Lidl and Aldi purchases ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
@saneagle

There should be a handlebar support to keep bike level.
View attachment 54526
Yes, I have that thing. It works fine on my road bike, but it isn't man enough for an ebike with rear hub-motor and a bracket on the crossbar. It helps, but it's a lot of messing about to fit it, so I just let my bike go vertical. Their hoist works much better for ebikes, and it's cheaper. The only problem is keeping the bike still when working on it because it swings. Actually, a combination of the hoist and stand would be a total solution.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, I have that thing. It works fine on my road bike, but it isn't man enough for an ebike with rear hub-motor and a bracket on the crossbar. It helps, but it's a lot of messing about to fit it, so I just let my bike go vertical.
Yep, it's weak. I was considering superglue+baking soda bonding on something much more sturdy on than those rubbery straps at either end, perhaps two sets of very thick reusable zipties.

Their hoist works much better for ebikes, and it's cheaper. The only problem is keeping the bike still when working on it because it swings. Actually, a combination of the hoist and stand would be a total solution.
Good point, thanks for the reminder. The last time I worked on my bike, that sort of thing did occur to me as being useful to try at some point - prior to buying this stand, I used to hoist my bike up using a suspension trainer. I could simply situate it's ceiling hook over the bike stand. It's similar to this, but with a ceiling hook. Aldi's bike stands wouldn't survive for long in a busy LBS repair environment.

Last edited:

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Their hoist works much better for ebikes, and it's cheaper. The only problem is keeping the bike still when working on it because it swings. Actually, a combination of the hoist and stand would be a total solution.
A US forum user showed a hoist in use, along with a foldable (or telescopic?) wall mounted arm, a bit like a drop leaf shelf support or monitor arm. Wish I could recall how it attached to the bike.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The clamps are too weak for most electric bikes. They're better than nothing, ........
Agreed - the clamps are ineffective. When I want to use the stand it is usually for adjusting/indexing the rear derailleur gears and for this occasional task I just hook the saddle nose over the clamp arm and attach the front wheel to one of the stand feet using a toe strap or similar.

All really rather make-do admittedly but a proper bike stand seems to be a pricey item and I'm thinking of spending my next 'bike allowance' on a 3d printer - lol

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The clamps work well enough for my uses, after a good wiping away of grease from the tubes using isopropyl alcohol. Saves shelling out about £270 or more for Park Tool's version.

Flashing or coloured spoke lights are illegal in the UK
As it's a minor offence, so perhaps I'll be tasered at a lower voltage than usual? Hope so. According to the leaflet blurb inside the box, Aldi spoke light patterns are supposed to become apparent to human eyes, when the wheel spins at 20mph+. I can't spin the front wheel (rear wheel driven by BBS01B, limited to 15.5mph, which is why I have two lights on the front, for strange partial random [alleged] patterns) by hand that fast, and the camera's shutter speed will need to be adjusted for the patterns or streaks to be captured on video... I might have another go at this sometime:

Like a lot of low power bike LEDs, they don't look bright unless it's totally dark everywhere else. These likely fade to insignificance because of my other much brighter lights. Impulse purchase. I'm in and out of Aldi like Errol Flynn... (some of the checkout girls are very attractive at my local, and I'm a very dirty old man. Thanks Aldi).

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
We have purchased some of their cycling tops and socks. However, they seem to fit Mrs DG better than me, but they do appear to be reasonable quality.

Had to take mine back for a refund, which was no issues.

DG…

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Aldi's merino wool blend winter socks are pretty good, bought last week at a reasonable price for a two pack. They're substantial, warm cycling feet.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wrong Sunday! What Aldi stock when appears to vary. I bought one of these today - thin, lightweight, finely knit, feels like it should be a nice cycling base layer. Marvellous, now I can pretend to be the second coming of the inventor of the Jesusphone and access billions of dollars in Apple shares. Wool retains warmth even when a bit wet. His is crappy cotton.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I make my own oat flour using a coffee grinder, add loads of cocoa powder and mix it with grated apples and a smidge of baking powder, form them into balls
Oaty chocolate apple balls ? sounds interesting.

it's the tube they're fitted to that won't clamp, so if you put on a front or rear motor wheel, the bike goes vertical no matter how hard you tighten the clamps
I took off the plastic knob and replaced the bolt with a nut so i can use a spanner on it, but even then it isnt happy and moved.
So because it doesnt really need to be adjusted I drilled a hole right through the plastic mount and tube and put through a long bolt. Problem solved

Reactions: saneagle

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The oaty appley chocolatey combination goes well with custard and/or cream. Add a knob of butter in with the mix for more crispiness. Because of high cocoa solid content (hoping that doesn't mean cocoa tree sawdust) they taste slightly bitter as well as sweet like dark chocolate, depending on how much cocoa powder you include. It's much easier to form the balls if you wet your hands. Bake on a wire mesh, or seasoned steel or aluminum tray (I avoid PTFE). Great little cycling snacks. Depending on how many you eat, they might even be good for your health? The recipe is featured in "How To Cook Guerney's Delicious Oaty Apple Chocolatey Balls", a slim volume at present.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
The problem is not the jaws - it's the tube they're fitted to that won't clamp, so if you put on a front or rear motor wheel, the bike goes vertical no matter how hard you tighten the clamps. My one won't even stay horizontal with a mid-motor. Yes, if you clamp tight enough and find the balance point, you can do simple things, like oiling the chain, but if you change anything on the motor or battery, it just falls down, like the photo shows. see that big pile of lead weights on the floor on the left: Guess what they're for:

View attachment 54517
One 6 inch nail and a few holes through the clamp and tube. Job sorted. Easier to carry around than lead weights too.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

I took off the plastic knob and replaced the bolt with a nut so i can use a spanner on it, but even then it isnt happy and moved.
So because it doesnt really need to be adjusted I drilled a hole right through the plastic mount and tube and put through a long bolt. Problem solved
That's a good idea.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Too much sugar in that one.

However, Aldi sell both Moser Roth 85% and 90% for a very cheap £1.35. Not only is it considered to be a healthy snack but will also give you a zinc and selenium boost to help keep those nasty colds at bay!
You're absolutely right! I had forgotten how delicious those 90%ers are. Not much sugar at all, but still ace, and slightly purple. I can manage more than 5 a day of those for sure.

Having given up on buying and trying supposedly 100% waterproof gloves, I've bought these leather ones with a wool lining, which should in theory keep my pinkies warm even when wet through.

...if they don't, I'll wear silk gloves underneath - leather stretches, so does wool. A liberal slathering of Nikwax should keep most of the wet out. I've got them baking in Nikwax on the radiator.

They feature a phone screen friendly index finger. Let's see if they keep chilblains at bay, I don't want those ever again.

Reactions: Oldie

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Having given up on buying and trying supposedly 100% waterproof gloves
Depends on what those cost. Cheap 'waterproof' gloves never are. It comes in the seams or just the construction of it is so poor that if they start out waterproof, they dont stay that way for long.

If you want a waterproof glove, then buy one that has the reputation of being waterproof and fit for purpose.
Currently theres a bit of a sale at Sealskinz. At about 30% off.
eg

Though I would say spend money and get leather palms.

Im thinking of treating myself.

I've been wearing sealskinz socks for a long time, which to be fair arent a sock to wear every day, but if you know its going to be wet, stick them on then.

And I've recently bought a Beetley (full head covering) to replace my non waterproof Gore windstopper balaclava. The windstopper has been brilliant especially at protecting the cheeks(not those cheeks) and ears, but its night and day compared to the Beetley.
I paid about £25 for the Sealskinz Beetley, which is similar to the cost of the Windstopper I bought 20 odd years ago, but way way better. I'd fully recommend that one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Aldi are selling flexible topped neoprene wellies at the moment, which could be ok for winter cycling?

If you want a waterproof glove, then buy one that has the reputation of being waterproof and fit for purpose.
Currently theres a bit of a sale at Sealskinz. At about 30% off.
Thanks, I might buy those. On the other hand (actually, off both hands) I'm forever losing gloves, which isn't stressful if they're mega cheap.

And I've recently bought a Beetley (full head covering) to replace my non waterproof Gore windstopper balaclava. The windstopper has been brilliant especially at protecting the cheeks(not those cheeks) and ears, but its night and day compared to the Beetley.
I paid about £25 for the Sealskinz Beetley, which is similar to the cost of the Windstopper I bought 20 odd years ago, but way way better. I'd fully recommend that one.
Those do look very good, but I worry about frayed microfibers ending up in my lungs - sewage is full of fleece fibres. I used to smoke, and now that I don't, I hate the idea of chucking any more gunk into them if it isn't addictive.

For winter cycling, KN95 masks keep my face sufficiently warm, and they're easy to breathe through.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thought I'd try this cheapo from the AliExpress sales - I can always wear a KN95 underneath to keep fraying microfiber crud and pollution out of my lungs. Cheaper than Aldi will ever be.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers