Lights (again, sorry)

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Just a quick update on this rear light which I've owned for 3-4 weeks now:

Buy Smart Lunar R2 Rear Light at Tredz Bikes. £13.99 with free UK delivery

It's started to go wrong, it's been through alot on the back of the Haibike and last weekend the bike was particularly muddy so the bike was washed and so was the light, I went out last night with the light on the disco setting and after an hour of offroading it was stuck on the slow flash, I could't turn it off. When I got home I opened it up to get the batteries out which seemed dry, put the batteries back in and couldn't switch it on, when I shook the light a few drops of water came out, so it's got water inside and it's currently drying out over a radiator.

I've read a couple of reports about water ingress into SMART lights, I'm guessing this has happened here, looks like I'll need to find my receipt and take it back for a refund...........

So what other very bright rear lights are there (that are as convenient as the SMART, AAA batteries, clip on)?
This light appears to have dried out and is working fine now !

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
For those on a tighter budget (I have been amazed at how much some of you are prepared to pay!) can I recommend these
BLACKBURN VOYAGER / MARS CLICK LED FRONT REAR BIKE LIGHTS SET
they're really bright, small enough to put in your pocket and quick to attach and remove. The front throws a beam, like a torch, its not just there so you can be seen like the cheapest LED ones.
See or be seen, I've been looking at spending the least amount of money (on front lights) for ages but have come to the conclusion that the more you spend, the more you can see on the road/trail ahead of you and it seems there is a bit more robustness with the higher priced models, escpecially when downhill trail riding in the dark!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
On the back of this I've ended up buying a Cree 502B 1000 lumen.
Which for £21 of ebay from a UK seller is only a couple of pound more than the Hong Kong seller.

Well the HK seller throws in another 18650 cell and a double charger rather than a single charger and battery.

Can't complain. I'll try to get some light picture with it when it arrives. I'm hoping its bright enough to be noticed and yet light up some dark paths when I decided to go else where on the bike.

Its amazing how much cheaper the HK stuff is rather than buying from a standard UK retailer though and how much brighter the light is.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
look at the 1000 lumen lights- you can find for under £50, 900 lumen ok but not as well defined light -Seoul SSC led not so good as the newer Cree T6 . Look at Torchy's site, plenty of others you can find using a web search like MTBR's test

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Good job I had one on order some bastard nicked my old one!
probably some homeless fit that's managed to get into the car parking.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I got this one. It's a lot cheaper and an awful lot brighter. I would say similar to my motorbike headlight on main beam, but with a more focused beam. When you set it to flash, everyone will take notice - trust me!. In fact I was a bit worried about someone sueing me because they had an epilepsy attack:
CREE XML XM-L 1800 Lumens LED Cycling Bicycle Light bike Headlamp HeadLight Lamp | eBay
It clips to the handlebars with a thick rubber band, which is brilliant for quick release, but I'd rather have one that was bolted to the bike so it can't be removed.
This light arrived today and I'm very pleased. It looks identical to one branded as MagicShine, but costs under half the price. It is well made and seems to be a quality item.

I don't know if it has an 1800 Lumen output, as claimed, but it lights up the full length of my driveway with impressive brightness, which is about 100 foot. I can't see a need for anything with a greater output than this light and at just over £30, it's good value.

Thanks for the recommendation.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm glad you like it. Don't put it on flash at night time. I guarantee that you'll get stopped by the police. You'll know what I mean when you try it.

I wasn't too sure about mine at first because of the relatively narrow bright bit, but then I went to Ironbridge off-road at nightime down unlit tracks through the woods, and it was just like riding in the daylight except when there were very sharp turns. I've already used it a couple of times to make car drivers dip there lights and it works instantly. My mount is a bit flexible so I can easily nudge it into their direction and it springs back afterwards.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks who ever recommended the Cree 502b ultrafire torch. Good spread on the light and for £21 for 1000 lumen torch light it's good. Much better than my old one that was stolen.

I've attached some pictures for reference.
I got mine from a uk supplier. But if you wait a bit you can buy it direct from hk for £17 and you get two 18650 cells and a dual charger.

Just need decide if I want to attach it to my bike or helmet.