Lockdown

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Neil
I can honestly say I’m going to enjoy doing the jobs I’ve avoided for some time, years in some cases with a couple mentioned already.
My wife (apart from the restriction/situation itself) seems more than happy at the thought of these naggable jobs now on the to do’ list with a honest expectation of them actually being completed. Lol
Until yesterday I was still working.
I have been put on a 3 month furlough. For the last 2 weeks I have been living in my Motorhome as my wife and kids have been in isolation and as a key worker I have had to keep away. My depot Management team allowed me to park up in a quiet corner and live on site, complete with electric hook up, Internet and water.
I have been using my gsd for getting stores and provisions for the family and keeping in touch via social media etc. So I am ready for some downtime.
I don't have anything other than general maintenance to do at home, but I have an old vespa gs to restore (had this for 2 years and done very little with it) and 2 young children to keep amused so I won't be bored!

Reactions: Artstu and flecc

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I am glad I gave up driving buses last year after a heart attack having seen the news yesterday of 3 drivers and 2 controllers dying of coronavirus in London, not surprising given the shoddy practices some of the major bus companies are adopting.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
I am glad I gave up driving buses last year after a heart attack having seen the news yesterday of 3 drivers and 2 controllers dying of coronavirus in London, not surprising given the shoddy practices some of the major bus companies are adopting.
Yeah, last month or so has been a bit rough. I have been doing a bit of everything, driving on routes that I don't normally do as well as my own rota. To be fair my company has been on the ball with driver safety and have protected us as well as they could. I am glad to be off the road for a while though. It has been nice to have a bit of recognition from the public and driving on empty roads has been great!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am glad I gave up driving buses last year after a heart attack having seen the news yesterday of 3 drivers and 2 controllers dying of coronavirus in London,
This news I found particularly alarming since our London bus travel is entirely contactless at the bus doors on a single fixed fare of £1.50 per hour of travel on any buses. No cash travel allowed so no need for any sort of driver and passenger contact/interaction.

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
This news I found particularly alarming since our London bus travel is entirely contactless at the bus doors on a single fixed fare of £1.50 per hour of travel on any buses. No cash travel allowed so no need for any sort of driver and passenger contact/interaction.
Our company have the same precautions in place, to be honest that's pretty much all that can be done. As a bus driver you have to accept that it is a public facing job but I feel that we are much less at risk than say a supermarket cashier. Our public interaction is quite brief, whereas ringing up items passing through a till handling cash and waiting for/assisting with customers packing shopping takes much longer.
Work wise we have been carrying much fewer passengers. My last shift at work I did 3 different routes a total of 15 trips and carried 20 passengers all day.

Reactions: Amoto65 and flecc

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Unfortunately the buses around here are still taking cash as well as not practicing social distancing due to the mess rooms being to small.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately the buses around here are still taking cash as well as not practicing social distancing due to the mess rooms being to small.
That's really bad, I feel sorry for the crews who are having to suffer those risks.

Our bus-tram interchange a couple of miles away apparently also has inadequate mess facilities but our end of route cul de sac has a bus stand close to me where the drivers can take their breaks between runs inside their buses. Passengers aren't allowed to get on board there either.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Flecc, in the rare case of me going to London and using a bus (never have done so in 77 years though), just how do you pay?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You place your card (contactless bank card, Oyster, OAP bus pass) on the reader at the entrance.

(last time I was there it was just show the OAP card as London hadn't caught up with the rest of the country on reading them).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, in the rare case of me going to London and using a bus (never have done so in 77 years though), just how do you pay?
As sptj says. The Oyster card was a very early contactless card long before the banks caught up. Direct from TfL or from many retail outlets, the card was free but cash could be added to it by the retailer or from a bank account by TfL. Any unused is fully refunded on request.

Years ago I had an Oyster card for a while on auto top up from my bank account, very convenient.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Last time I got on a bus was back in January, everybody on it was coughing and sneezing. I remember texting my other half saying I'd likely end up in A&E the way the day was going.
Exactly one week later I was Ill, still not sure what it was but it lasted two whole weeks and I can kick a cold into touch in three days. I'd love to know if I caught the virus, it was around then but just not recognised as such.

As for lockdown myself & partner decided over a month ago to seal ourselves indoors. I see lockdowns as a nuisance no more, I just won't let it get to me. If I have to stay inside for a whole year I'll do it.

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
That's really bad, I feel sorry for the crews who are having to suffer those risks.

Our bus-tram interchange a couple of miles away apparently also has inadequate mess facilities but our end of route cul de sac has a bus stand close to me where the drivers can take their breaks between runs inside their buses. Passengers aren't allowed to get on board there either.
Our depot is currently running at about 30% staff levels. This addressed the social distance issues with communal areas. P. P. E (gloves, hand sanitiser etc) has been made available to all staff. The bottom line is this, anyone dealing with the general public is at risk no matter what precautions are put in place. However our role is vital in helping other key workers and keeping the country moving until this terrible virus is controlled

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Buses are still running here on the south coast but with a slightly reduced service. Ironically from what I can see looking out of the window they appear to be running empty.

It's strange how this shopping thing is turning out to be. My daughter has just reported in from Stevenage and it seems supermarkets are almost back to normal, plenty of stock on their shelves but oddly no people buying it.
Apparently the Sainsbury's store she visited was devoid of customers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's strange how this shopping thing is turning out to be. My daughter has just reported in from Stevenage and it seems supermarkets are almost back to normal, plenty of stock on their shelves but oddly no people buying it.
Apparently the Sainsbury's store she visited was devoid of customers.
That's torn it.

The roads to Stevenage are going to be clogged tomorrow. :(

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Can't imagine my daughter walking that far from her home to shop...bet she got a lift.

It's strange how we seem to be living in parallel universes at the moment. Looking out of the window from what I call my 'Office' I can watch the world go by, I'm about 60ft up so can see a fair distance.

I realise I am extremely fortunate as I can see the South Downs from the back windows and from the other side of my flat ships passing through the Solent with the IOW in the distance. I can see more inside than out strangely enough, plus it's a large place so myself & partner will hunker down for as long as it takes.
What's odd though is how people are behaving outside. Earlier I spotted walking along outside a group of young people, far more than the instructed figure. As they walked laughing and joking an Ambulance shot past lights flashing very possibly carrying yet another victim....they didn't even look up, incredible.

Some relatives of my partner recently held a Coronavirus party ! friends piled round and it carried on through the night. It's as though there are two separate forms of human being in existence, believers and non-believers, perhaps it should be against the law to be a virus denier.

Reactions: sjpt