LEXUS Hybrid Bicycle

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
Today came across this, is this a future, Lexus getting into electric bikes. I just love the unique design, what do you think?

Interesting to see that. Those interested can get more info here Lexus Hybrid Bicycle Concept

Alex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it's cropped up a couple of times Alex. It's currently in the thread abvout the VW e-bike prototype in "The Charging Post" section on this link.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Speaking for myself, I do like to have mudguards to keep road filth off my clothes, somewhere to carry beer or papers back from the shops, an adjustable saddle and a stand. Oh yes, and round my way, you need to carry a lock as well, plus a price of less than £2,500 would be nice. Of course, some lights, too as it sometimes gets dark where I live.

Apart from that, very pretty. I shall buy one for my mum :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Weird having a jockey pulley on the lower chain run, adding inefficiency just to get the look a bit neater. The crossover frame is a silly gimmick as well, just introducing weakness at the crossover point that a normal upper and lower tube arrangement doesn't have.

Like so many concepts, style over substance.

GeoffM

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2009
Well, the frame is quite something! But I think they should focus their efforts on the wheel design. Wheels are just ripe for improving... someone should invent a better wheel... There's a heck of a lot of wheels out there waiting to be re-invented...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
someone should invent a better wheel... There's a heck of a lot of wheels out there waiting to be re-invented...
Unfortunately for larger wheels like those on bikes, the combination of lightness, strength and reasonable cost of a spoked wheel is unbeatable.

Others have been tried but failed on the market. We've had all-plastic spoked and magnesium spoked for example, both like many of today's motorcycle wheels, but they sacrifice strength to be light enough to compete. They can also be expensive too.