Lightweight motors

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
I remember reading a little while ago about some really light weight Hub motors from China. I think they were around 1kg. I’m keen to try a really light weight conversion can anyone comment on the longevity of these motors, could they be paired with a Hoverboard battery (36V 4.4mAh), small capacity but enough to give a boost on hills?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You're probably thinking of the Xiongda YTW-06 that you can buy directly from Xiongda. You have to buy the special controller with it, and it's best to buy the pedal sensor and throttle with them because everything from Xiongda is pretty cheap.

You can only buy the bare motor, so you have to find your own rim and spokes to build the wheel. The jury's out on reliability. the first version did have some reliability issues, but they've had a lot of time since then to improve them.

It's a similar story with the Keyde motor, which is a similar size. The Keyde has a lot of different versions, some of which have internal controllers that are best avoided. You also have to buy these direct from Keyde.

Lastly, if you want solid reliability, there's the Q100, which is 2.2kg, and you can only get it from Chinese suppliers like the previous two.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

1.8kg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Keyde inform me that the wonderfully polite and helpful Sky Zhang has left the company and I'm sure we would all wish her the best.

"Dear respect client,

Please...
We apologize for any inconvenience..
In the future, Adela Chen in cc will responsible for the related work with your company.
Her details contact information are as follows:
Adela Chen

E-mail: chen@keyde.com

Mobile:+86 13095655467 Wechat: :+86 13095655467

TEL:+86-0575-83622888 Fax:+86-0575-83621666

Thank you for your continued support to our business.
We will do our best to provide you with better products and better services.
By the way, our *B160 all-in-one rear motor* has completed a series of tests and will be mass-produced from the beginning of December.
Thank you for your attention!
TKS. & B.RGDS.!
-------------------------------------------------
Zhejiang Chaoji Electric Tech. Co., Ltd.
www.keyde.com
2nd Dec.019"

Is the "B160 motor" something special? Maybe it's this on Alibaba:
"all-in-one motor/motor with battery inside/keyde motor. $439.00 / Piece. ... keyde electric bicycle kit 33v drive and controller unified motor with rim 6.3Ah li-ion"
Cheers
Mikel

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's a fundamental problem with all on one motors, which is heat. The controller is surrounded by hot copper coils, so it can't lose its heat as easily as a separate one can. Every single version of all in one motors, no matter whether big or small seems to have had reliability issues.

On the last version of the Keyde motor, they protected the controller with a temperature sensor, but every time you went up a steep hill, it tripped out, so you ended up walking until it cooled back down.

Keyde have been persisting with these motors for nearly 10 years now. If they were that bad, one would have thought that they'd have gone bust by now, so maybe things have improved.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think 160 refers to the diameter, so it's a medium sized motor, though it has the battery inside it. from a heat point of view, that might be even worse. Who knows though, it might be a gem.

here it is on their website

Also, it's only rated at 6 amps (probably a 12A controller) at 30v, so that would be equivalent to 9.6A max from a regular 36v ebike system, and if you use more than half of that continuously, it's going to overheat. That's 173w from the battery or 121w of output power. Double those powers for a short time.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Well, hats off for getting all that into the 160mm motor casing, I'd love to see inside one, but not trying to fix any issues.:eek:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Adela Chen of Keyde replied thus:
"B160 is built into 10Ah 30V battery ,controller and sensor inside all inside.
It can work with wireless display and App, IOS and Android can both download App on our website .

The B160 motor also can work without wireless display and App.

The price of B160 is usd439/pc, 30V charger is usd/pc".
Its "gearless", meaning roller reduction for hills, not direct drive!
Also mentions rpm range 160-260rpm, so i asked if one still had to ask for a specific winding.
Cheers. Mikelall in one motor B160.png

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I like the idea of wireless installation, but you'll only be able to get spare parts from Keyde, if at all. All things considered, a Q100H, sine wave controller and 20 cell 36v battery will be the same weight, but have double the power and/or a lot more range. It's likely to be more reliable and easier to fix or modify if it does go wrong.

It might be worth enquiring about what happens when the battery wears out, which I reckon will be soon compared with a normal one. If it's glued in, you'll need a new motor.

Convert-e-Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 21, 2020
I remember reading a little while ago about some really light weight Hub motors from China. I think they were around 1kg. I’m keen to try a really light weight conversion can anyone comment on the longevity of these motors, could they be paired with a Hoverboard battery (36V 4.4mAh), small capacity but enough to give a boost on hills?
Just taken a Ghost bike with a Keyde conversion in for repair. The motor spins up but there is no actual drive to the wheel.. I am about to attempt a strip down...wish me luck.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just taken a Ghost bike with a Keyde conversion in for repair. The motor spins up but there is no actual drive to the wheel.. I am about to attempt a strip down...wish me luck.
Show us some photos. I reckon you should be able to get spares direct from Keyde. I've never seen any at any of the normal stockists.

Reactions: Convert-e-Bike