Lithium battery replacement for old cytronex bike

RobL

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2017
Norfolk
I have tried for many months to see if the cytronex people in Winchester would sell a lithium battery and charger replacement for the standard Nimh battery on my early cytronex bike, which after buying a replacement battery some time ago for £250 from the shop, never charged or worked properly, apparently as I had left it uncharged for too many months before initial use.
I have now managed to get a new lithium battery (with new charger) fitted into the bottle tube shell by the excellent and helpful Jimmy at ebikebatteries.co.uk for £300 including postage both ways. This is great as I can use my old bike again without either wasting planetary resources, or spending £1000 on a new lithium battery conversion from cytronex, which is, I am sure, what they would preferably like me to do.
The battery works perfectly and pulls strongly. The replacement battery is a Panasonic NCR 18650GA 36V 14AH.
I am sure someone from cytronex will say that this is all wrong for H&S reasons or for other design reasons but I do feel that as the original electric kit on my trek bike has been made virtually redundant due to the lack of a ‘legacy’ battery solution from cytronex, that this is a good way to go!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Excellent solution Rob. There's no possible reason for objection since all thats needed is a 36 volt battery that delivers the modest current the motor on that Cytronex needs. You've topped that with a very large capacity increase giving far greater range.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't understand companies like Cytronex. They could easily provide a service for replacement batteries. All they need to do is get the old battery from the customer and use Jimmy to return it and send it back to the customer and charge £400. They make £100. The customer is happy and sticks with his brand loyalty. Instead, they give him a ridiculous price, so he tells everybody about the lack of long term support you get when you buy Cytronex stuff.

richard ayres

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 24, 2009
I have just phoned Cytronex to ask for a replacement bottle battery for my existing system and was told that they no longer make them - so this thread is really useful. The new Cytronex system was launched in 2017 - so up until that time they were still selling the old system. Someone who shelled out around £1000 for a "legacy" Cytronex conversion at that time would just about be needing their first replacement battery around now, and the company has made no provision for that at all. This does not surprise me having struggled with their terrible after sales service for years, but its a great pity that a UK company with an excellent product should look after their customers so poorly.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Living in Winchester I was biased towards Cytronex (and NoHills in an earlier existence I seem to remember). They were very helpful in the shop when we went in about unrelated (non e-bike) things. When we decided to go electric I saw their kits were not appropriate for our needs (and very pricey too), but also that there were lots of complaints about preorders and 'coming soon' never seeming to happen. As Richard says, it's a great pity.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They have a new kit now, but it uses bespoke battery, controller, control system and pedal sensor. It's very expensive for what it is. You can get a standard bottle battery for about £150 and a Q100 kit for around £250, which gives you a reliable and replaceable kit of the same weight and performance for less than half the price. I spoke with their staff for some time at the previous Cycle Show and thought that they were a bit arrogant. they told me that it was their own motor, which looks a lot like an Aikema/Q100 to me, and they said that you didn't need to file the forks, but wouldn't give an explanation why. I still can't see how either a 9mm or 10mm axle can fit both 9mm and 10mm drop-outs. they said that it was a special axle, without giving any details.

Last edited:

Mark/Cytronex

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Winchester
www.no-hills.com
We don’t often post on forums, but I think it is only fair to provide some factual balance on this topic:

Why we don’t make the NiMh battery packs anymore:
We did support the NiMh batteries continually for 11 years. We are a green company and wished to continue doing so for legacy customers but unfortunately, we could no longer get the NiMh charger, as the manufacturers ceased production. As a manufacturer ourselves we have to build in bulk, we cannot just make one NiMh battery pack, so once the chargers were no longer available, we had to be sure there was sufficient demand or we would end up with unsold packs ageing and then being recycled, which would not be green either.

In fact at the point we ceased production of NiMh bottles, demand was at a very low level because most customers tried Cytronex C1 before buying a new NiMh battery and decided to upgrade.

Please note it is incorrect to suggest that a Cytronex C1 Li-ion battery is a ‘’ridiculous price” of £995 – this is in fact the price for the entire kit about which AtoB said “without question, it’s the best power-assist kit on the market”.

Why we don’t make a compatible Lithium Ion battery for legacy Cytronex:
Designing a Lithium Ion battery pack is very different to a NiMh battery pack – safety has to be the first consideration and also factors like even temperature distribution are important for long life and safety. So, if the company referred to in this forum thread are packing anything like the quoted capacity into our original battery casing then I simply don’t see how that is ‘good practice’. It’s also not possible they can supply a 14Ah battery pack in our original bottle – the maximum that could possibly ever fit in the original bottle casing is 30 cells with no space for a protection circuit at all. This would provide a 10Ah pack according to the cell datasheet, but there would be no room for a protection module and in any case I am surprised these cells actually fit given the diameter. There would certainly be no room for expansion. So, for legitimate safety reasons, I would most certainly advise anyone who has this pack to ask the supplier to explain what the capacity really is, how they have fitted this capacity in the bottle casing (what is the configuration) and where they placed the protection circuit? I think it’s fair to say that as a reputable company with a quality product that I have personally invested all my time in over the best part of 14 years, I have deep concerns about battery packs such as those described carrying Cytronex branding on the casing.

In design terms Lithium Ion cells should be spaced and not touching, the pack should be designed with good temperature distribution for long life and the interconnects should be uniform such that there is not uneven resistance. None of these things would be possible with packing say 30 lithium Ion cells into our original bottle, if that is what is meant above. These considerations are different from NiMh packs. For the new Cytronex C1, because of the change from NiMH to Li-ion packs (which incidentally we manufacture here in Winchester) we changed the shape and design of the pack so it has no enclosed / surrounded cells for example.

We investigated many options for legacy customers when we launched C1, but I am sorry to say that every solution we investigated became too expensive to be viable. Customers would need the new bottle, which meant they needed the new bottle holder, which meant this needed new wiring. The end cost of which was prohibitive, especially considering the new bottle contains the main Cytronex electronics (designed and made by us here in England) inside, so the legacy controller becomes redundant.

Why we cannot recommend anyone else to provide a replacement service:
I see the first contributor said we would mention H&S – I wonder why they suggest (as a negative) that a reputable company like Cytronex should not be concerned with safety? To be clear – packing a large capacity lithium Ion battery pack into the space inside our original battery with 36V nominal, is not in our opinion safe and as a company we are bound by law to provide a safe product. Each different Lithium Ion battery packs need to go through rigorous testing to UN38.3 and I can tell you that the cost of this testing is in the region of £7,000. Clearly an individual making bespoke Lithium Ion packs for £300 has not invested this money like we are bound to do. Also, we have no idea of the quality of any protection circuit they may be using – we produce our own protection circuit and we manufacture our own lithium battery packs here in the UK tested to UN 38.8. So why would we (or how could we) recommend this as a viable and safe solution? We cannot.

I note that the above also says this company are providing a great service with collection and return of the above battery pack in the price of £300 (I just heard £320). The Li-ion pack size as described has to be transported as dangerous goods, so please confirm how they sent the battery back? Dangerous goods transport is very expensive and if the goods were sent without the proper labelling and transport considerations then there are obvious issues arising from that.

Richard – I am sorry we have not been able to meet your expectations, but we could not continue to provide support on an old system on a complementary basis. I note many emails to you, many sent late at night and certainly promptly, which is normal for us, so I don’t believe that can be described as “terrible after sales service”.

Despite the above I agree that I would love to have been able to offer a sustainable option for legacy system customers. I am passionate about reducing our carbon footprint and liberating bikes from sheds which is why I spent 9 years developing Cytronex C1 as a truly mass market product that consumers could fit to their own bikes without tools and the knowledge of some of those on this forum. There was simply no way to make the old and new systems compatible given the numerous and dramatic improvements in Cytronex C1. However, we offered Cytronex legacy for over 10 years and still support them as far as we can, so it is regrettable that we do not have a direct replacement battery. It is also worth noting that we are growing, whilst many of the ebike companies from when we started have now disappeared. This is because we are innovators – and back in 2008 we produced the first good looking electric bikes with the concept of a battery disguised as a water bottle. Currently we hold 4 international patents including our gear tooth sensor. Uniquely (as far as I am aware) we also produce our product here in England.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
18650 cell has a smaller footprint then NIMH cell so 40 cells will fit quite nicely inside, the GA cell is a3450mah cell so 13.8mah capacity.
Jimmy at Ebike batteries.co.uk is top battery builder who doesn't do things by half.

NIMH 'D' cell is 32.5mm dia x 3 = 97.5 mm, a 18650 cell is 18mm so 4 cells in P will only be 72mm.

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
18650 cell has a smaller footprint then NIMH cell so 40 cells will fit quite nicely inside, the GA cell is a3450mah cell so 13.8mah capacity.
Jimmy at Ebike batteries.co.uk is top battery builder who doesn't do things by half.

NIMH 'D' cell is 32.5mm dia x 3 = 97.5 mm, a 18650 cell is 18mm so 4 cells in P will only be 72mm.

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
just wondering would this also apply to the new c1 cytronex battery, handy to know for future reference, thanks

Mark/Cytronex

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Winchester
www.no-hills.com

Sorry, I don't know what you mean - the lithium cell mentioned in the first post and the NiMh cell we used in legacy bottles are both 18650 and the NiMh cell has a slightly smaller diameter. We have never used D cells. It is most certainly not possible to fit 40, let alone 30 in the original Cytronex bottle!

RobL

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2017
Norfolk
just wondering how Robl is getting on with his new battery pack from jimmy at ebikebatteries
A year later and I have, really for the first time since I bought the bike, enjoyed the original concept of a light battery bike with long rides on it in the norfolk countryside, mixing normal riding and the occasional assistance, and so far I haven't been blown off my bike by a battery explosion.
The battery charges and runs perfectly and I am happily using what feels like a new bike. I would still hope that a greener legacy solution from cytronex for Nimh battery bike owners would be for them to produce (or work with people what can produce) a lithium battery upgrade. In the meantime well done again to Jimmy at ebike batteries!

Reactions: flecc

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
A year later and I have, really for the first time since I bought the bike, enjoyed the original concept of a light battery bike with long rides on it in the norfolk countryside, mixing normal riding and the occasional assistance, and so far I haven't been blown off my bike by a battery explosion.
The battery charges and runs perfectly and I am happily using what feels like a new bike. I would still hope that a greener legacy solution from cytronex for Nimh battery bike owners would be for them to produce (or work with people what can produce) a lithium battery upgrade. In the meantime well done again to Jimmy at ebike batteries!

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
ok thanks Robl, just to ask is there a significant difference in mileage with new battery as compared to previous when that was new, cheers

RobL

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2017
Norfolk
As the second nimh battery I bought from cytronex never worked properly I have gone from about zero to what feels like infinity with the new lithium battery power; seriously though I can ride sufficiently assisted for a few hours at a time on what are relatively flat norfolk lanes.
A comparison between the original cytronex battery and the new lithium battery would be a bit of a guess but I seem to remember that the it would last for about 10 miles when factoring in Somerset hills, my body size (I am 6 foot tall, normal weight) and general laziness, and I would guess that the new battery would last for at least double, possibly triple that mileage.

Reactions: flecc

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
As the second nimh battery I bought from cytronex never worked properly I have gone from about zero to what feels like infinity with the new lithium battery power; seriously though I can ride sufficiently assisted for a few hours at a time on what are relatively flat norfolk lanes.
A comparison between the original cytronex battery and the new lithium battery would be a bit of a guess but I seem to remember that the it would last for about 10 miles when factoring in Somerset hills, my body size (I am 6 foot tall, normal weight) and general laziness, and I would guess that the new battery would last for at least double, possibly triple that mileage.