lithium battery from china

mga

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2010
what is the up to date position regarding duty and tax from this country any one who has done this please advise thanks ken

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Like any import from outside the EU a bit of a lottery...who knows! some get away with it some dont.....are you feeling lucky?:)

more importantly what if you have a problem with it, will they exchange/ refund? Better buying from someone with a track record and some history of decent support.....

D

Deleted member 4366

I bought one from China (10 AH £203) and didn't have to pay any duty. The suppliers can be very helpful in what they put on the customs paperwork - if you get my meaning. I have bought electric guitars from China and never had to pay duty, but for everything that I've bought from USA, I've had to pay the VAT plus a £12.50 handling charge.

drillam

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2010
South Coast
I bought two batteries, both 48v x 20ah and a 1000w kit, total around £960ish a few months back from a Chinese Ebay seller.
I got him to split it all down to three packages to three different addresses, no duty :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Duty application seems to run in phases. At one time I could regularly buy batteries and chargers from various sources in the USA with no duty applied, but more recently it's applied every time.

I've no doubt that at some time imports from China could start getting caught, but meanwhile enjoy the freedom while you can. :)

mga

Jul 14, 2010
many thanks for advice i have taken a chance and ordered it I willl let you know outcome ken

ELECTRIC AVENUES

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2010
It's hit and miss.

HM Customs simply do not employ enough people to do every package. Think of the sheer volume of stuff entering the UK from all over the non EU world. India, China, Singapore, Thailand, HK etc.

There are some hints: if your delivery is sent in by UPS, DHL, etc..then it will get nailed. Guaranteed.

Keep your orders under £20 and you should be OK.

I always ordered cells in small packets and built up a collection, then made my own battery.

mga

Jul 14, 2010
battery and charger arrived from china yesterday slight damage to charger despite careful packing however both items have been checked and seem to be ok parcel delivered by ems and parcelforce no vat or duties to be paid !!thanks for advice i now have to work out a method of fitting them onto an ezee cadence in the most efficient and visually pleasing method although the original battery was 10 amps i have purchased a 15 amp model hoping for a longer life battery Price difference was not too different price paid including charger 36v 15amp battery and bms including free delivery was 299 dollars/ 191 gb pounds ken

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
My order was recorded on the 9th so should be here this week at that rate:)

ronipozn

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2010
Try to split your package into a couple of smaller packages. You can order the batteries cells separated and assemble it your self in case of a battery.

When I'm ordering books, I'm always trying to make sure that it will be delivered with as many seperate packages as possible. and it has proved itself over the years:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Try to split your package into a couple of smaller packages. You can order the batteries cells separated and assemble it your self in case of a battery.

When I'm ordering books, I'm always trying to make sure that it will be delivered with as many seperate packages as possible. and it has proved itself over the years:)
Roni

Can`t see Cyclamatic on your list:)

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Never paid duty in over 500 purchases from China but always have from Usa.
Most China sellers send as gifts and reduce value on packaging. Even an e-bike conversion kit sent by sea[8weeks] didn't have duty charged.
I get the feeling customs turns a blind eye to Chinese imports for whatever reason. Maybe there's some kind of trade deal?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They do change from time to time, I've had a number of items including chargers from the USA duty free, but of late people are getting caught every time with stuff from there.

Maybe China will get it's turn one day.