Lights again

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

The nights are drawing in, and soon people will be asking about the best lights. Here's a new one from Banggood for £12.41 including postage:
http://www.banggood.com/LED10-U_S-CREE-U2-Chip-10W-Motorcycle-Headlight-Motor-Lamps-HiLo-Beam-p-936965.html
It's much neater than their previous ones and looks to be waterproof too. It comes with various bracketry. I modified one to fix it to the fork crown. Apart from it's exceptionally bright light from the Cree U2 emitter, it's main advantage is that you can connect it to your bike's battery with a switch on one wire to turn it on and off.

I have a torch with three Cree T6 emitters. They both give out about the same amount of light, but the Banggood one has a brighter narrower middle. The spread of light away from the middle is about the same.

For those of you that have never tried a light with a Cree T6 emitter, you have to recalibrate your brain to understand the amount of light that comes out of these. Forget your bike shop, Aldi and Magic Shine lights. You wouldn't even know they're on when this one's around.

This is the LED10 light. There's also a LED 20 that I think has a bigger emitter (12w instead of 7w), and if that's not enough, there's the LED 100 and 200, which I believe run at higher current (10w and 15w) because they have an extra heatsink on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Much better than the previous one you purchased?

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Do you know what the actual LED is? U2 and T6 are just "bins" as they are known - in effect just classifications within a particular LED type. I'm going to guess the Banggood is a single XM-L emitter.

I made a twin head light for my road bike a couple of years ago with two XM-L U2 LEDs with a dipped beam arrangement so as not to dazzle oncoming road users. I've had cyclists think I'm a very quiet car as I come up to overtake...

Michael

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
I've been looking around for a decent front light. I've done a couple of commutes in the dark, and the built-in light on the Wisper is OK-ish, but not really adequate for dark rural roads. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/volt-300-front-usb-rechargeable-light-ec052622

which has the advantage of being USB-rechargeable, so I can plug it into the computer at work and get my lighting free from my employer. Has anyone bought one of these?

For connecting to the bike's battery, how does one go about this? I was wondering about the possibility of wiring in a 12V socket so I could use my satnav, recharge the phone etc while on the road, but I can't see where I could tap in, or how to reduce the bike's 37V to something useable.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've been looking around for a decent front light. I've done a couple of commutes in the dark, and the built-in light on the Wisper is OK-ish, but not really adequate for dark rural roads. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/volt-300-front-usb-rechargeable-light-ec052622

which has the advantage of being USB-rechargeable, so I can plug it into the computer at work and get my lighting free from my employer. Has anyone bought one of these?
For Christ's sake, didn't you read what I wrote. That light probably isn't even as bright as your Wisper one and it costs £45. For a tenth of that price, you can get this one that runs direct from your battery and will be twice as bright:
http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Bicycle-Assist-Lamp-LED-Headlights-Modification-Spotlight-p-919876.html

If you really need to spend a lot of money, get one with a Cree t6 XML emitter. You can pay over £100 for them, though they're just as bright as the ones that cost £8, seeing as they have the same emitter.

Reactions: steve.c and tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
d8veh is the Lighting Guru. I usually follow his advice on lighting. There really is no need to spend a lot of money, particularly on front lights.

I've yet to see anything which will better my rear light though. But that cost £50 and I can'tremember the name of it just now.

Edit: BikeRay rear light. Not yetfound anything to match it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainsport
D

Deleted member 4366

Tilson, you forgot to mention which light you've got!

I'm not a guru, but I must admit I do like to try different lights. My knowledge of rear lights is fairly limited.

Last night I went out with Saneagle for a ride in the dark. I used my favourite rear light, which is a Smart Lunar double LED one. I fix it to the back of my helmet with only one of the two LEDs on. As I was standing there, Saneagle said, " Bloody hell Dave, you look like a traffic light". I had wondered why cars were always very reluctant to pass me.

He was using two of those little Aldi clip on ones, one on each side of his bike. They were pretty bright too. As he disappeared in the distance (not his lights though) with both flashing, he looked like a police car that had pulled someone over, and I could see the cars that overtook me immediately slow down while they tried to figure out what was ahead of them.

I don't believe that you need to spend so much money on rear lights. Those Aldi ones are very bright. The Smart Lunar often comes top in comparisons, which is why I bought it and is bright enough for fog, but to be honest, it's a bit too bright for a rear light.

On his last bike, Saneagle had one of those ones that makes two laser lines on the road. That feature was pretty useless, but the main part gave a very nice multi-directional spread of light. It looked very similar to a good motorcycle rear light.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My current front light is the last Banggood one which you brought to our attention. It has fins all over it, takes a wide range of input voltages and needs the cable entry sealing. It's a good light, but I might try your latest suggestion. I like lights!

The BikeRay rear light is in a class of its own. It demands attention even on a sunny day.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

For connecting to the bike's battery, how does one go about this? I was wondering about the possibility of wiring in a 12V socket so I could use my satnav, recharge the phone etc while on the road, but I can't see where I could tap in, or how to reduce the bike's 37V to something useable.
That Cateye is a decent light, I have something similar made by Lezyne.

Very neat, and the USB charging is handy.

Note Evans describes the Cateye as having batteries which are 'safe' - that a veiled reference to some of the cheap Chinese rechargeables which have been known to catch fire.

The Cree and various copies are bright.

Something equivalent to an air raid searchlight is great for trails at night, but can be too bright for commuting when there are lots of other road users about.

The Cateye will probably throw a good beam, but won't be bright enough to disturb others.

Sometimes, less is more.

Reactions: Black Dog

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Something equivalent to an air raid searchlight is great for trails at night, but can be too bright for commuting when there are lots of other road users about.
This is a very important point, and one which some of the light manufacturers are trying to address. One of the first bike lights with a shaped road beam was the Philips Saferide (in its various incarnations), and Busch and Muller produce some good lights with similar dipped road beams. It's all about putting lumens in the right place on the road and not spraying them everywhere.

Of course, as you say for night trails you don't have to be so careful - indeed a standard symmetrical beam can be more useful. My lights put a lot of light on the road but don't illuminate up at the sides, so don't for example pick up branches straying into a trail.

Michael

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
The nights are drawing in, and soon people will be asking about the best lights. Here's a new one from Banggood for £12.41 including postage:
http://www.banggood.com/LED10-U_S-CREE-U2-Chip-10W-Motorcycle-Headlight-Motor-Lamps-HiLo-Beam-p-936965.html
It's much neater than their previous ones and looks to be waterproof too. It comes with various bracketry. I modified one to fix it to the fork crown. Apart from it's exceptionally bright light from the Cree U2 emitter, it's main advantage is that you can connect it to your bike's battery with a switch on one wire to turn it on and off.

I have a torch with three Cree T6 emitters. They both give out about the same amount of light, but the Banggood one has a brighter narrower middle. The spread of light away from the middle is about the same.

For those of you that have never tried a light with a Cree T6 emitter, you have to recalibrate your brain to understand the amount of light that comes out of these. Forget your bike shop, Aldi and Magic Shine lights. You wouldn't even know they're on when this one's around.

This is the LED10 light. There's also a LED 20 that I think has a bigger emitter (12w instead of 7w), and if that's not enough, there's the LED 100 and 200, which I believe run at higher current (10w and 15w) because they have an extra heatsink on the back.

Technical question. What would be the negative effect, when running this light, on my battery and my anticipated range before battery depletion

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Let's assume you have a 36v, 10ah battery. That's 360wh.

This light is 10w, so your battery would run it for a solid 36h .

Or to put it another way, if you run it for 1 hour, it will consume 1/36th of your battery power. Less than 3%.

Or to put it yet another way, the square root of f##k all.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
For Christ's sake, didn't you read what I wrote.
That's a pretty hostile response to a genuine question, frankly.

To answer you, yes I did read what you wrote, and in fact I have two similar lights on my motorcycle, and very good they are. But I am looking for something I can just clip to the bars, not something I need to wire into the battery. Thanks for taking the time to reply, anyway.

Reactions: axolotl

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
d8veh is the Lighting Guru. I usually follow his advice on lighting. There really is no need to spend a lot of money, particularly on front lights.

I've yet to see anything which will better my rear light though. But that cost £50 and I can'tremember the name of it just now.

Edit: BikeRay rear light. Not yetfound anything to match it.
What is the wattage or the lumens for this light tillson?

MS.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
What is the wattage or the lumens for this light tillson?

MS.
It's a 3 Watt Cree LED. It has a red emitter, not a red filter over a white emitter, so you get the full 3 Watts of unfiltered pure red light.

It's a nicely made article and has the feel of quality about it. What I particularly like is the fact that it attracts attention in bright sunlight and I have it switched on all the time, day and night.

I've not found a cheap equivelant of this light. I suppose you could stick a red filter over one of the excellent cheap from lights which d8veh has found for us, but by doing so you reduce the output by only allowing the red light to pass through it.

Here is the link to it http://bikerayuk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=55

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
It's a 3 Watt Cree LED. It has a red emitter, not a red filter over a white emitter, so you get the full 3 Watts of unfiltered pure red light.

It's a nicely made article and has the feel of quality about it. What I particularly like is the fact that it attracts attention in bright sunlight and I have it switched on all the time, day and night.

I've not found a cheap equivelant of this light. I suppose you could stick a red filter over one of the excellent cheap from lights which d8veh has found for us, but by doing so you reduce the output by only allowing the red light to pass through it.

Here is the link to it http://bikerayuk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=55
Nice and informative reply. :)

MS.