Lightest electric bike available?

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
This is for interest sake only.Its not about performance etc.just weight.

What is the lightest electric bike available in mass( or semi mass ) production?The Cytronix must be up there??Are there any folding tiddlers that may be lighter?

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Not that it is in production anymore but I think the Brompton Nano was lighter than the Cytronex. I suspect there are some 'toy' bikes that are lighter still.

BM

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
There will probably be " toy " bikes that are lighter than more powerful " proper bikes " But they may have their market?A small light weight folding bike which has a limited mileage and speed but can be taken on the bus is s different market to a full size " normal " ebike weighting 22kgs?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The GoCycle is the lightest at 16.3 kg for the electric version.

The first 150 have been produced and are in use by customers testing them out, the next production batch due in April. Don't be fooled by it's looks and 20" wheels, it's a full size bike and not a folder, though it can be dismantled.

Full price will be £1158 including VAT and delivery, pre-order price up to 31st January is £895.

Next lightest is the Cytronex at 17 kg, followed by the odd electric folder at around 18 kilos.

GoCycle

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
And then we add the kryptonite lock, the rack, the panniers, the sat nav, the bike pump, the tool kit, the lights. Then there's the winter wear and finally all those extra Kg we put on over Christmas. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And then we add the kryptonite lock, the rack, the panniers, the sat nav, the bike pump, the tool kit, the lights. Then there's the winter wear and finally all those extra Kg we put on over Christmas. :D
And the layer of mud. :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
kryptonite lock - 3Kg
the rack - 700g
the panniers - 2Kg
the sat nav - 300g
the bike pump - 250g
the tool kit - 1Kg
the lights - 500g
the winter wear - 2Kg

That's almost 10Kg, add another 2Kg for your Marathon Plus tyres and the 16.3Kg bike seems a little pointless.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
kryptonite lock - 3Kg
the rack - 700g
the panniers - 2Kg
the sat nav - 300g
the bike pump - 250g
the tool kit - 1Kg
the lights - 500g
the winter wear - 2Kg

That's almost 10Kg, add another 2Kg for your Marathon Plus tyres and the 16.3Kg bike seems a little pointless.
Fully agree Mussels, a point I've made in the past about stripped bikes like the Cytronex. For fun rides they make sense, but by the time they are equipped for any serious use, much of the light weight vanishes, and even the reason for having a very small battery becomes questionable.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I was quite surprised how light the battery is on my agattu my previous bikes being a torq and a powabyke:eek: nigel.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah but no,

Once a light bike is fitted with all the extra gear it still ends up lighter than the heavier ones with all their gear on too!:)

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi panasonic make a full size bike at 16.7 kilo bit expensive though as it has tittanium frame

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah but no,

Once a light bike is fitted with all the extra gear it still ends up lighter than the heavier ones with all their gear on too!:)
Agreed, but a smaller proportion. One kilo might seem a worthwhile saving on a 17 kilo bike, but once the bike is fully kitted and up to 27 kilos or more, that 1 kilo starts to look much less relevant.

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
go cycle

love that go cycle and the way it just springs up in the air and comes down in that nifty little box thing :D

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
yeah,it looks good, but at £1200 I think theres other bikes that will do a better all round job at a lower price?

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Fully agree Mussels, a point I've made in the past about stripped bikes like the Cytronex. For fun rides they make sense, but by the time they are equipped for any serious use, much of the light weight vanishes, and even the reason for having a very small battery becomes questionable.

I agree up to a point..... but the Cytronex is a fully functional bike as it stands. Admittedly the battery is a bit small but is still good for 20 to 25 miles. Adding a rack and panniers will not add that much and I think mudguards are overated anyway. The bike already has lights. Just as it is, it does make for a serious, practicle machine to commute on.

I think the main difference is that the Cytronex is intended (and perhaps the Kakhoffs to a lesser extent) to be ridden as unpowered bikes as well and there weight makes a difference if any hills are on route.

I for one opted away from the Marathon Plus tyres due to weight. Instead I am using Panaracer Pasela Tours and very happy with them I am. The puncture fairy has not visited in the first 600 miles on them. My bike is about 19 kilos all in including panniers and I would not want to add another 10 kilos to that. That was one reason for going the TongXin route - both motor weight and the ability to get good range due to ease of user input.

Also, man handling and transporting a heavy bike is a pain. When I mentioned 'toy bikes' I was refering to those with silly little wheels (6 inch jobbies) and frames that have you all hunched up in a ball - in my mind these are not practicle. I am all for good electric folders and indeed I am looking for one right now. Might be another home grown afair using the narrow TongXin and a Dahon 20".

Cheers, BM.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the Cytronex is a fully functional bike as it stands. Admittedly the battery is a bit small but is still good for 20 to 25 miles. Adding a rack and panniers will not add that much and I think mudguards are overated anyway. The bike already has lights. Just as it is, it does make for a serious, practicle machine to commute on.
I respect the Cytronex and was just using it as an example, but it's not a fully functional bike for anything other than a little pleasure riding. Even commuting needs locks and toolkit at least. If the kit that was mentioned by Mussels is added, it's still about 26 kilos which is a 53% weight increase!

The same sort of thing applies to any light stripped bike if it's needed to do a variety of serious work rather than be a pleasure bike. Obviously there are individual preferences, but most would prefer to have mudguards, plus tyres as puncture proof as possible.

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I respect the Cytronex and was just using it as an example, but it's not a fully functional bike for anything other than a little pleasure riding. Even commuting needs locks and toolkit at least. If the kit that was mentioned by Mussels is added, it's still about 26 kilos which is a 53% weight increase!

The same sort of thing applies to any light stripped bike if it's needed to do a variety of serious work rather than be a pleasure bike. Obviously there are individual preferences, but most would prefer to have mudguards, plus tyres as puncture proof as possible.
I like travelling light. I had mine supplied with mudguards. I don't think they weigh much. I have 2 locks but only use the one for my commute which I leave locked to the cycle rack in an underground car park so I don't have to carry it. Personally I don't like racks, stands, panniers etc usefull though they can be for some. I do have a collection of bags of various sizes with a preferrence for courier. I do agree the ride is a pleasure.
One of my colleagues, has no car, commutes much further than me on his very minimal road bike, 5 days a week, and he makes me look like a heavyweight!

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008

Well this is splitting hairs a bit but:

kryptonite lock - 3Kg - leave at work so no need to carry.
the rack - 700g - say 500g for a good light one
the panniers - 2Kg - these are mighty heavy panniers - one side of the heavy duty Ortileb Roller Classic = 775g would be ample for most commuting
the sat nav - 300g - Really, personally I can remember my way to work.
the bike pump - 250g - OK
the tool kit - 1Kg - Can't imagine mine is this heavy but OK.
the lights - 500g - already included in bike weight
the winter wear - 2Kg - well, we do neet to wear clothes, not sure that is fair to include in the bike weight.

And if you must have them, mudguards at 500g

So I make that about an extra 4kg making 21kg total for the bike. I don't own a Cytronex but I really think the bike is just as suited for commuting as any of the other ebikes given a suitable match with rider. I have a Cytronex inspired bike and it is built primarily for commuting, not for fun. My only real concern is the long term reliability but the Cytronex appears good so far.

While it is not a typical ebike I think it is a very practical machine that is too readily dissmissed. It is clearly far from perfect and clearly not for everybody but I really don't see why it can't be a commuter while still weighing less than much of the competition.

I see many cyclists commuting along my route and none of them (well the ones who cycle further out) have 9 or 10 kg or extra stuff on their bikes. In fact, my boss cycles to work most days and his bike is sub 8.5kg all in. Granted, not an ebike. He has a lock that weighs almost as much of the bike but that is just kept on the railings outside work. He does not bother with a toolkit, walks if the bike breaks as its only 8 miles - at most 4 miles home to pick up the car or 4 miles into work.

Cheers, BM.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While it is not a typical ebike I think it is a very practical machine that is too readily dissmissed. It is clearly far from perfect and clearly not for everybody but I really don't see why it can't be a commuter while still weighing less than much of the competition.
Of course, as I said I was just using it as an example, not criticising it and certainly not dismissing it. In fact I think it's as good as it needs to be for it's purpose, my point only being that light stripped bikes in general need quite a lot of weight added for a more universal role.

Incidentally, quite few of us play safe use two heavy locks on their e-bikes. :D