening/night time use.
  • Factory support
  • Build quality
  • Component spec
  • 27.5" wheels
  • Be an mtb
I can compromise to a degree on component spec as these can be changed.
Is this it?
http://www.bhbikes.com/web/en/easy-motion-ebikes/technology/neo/neo-jumper-650b.html

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I was thinking. If they're going to do a nut and bolt rebuild, what will they do/say about your different gearing and forks. Do they know about that? Would it be an idea to put it back to standard before sending it back to save confusion? In the worst case, they might replace the whole bike. Then you'll have to spend all that money again, or worse still, blame your problems on your modifications.
That one did cross my mind. :(

The forks they know about, but I was also wondering about the component aspect. It should make zero difference to the electrical side of things, but it was something that was playing at the back of my mind. Any excuse and all that.

As for the Jumper, a lovely looking bike, but I don't think that I could ever face the potential hassle of ever owning another BH. It's a superb product, that's let down very badly by poor after market support.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The first ebikes I rode were BH Evolution, a 29er and the Jumper. I found they had more go in them than the Bosch bikes but for me the frames were a little small and I didn't like white.

But what stopped me from having one was the comments made by Eddio who thought the component parts were to cheap for a bike in that price bracket.

I have followed a few peoples comments on the 'net and the problems that had arisen with them and know I made the correct decision in not having one. They are nice though.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Eddio was correct, and as a then forum lurker, I also took on board what he had said. I had originally intended to go for a Kalkhoff BS10, but stupidly on one rainy day, I ventured past a cycle shop, and there in the window sat my bike. Talk about an impulse buy! :D

On the positive side of things, without the BH I wouldn't now be hooked on riding off road, and my riding would probably have just ended up being a commute once a month to shops, or something as equally silly.
I know that I have had more than my fair share of issues with the bike, but I don't regret buying it as I've had loads of pleasure from it, and each ride on it, still makes me grin. :)

Ref the components on my bike and sending it back, I guess that I must be entitled to replace cheap quality worn out parts with higher spec parts that are going be arguably more durable. I'd certainly view it that way.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
24/38 on the front and an 11/36 rear cassette.
Out of interest - Do you use 24 - 36 much with the rear-hub motor?
If so, what do you reckon your cadence is?
Is that likely to be why your motors have had a high failure rate?

I have to admit to being loth to use lower than 32 - 28 at my usual 70 climbing cadence.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Jack

I have no idea of what my cadence rate is, but motor wise the first failure was within the first 100 miles, and turned out to be bearing failure. The second motor was water damage. The cycle shop owner seemed to think that this was caused more through my cleaning than actually riding through mud and puddles etc.
That now leaves me with my third motor, which I treat very carefully in respect of use through water, and cleaning. I'm hoping to not wreck anymore. :D
It took sometime bouncing ideas backwards and forwards with the lads from Bikegoo before coming up with my current set up. Obviously it isn't that great for road use, but most of my local off road riding is now spent riding over terrain that doesn't even have an existing track, and the speed is much lower, but the climbs are steeper. The riding on the South Downs is different again, and the gearing seems perfect for this too, but if truth be known, I'm actually enjoying the Bosch crank drive more for riding up there. Bit of an odd one really.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackhandy

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I am obviously a BH fan having had two. The race came with Shimano 105 which is not cheap kit. When the court case is done I might report on components but the damage/ speed combo was interesting.
Dent in wheel rim, tire and spokes OK ( wheel bearings gone though)
Amongst other damage.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I had the drank drive variant so Panasonic drive made for long range as well. D8veh will tell me hub is as good now, but then defiantly not.
And only 17kg as well. v nice.
Unfortunately I cannot have one again.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A word of caution..
I bought a Scott e-aspect 910 with the Bosch crank drive.. Known brand, factory support? You would think so... But.. No e-bike shops anywhere near me and not willing to spend all that money on an Internet purchase so bought from a local dealer... A Small problem surfaced that is easy to fix, but bike shop doesn't seem to want to help me with it. Emails ignored and visits fobbed of with promises, so be careful where you buy from!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sorry to hear that Phill. I can't currently find the direct email contact for Scotts MD, but in the mean time, drop a message detailing your concerns to Nic Sims the marketing manager via this link https://www.facebook.com/nic.sims.10 You will probably get a better response by doing this, than trying to contact the company directly.

Better still, try this one. Steve Carter the general manager.

steve.carter@scott-sports.com

*I will though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sorry to hear that Phill. I can't currently find the direct email contact for Scott Rittschof* but in the mean time, drop a message detailing your concerns to Nic Sims the marketing manager via this link https://www.facebook.com/nic.sims.10 You will probably get a better response by doing this, than trying to contact the company directly.

*I will though.
The problem is an intermittent popping from the bosch motor and their problem is that they don't have any support equipment, tools or knowledge for this part of the bike but are supposedly sorting this out. It's been going on since mid April and the bike is now out of warranty but hopefully that won't matter. Thanks for the contact info which I will use, but first I will try one more visit next week to see what they have to say.
Again thanks for the info.
p. s. Bike is brilliant!
Phill

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The BH NEO Race is possibly the most natural feeling bike that I've ever ridden. Certainly a lovely bike. :)

And 105 are certainly a very good component spec.
This would be an interesting aspect to take to the thread about control systems. What system does the BH use that other manufacturers aren't using? is this a case of a more expensive bike having better programming in the way a Bosch has?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It wasn't so much the electronics side of the bike, it was just the feel of the whole package. The bike just seemed to fit me like a glove, and just some how felt right. Had it not been for the aftermarket aspect of the company, there would be one sitting in the shed.