Lithium is the future!

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
Or at least the big car manufacturers would seem to think that's the case according to this article from Clean Fleet report

With that level of investment in Lithium technology hopefully we can expect spin off benefits both in terms of price and performance for electric bike batteries?

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I doubt the future will be Li-ion. Lockheed Martin just threw its lot in with EEStore who are claiming to be near commercial production of a storage technology that will store at 10 times the electrical density of existing batteries and recharge in 5 minutes enough to power a car for 250 miles (42 KW I think the figure was), and will cost about £1500 for that type of capacity.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Trouble is that the cars are always "tomorrow" John. I've been wanting to buy for a long time, but once again the Mitsubishi i-car electric and the Smart electric have been deferred for another year, Mitsubishi admitting it's the lithium batteries causing the delay. Lithium goes back over a decade now, but year after year it's promises, promises, but always tomorrow.

I've given up, and I won't believe anything from the hype until I see a choice of realistic and practical cars on the market from the major manufacturers.

With our much smaller demands we probably will see more progress. Some in the forum are very optimistic about lithium iron, but e-bike manufacturers in partnership with the battery manufacturers have still to introduce it on well known e-bikes despite two years of researching it. The current producer and importer opinion is that lithium polymer is the best way forward at present, so showing little faith in lithium iron.