Lightweight motor + batteries in a pedal !?

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Really sorry about the duplicate, I didn't check before posting... :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No problem Daniel, we get lots of visitors and many members only come in intermittently, so repeat postings do serve a very useful purpose, I only post the links to previous comments so that all can read them. :)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I think we should make one of the posts a sticky ;)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
...as one of the posts on wired points out, one clip of the pedals on a speed bump, traffic island, curb - take your pick - and your pedal is toast. Never thought of that one.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have not seen this pic before when this discussed...is that a working model or a mock up:confused: I have an odd feeling that he may be on to something:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have not seen this pic before when this discussed...is that a working model or a mock up:confused: I have an odd feeling that he may be on to something:eek:
He previously explained it's a sort of working model, only low capacity batteries and a temporary motor, so not a true prototype. That's what the money is wanted for.

Personally I think it a dead end, power high enough with virtually no range, power too low with moderate range, or not enough of either.

Enough power will rotate the pedals from under someone's foot so a necessary sensor switch in each pedal to stop it doing that will make the power inadequate. I know that for certain from another context.

Certainly the concept can add some degree of power with very little weight gain, but it won't be anything like sufficient power/range combination for the great majority of e-bike customers.