Lights (again, sorry)

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Hello All,

Rather than scroll through potentially hours of forums finding conversations about lights (and I know there are plenty), I have found this one.

Lezyne Power Drive Light | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

What do you all think. I can't afford the mega lights but something decent that will light my way on dark country roads & lanes with no street lamps. 300 lumen sounds allot to me. is it? It says its good for serious commuter (Hello) and entry level off roader (not me)

Considering all things are relative, I just want to improve on a torch I've strapped to my handlebars and a stupid head unit, that works kind of OK.

What are your opinions on this?

Also, I have quite allot of cables looped in front of the handlebars, being an e-bike 'n all, just wondering what people can do about that when they buy handlebar mounted lights...

Your thoughts please, fellow e-bikers!

Matt

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Actually, anyone seen anything else they know to be good, on or around that price point?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That light is a lot of money and with a bit of effort on your part, you will be able to do a lot better than that. Take a look at recent threads and the DealExtreme website for recommendations.

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Wow! How can they be so cheap? Are they C**p, I mean, will they fall apart in a year... mind you, just buy another one :)

Blimey! thanks for that.

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Does anyone know of anything this cheap (ish) but would be delivered sooner than 14 days or so?

I guess thats the idea, isnt it.

Matt

mikep

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2011
Lymington, Hampshire
All the lights identified so far appear to be basically "torches" modified to use on bikes, giving probably a concentrated beam ahead. I'll put forward another option which is roughly the price of the light you've seen.

When I was looking for a headlight for both unlit country lane/cycle path and urban use I settled on the Philips, the link below is to Rosebikes, currently the cheapest on offer that I've found.

Philips LED headlight Bike Light Set at a low price in the online bike shop www.rosebikes.com

The reason I bought the Philips is simply because its designed to spread a beam like a car dipped beam, without any bright spots. Even on the low setting the output is quite good enough to cycle safely, which is important because on max setting it is bright enough to trouble oncoming traffic.

I've used it a couple of times and the spread of light into periphery vision is excellent which is what I wanted for the New Forest lanes so that I could see animals on the verges.

D

Deleted member 4366

I got this one. It's a lot cheaper and an awful lot brighter. I would say similar to my motorbike headlight on main beam, but with a more focused beam. When you set it to flash, everyone will take notice - trust me!. In fact I was a bit worried about someone sueing me because they had an epilepsy attack:
CREE XML XM-L 1800 Lumens LED Cycling Bicycle Light bike Headlamp HeadLight Lamp | eBay
It clips to the handlebars with a thick rubber band, which is brilliant for quick release, but I'd rather have one that was bolted to the bike so it can't be removed.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
As well as the one from mikep and the one in the OP, in the same price range is the Hope Vision 1:

Hope Vision 1 LED | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Main advantages with the Hope, for me, is that it uses AA's which are available anywhere, I use rechargeables, the light can be moved between bikes quickly, there is good spot and reasonable flood, plenty of light for Road, just enough for fast off-road (two are preferable).

Other advantages are: Solid Aluminium construction, can be helmet mounted (a bit on the heavy side though), can be adjusted side-to-side a few degrees whilst on the move and can easily rotate up and down on the move without losing friction on the bar and comes with a lanyard for normal torch carrying.

80Lux for mikep's torch is pretty bright, I also own some Busch and Muller 60Lux lights which I would say are approx 200 Lumen and are plenty enough for the road.

One thing to consider for mainly road use, is consideration for other road users, I'm all for being seen, but in the right way, you don't really want to be dazzling other road users just because you can burn out their eyeballs with an ultra bright light, so road use normally means using the lower power settings anyway (also means much longer battery life too).

Also consider two lights on the bars for road use, one flasher (plenty of cheap flashers about) for attention and one solid for finding your way and helping other road users judge your speed and distance.

These Knog ones make a good cheap easy to fit/remove flasher, I use a red one as a spare or additional on the rear:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51661

Off road is a different matter of course, but even then in foggy, misty conditions the power output needs to be modulated so that backscatter does not blind you. I run with 2 on the bars and a helmet mounted Fenix HP20 headtorch for off-road use.

Last edited:

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
thank you everyone, you have really helped. For now, I have ordered this one:

ZOOM LED CREE 270-300lmns Bike light+ULTRAFIRE 18650 recharge batt+Fast charger | eBay

I will see how I get on but I will probably then end up buying this Mo Fo

CREE XML XM-L 1800 Lumens LED Cycling Bicycle Light bike Headlamp HeadLight Lamp | eBay

1800 lumens or something silly.

I will not blind people as I will angle them carefully but push them up when on my own on the road, which is quite often.

I will see how I get on. I usually get these kind of things badly wrong.

Matt

DK2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2011
I use a Hope Vision one, and it's a fantastic light. Loft of light on dark lanes and paths, and when in the city one can use a lower or flashing mode to save power.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Nice thread. Its all such a balancing act between, direct or wide beam and battery life.

I must admit I am tempted to get a more powerfull wide beam light up front. I currently have a single knog type LED and Cateye 3 * LED direct beam type torch that uses 3*AAA. Lasts for 60/70 hours steady though.

Some of those listed only last 180 minutes!

Ps I quite like the look of this one which is small and in keeping with my little Brompton :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
My bike came with this.
Oxford Ultra Torch

Oxford 9 LED Ultra Torch: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Which has been ok. Build quality good and the beam is pretty good. Eats batteries but I use 3x AAA Ni-hi and just recharge every now and then.

Infact amazon are doing them dirt cheap so might get a second one.
Not as good as some lights but enough to be seen and as there dirt cheap you can buy a few.

£6 on amazon at the moment.
But only good for being in lit area's your not going to get a huge beam of light.

Infact as all the batteries inside are series you could buy lithium batteries AAA and paralell them and they'd last ages. Getting off topic.

I'd probably say the others are better.

D

Deleted member 4366

All those lights seem adequate and I'm sure their owners are happy with them, but they're like lights for kids bikes after you've tried the 1800 lumen one that I mentioned earlier. It has a fourpack of 18650 rechargeable lithium cells and easily lasts for my 2 hours of daily commuting. I can't remember how long it's supposed to go for. You just put it on charge while you charge your main battery. Its battery clips to the frame with velcro.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'm definetly thinking of upgrading like alot of things on my bike lol.
I don't really know what lumens are in real world light.

Does it compare to say a car head light or a motorbike 55w bulb?!?
What does that kick out?

D

Deleted member 4366

Does it compare to say a car head light or a motorbike 55w bulb?!?
What does that kick out?
Possibly brighter but narrower beam (for the brightest bit). I was riding home today at about 2 pm. It was a bit gloomy, but my no means dark. I was lighting up signs on both sides of the road at the same time about 1/4 mile away with it on half power. That's in the daylight!