Lightest electric bike available?

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Of course, as I said I was just using it as an example, not criticising it and certainly not dismissing it. In fact I think it's as good as it needs to be for it's purpose, my point only being that light stripped bikes in general need quite a lot of weight added for a more universal role.

Incidentally, quite few of us play safe use two heavy locks on their e-bikes. :D
I thought you may have been referring to the heavier electric bikes being designed for heavier use. Bikes that have frames designed to carry heavier batteries such as the wisper or the Torque or even more robust motors. I think that would be a valid point because the extra weight involved is not really significantly greater and the benefits are the much greater distances that can be travelled with less effort at greater speed.
In any other sense I'm not sure that the Cytronex Trek could really be described as a light stripped bike. It comes with decent hardcase "puncture proof" tyres, handle bar ends, trip computer with lamp B&M lights and a reasonable quantity of spokes (32 I believe). The rack, Kryptonite lock, mudguards, comfort saddle etc can all be ordered with the bike and fitted by Cytronex. The 7300 also has front suspension.

2 locks are good but depends where you leave your bike. I could leave it at work unlocked and I would be very unlucky to find it missing. I don't though ;)

AS you say the weight thing is no big deal. The electric bike is a hybrid machine and it's usually the human element that has the significant weight issues.:)

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Well said Barnowl!

No matter how many grams the designers manage to pare from the machine, the ultimate humiliation to the machine will be the likely 100 Kgs + weight of the rider.....everything that went before paling into insignificance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
AS you say the weight thing is no big deal. The electric bike is a hybrid machine and it's usually the human element that has the significant weight issues.:)
No matter how many grams the designers manage to pare from the machine, the ultimate humiliation to the machine will be the likely 100 Kgs + weight of the rider.....everything that went before paling into insignificance.
As you both say Barnowl and Blew it, personal weight is often an issue, though there's a little realised aspect of that which makes it fundamentally different from bike weight.

A persons weight up to the point of obesity onset is automatically compensated by the body developing in parallel the appropriate muscle mass for the body weight and activities undertaken.

There is no equivalent compensation for weight added to a bike, it just loses hill climb and acceleration performance.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi i think the main benefit for low weight is when you have to hump bikes round a railway station or up stairs or similar situations especialy if you are not to big or strong

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, leave 2 locks at work then :D
And two locks at the library, two locks at the supermarket and two locks at the DIY store etc etc etc? :confused:

Some of us lead very varied cycling lives, this alone illustrating why stripped bikes aren't adequate for many of us. :D

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
hi i think the main benefit for low weight is when you have to hump bikes round a railway station or up stairs or similar situations especialy if you are not to big or strong

jim
I think you're right Jim,has any one ever tried to get a PowerByke Shopper into the overhead luggage rack on a train? :)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
And two locks at the library, two locks at the supermarket and two locks at the DIY store etc etc etc? :confused:

Some of us lead very varied cycling lives, this alone illustrating why stripped bikes aren't adequate for many of us. :D
I could always buy a 3rd lock.

My libraries just round the corner and the DIY stores not much further but I do get the point.

I have to say that the only time anyone has come up to me in the highs street and commented on my Cytronex was a very nice couple that opened with the line "that looks like an expensive bike - it's got all the bells and whistles, hasn't it". I was stuggling with the como lock at the time and feeling like a complete idiot. Strangley despite a lenghy chat they never noticed it was electric. Probably thought I enjoyed a hot cuppa on my excursions.

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
@Bigbee:
What is the lightest electric bike available in mass( or semi mass ) production?
was the gruberassist already mentioned ?

they combine very highquality and light mountainbikes with a super-light motor and battery (900g the motor-gearbox unit, 1kg the battery)

this results in overall weight of ~13-14kg for bikes which are raceable (26" Mountainbikes) !
(so not filligran bikes that brake at the first curb you jump down)

the motor puts out around 100Watt..
sounds not much, but a hub-motor offroad on steep hills does also not more

only downside is the noise

the motor is not intended to be a "electric moped", the motor is realy only a help for climbing hills, ...
so its a sport-utility

2008 the production was sold out,
for 2009 they expect to double the numbers of bikes they will produce and sell