Legally running a 500W ebike

elanski

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2018
Greetings all.

How would one go about legally registering, taxing and insuring a home built 500W ebike?

The Gov.uk website suggests it has to be type approved as a moped, but would that mean it has to be tested as a moped and have things like fixed lights, horn, mirror etc?

Searching for insurance has also turned up blanks. Companies seem to be able to insure against theft but not offer comprehensive other third party insurance needed to comply with the road traffic act. A home conversion seems to make it even more difficult.

Has anyone actually ever successfully been through this process and legally riding their bike with all the boxes ticked?

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
A MSVA test (manual on the internet) to get your registration costs £80 then a small registration fee to get your reg plate. Can't believe a certificate of conformity which the bike in the link has from the manufacturer trumps what's required in the MSVA manual for a home built bike. Where are the mirrors ?

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk

Reactions: elanski

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Greetings all.

How would one go about legally registering, taxing and insuring a home built 500W ebike?

The Gov.uk website suggests it has to be type approved as a moped, but would that mean it has to be tested as a moped and have things like fixed lights, horn, mirror etc?

Searching for insurance has also turned up blanks. Companies seem to be able to insure against theft but not offer comprehensive other third party insurance needed to comply with the road traffic act. A home conversion seems to make it even more difficult.

Has anyone actually ever successfully been through this process and legally riding their bike with all the boxes ticked?
Yes, it's been done but it's very complex process. You'll find the details in this ES thread.

elanski

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2018
Thanks for the replies all. Some interesting links there. Especially the guy who built the bike on the ES forum.

Looks like an almighty amount of hoops to jump through, and I wonder what will happen at MOT time too.

Factor all that hassle in with the relatively high insurance cost and the need to wear a to motorcycle helmet I think it is going to be a non starter for me. :(

All said and done it will be much easier and cheaper to buy a second hand petrol moped. Shouldn't be like that really.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All said and done it will be much easier and cheaper to buy a second hand petrol moped. Shouldn't be like that really.
But of course you can buy ready made S class e-bikes complete with certifcate of conformity and number plate bracket. Expensive though and a m/c helmet still necessary. Although annoying, you can see the sense in that when a 28 mph moped rider has to have a m/c helmet.