Lightweight trailer

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello there,

Does any of you have or use a lightweight trailer?

All the one I see on eBay weight minimum 6 kg or much more.

I was thinking about a trolley and attach it to the back of my bike and use it as trailer:

Silverline 633565 Folding Sack Truck: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

It's super compact and lightweight.

Good idea?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
No. I've got one of those folding sack trolleys. I would say that the wheels are too small and not free running enough to use in the way that you intend.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I sometime use one of these trolley's when i'm working - ie not attached to a bike!
I would say be careful if you plan on towing one as the folding wheels can be prone to folding in when you least expect them, plus I'm not sure how stable and robust they would be being towed behind a bike. For my four penneth I would look for a cheap secondhand cycle trailer.

Cheers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Drag is related to trailer wheel size, very small wheels are poor in this respect. Try towing a person on roller skates and it feels like you are towing a car!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes I agree with you guys it's better to have a real bike trailer.

But they are either too big or too expensive. I can't see myself spending more than 150£ for a trailer. It's just a metal bar with 2 wheels on it.

The one on eBay or second hand are way too heavy and bulky. They don't fold and are around 10kg

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
they are either too big or too expensive.
If the Tesco Express is one mile away, then your scheme might work.

But I agree with others, little solid wheels would be truly horrid for any longer distance.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Bicycle,Bike,Cycle,Trailer,Luggage,Camping Fishing NEW | eBay

I use one of these. They're great value for money and not that heavy really. the whole point of having a trailer is to carry a lot of weight and then the weight of the trailer itself is, proportionately not as significant.

They also fold down flat for storage

If you're not carrying that much weight then you are better off using some panniers or a rucksack

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Bicycle,Bike,Cycle,Trailer,Luggage,Camping Fishing NEW | eBay

I use one of these. They're great value for money and not that heavy really. the whole point of having a trailer is to carry a lot of weight and then the weight of the trailer itself is, proportionately not as significant.

They also fold down flat for storage

If you're not carrying that much weight then you are better off using some panniers or a rucksack
How's it standing up to general use? I'm taken by the price of that, and I see there are four cosmetically damaged ones for sale at £42.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Oigoi, this trailer weight 10kg!! It's as heavy as a bike!!

And it's too small to put my brompton folded inside.

For few more kg, I'd rather have this:
Retrowagen Pakt trolley truck wagon folding trailer canopy beach garden festival | eBay

It's at 14.5 kg, but I can put much more things inside and the Brompton can be stored inside.

Or this one fold even smaller:
Garden Folding Trolley Cart c/w Liner 670h X 1050w X 550dmm Hand Truck | eBay

But it weight 18.5 kg :(
But these are not designed to be towed / have small wheels / will almost certainly be unstable pulled behind a bike.
15 kilo bike + 75 kilos rider + 30 kilos shopping means 10 kilos for trailer is less than 8% of total weight and thats for a fairly light package.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Before going any further with this project, you need to understand that you require a trailer, not a hand cart, sack trolley or garden trolley on wheels. If you carry on down this route, you are going to have an accident and hurt yourself.

The eBay trailer that has been suggested looks to be a good starting point. Can't you adapt that to your requirements? It's cheap enough and has sensible wheels. It has to be closer to what you want than your ideas.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Take note of what I said above cwah, the wheel size is far more important than the weight. Small wheels with solid or no bearings have lots of drag that you'll really feel, and four wheels doubles that drag. That's why the single wheel Bob-Yak type of trailer is so popular with serious cycle tourists, it's easiest to tow.

If you doubt my experience with trailers, here's my examples, large trailer weight 14 kg.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thank guys, you're right I better go on the safety road.

Garry, the trailer you indicated doesn't seem bad. The seller didn't show any picture of the folded trailer. If it folds completely flat, I'd probably buy this one.

Flecc, I take note of your advice. And by the way your trailer seems really nice. Too bad it's very heavy and doesn't fold wheel. Otherwise I'd have asked you where you had it lol

Ps: just read that you made it yourself!! Wow flecc :))

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
How's it standing up to general use? I'm taken by the price of that, and I see there are four cosmetically damaged ones for sale at £42.
I've only been using it for a few weeks, but it has handled some pretty heavy loads (full 19kg gas bottle about 25kg) and another trip was with two big lead acid batteries and a big toolbox.

Very happy with it for the money. Only thing that I would want to improve is that the cover isn't waterproof so I might make a solid lid for it for rainy trips.

Cwah I agree 100% with what others have said. It is a really bad idea to buy a trailer with tiny wheels. It will bounce all over the place when you hit a bump and be unsafe, and likly get a pinch puncture if you are traveling with a heavy load on.

Your brompton has quite a powerful motor I understand? It will have no problem pulling a 10kg trailer unless you have to climb up 1 in 4 hills!

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The seller for the single wheel trailer didn't want to send me any picture of the folded trailer...

But I got my answer from the seller on this trolley:

Garden Folding Trolley Cart c/w Liner 670h X 1050w X 550dmm Hand Truck | eBay

"if your bike fits and can take the weight load then thats fine."

It's 18kg, but it's huuuuge and I can probably bring all my stuff with me on the eurostars or train when necessary!!

I can attach the trolley carry bar to the seat post bar of my bike. It's going to have enough torque with my new mac motor for sure...

Hmm.. I may get this trolley..

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
The seller for the single wheel trailer didn't want to send me any picture of the folded trailer...

But I got my answer from the seller on this trolley:

"if your bike fits and can take the weight load then thats fine."

It's 18kg, but it's huuuuge and I can probably bring all my stuff with me on the eurostars or train when necessary!!

I can attach the trolley carry bar to the seat post bar of my bike. It's going to have enough torque with my new mac motor for sure...

Hmm.. I may get this trolley..
what a surprise and when you discover its not a good idea (its not) for towing behind a bike then what ?

You know how badly shopping trolleys handle in super markets i would fully expect this to be not much better. Fine for pulling along at a few MPH but any more and its likely to go all over the place.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Dear Cwah

If you seriously think that a garden trolley would be effective or safe towed any distance behind a bicycle, then you must inhabit a universe which has different physical characteristics from the one inhabited by the rest of us.

More generally, perhaps you might consider the old saying that thinking about bicycle trailers is nature’s way of telling you that it’s time to buy a car.

Any car would do, but of course a convertible would be best.

You could fund the purchase by selling the electic motors and batteries and controllers and chargers and fiddly little connectors and cables that you will no longer need.

You could keep the Brompton in the boot in case you have withdrawal symptoms for cycling, but you will probably be so enchanted by travelling at 28 mph (or even more) that soon that too will become a thing of the past.

Having a convertible will mean that Saturday evenings will no longer be spent scanning Ebay for 6 fet controllers, but on moonlit drives along balmy fragrant lanes to country house parties.

Also, you could just put your shopping in the boot.

I know this seems like a big step, but remember that a journey of a thousand miles begins with the turn of an ignition key.

Happy motoring

Andy

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I think you're all completely right guys. I sent a seller a big warning about handling issue with my bike. And also asked him if I can send it back if it's not working as well as expected.

Wait to see his answer.

The problem with the single speed trailer is that the seller didn't want to show me any picture of the trailer folded. So I suppose it woudn't fold very well.

And Andy, thanks for your very very wise advice. You were very right when you told me I needed a Brompton while I was looking for the perfect folding bike... And indeed I have 2 brompton now :)

But cars I owned already, and traffic jam I endured in the past. For Londoner, for sure it's not the right way to go to parties. Especially when they happen in the center of london. Trafic jam and no where to park, had this problem sooo many times when I was living in paris.