Legal limit 200W or 250W can anyone explain in simple words

whybobowhy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2010
I am slightly confused by the legality of 250W for bikes in the UK. I clearly read it as 200W is the limit but...........

Can anyone explain in idiots terms.

Thanks

Rob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The British law says 200 watts maximum continuous power, the EU regulations 250 watts.

The EU regulations came into force in Britain 10th November 2003, but the civil service omitted to cancel the British law as the EU required, so we've had both in force. Since our courts are likely to go by British law, 200 watts is the limit currently. However, this is widely ignored by suppliers and users alike and many bikes on sale are 250 watts.

Action to clear up the legal mess is currently in hand at the Department for Transport and the revised regulations implementing EU law only should come into force either later this year or sometime next year. In the circumstances a prosecution against use of a 250 watt bike is now unlikely and no-one has ever heard of anyone being stopped and checked here.

whybobowhy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2010
Thanks for that, I did wonder why people were claiming 250W as "road legal" but it sounds like the usual slow grind of the law to catch up.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
suppose that puts me outside the law with my 2x 250W hubs on one bike:eek:

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
What about the legal situation for 250 watt UK motors with throttle after the EU regulations (no throttle) are brought into force and the existing UK regulations are repealed, with a retrospective saving for existing bikes (with throttle) which currently comply with the UK 200 watt limit?

What are the courts going to say about a 250 watt with throttle built before the EU regulations apply?

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What about the legal situation for 250 watt UK motors with throttle after the EU regulations (no throttle) are brought into force and the existing UK regulations are repealed, with a retrospective saving for existing bikes (with throttle) which currently comply with the UK 200 watt limit?

What are the courts going to say about a 250 watt with throttle built before the EU regulations apply?
This knotty problem, coupled with the fact that these regulations are invariably badly drafted in the UK* will mean that the issue will be avoided like the plague! The police understandably like simple issues.

*Britain was the only country in the EU to make a complete mess of passing the EU law into force in 2003. Every other EU country got it right first time. :(

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
*Britain was the only country in the EU to make a complete mess of passing the EU law into force in 2003. Every other EU country got it right first time. :(
LOL.................. maybe our new PM will clear up the matter, with him being a keen cyclist. :rolleyes:

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
The British law says 200 watts maximum continuous power, the EU regulations 250 watts.

The EU regulations came into force in Britain 10th November 2003, but the civil service omitted to cancel the British law as the EU required, so we've had both in force. Since our courts are likely to go by British law, 200 watts is the limit currently. However, this is widely ignored by suppliers and users alike and many bikes on sale are 250 watts.

Action to clear up the legal mess is currently in hand at the Department for Transport and the revised regulations implementing EU law only should come into force either later this year or sometime next year. In the circumstances a prosecution against use of a 250 watt bike is now unlikely and no-one has ever heard of anyone being stopped and checked here.
Sorry Flecc, just to clarify, sometime ago you mentioned this:

EU no-throttles rules in Northern Ireland and have had since 10th November 2003.

The simple reason for this is that our 1983 EAPC legislation is British law, not applying to you since N.I is in the UK, not Great Britain. The mandatory EU regulation was passed into UK law back in 2003, with no contrary British law to overrule it in your case.
e ago you mentioned this:

Does this mean that NI is allowed up to 250W but not throttle?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry Flecc, just to clarify, sometime ago you mentioned this:

EU no-throttles rules in Northern Ireland and have had since 10th November 2003.

The simple reason for this is that our 1983 EAPC legislation is British law, not applying to you since N.I is in the UK, not Great Britain. The mandatory EU regulation was passed into UK law back in 2003, with no contrary British law to overrule it in your case.
e ago you mentioned this:

Does this mean that NI is allowed up to 250W but not throttle?
Yes, you have only the UK law in force, which includes the EU regulations, i.e. 250 watts, no independent control by throttle without pedalling. THe 1983 EAPC regulations were British law, not UK.

However, the revisions currently being worked on and coming into force late this year or next are likely to be UK wide, but they will bring EU conformity to us all anyway.

One thing peculiar to Britain in Europe is the 14 years minimum age for riding any e-bike, and that does apply to you in Northern Ireland since it's part of the 1988 Road Traffic Act.