locks

Boo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2008
Now i've got my pro connect and yes i have managed to ride up all my hills :)

I am now investigating locks :confused:

I've read all the stuff about chains v D locks etc and will invest in due course
but
I quite like the Axa defender lock for quick stops at the corner store etc
does anyone know if they will fit the pro connect ok? I know they are as standard on the Tasman

I am assuming that I should also get the accessory to fit to a bike with V brakes?

Has any one added them and are they easy to attach for those with no bike knowledge?

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Now i've got my pro connect and yes i have managed to ride up all my hills :)

I am now investigating locks :confused:

I've read all the stuff about chains v D locks etc and will invest in due course
but
I quite like the Axa defender lock for quick stops at the corner store etc
does anyone know if they will fit the pro connect ok? I know they are as standard on the Tasman

I am assuming that I should also get the accessory to fit to a bike with V brakes?

Has any one added them and are they easy to attach for those with no bike knowledge?
watch this first..

YouTube - A new phase in security

Boo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2008
That video is the SL7 & 9 locks
the new defender lock is supposed to have taken this into account

there's always a way round most locks eventually :(

still don't know how easy to fit though

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Boo, have a look on the page below and you'll see the AXA SL7 and it's fitting kit, which comprises two "cup hooks" to go around the frame tubes and the associated plates that back onto the lock. The cup hooks bolt though one of the three slots you can see on the inner lock plate sides, so I doubt it's too difficult to do, and there's bound to be instructions with it.

AXA SL7, fitting kit and optional lock cable

Last edited:

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I think other than getting a lock with a design flaw, the biggest mistake you can make is to buy one (particularly cable) too thin in diameter.

I don't think you necessarly need a super heavy triple hardend boron chain(although i own one of these for my motor scooter), that's quite a bit to lug around, but a good U-lock is pretty secure. (unless it too has a design flaw like the older Kryptonites).

I have a U-lock and a bit more than an arms length of cable (not sure of the mm off hand, but thick as an index finger). It's not really that much extra weight, and I occasionally need the cable for thick trees or poles where the U-lock won't work alone. This has served me well for the last 4 years.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have a U-lock and a bit more than an arms length of cable (not sure of the mm off hand, but thick as an index finger). It's not really that much extra weight, and I occasionally need the cable for thick trees or poles where the U-lock won't work alone. This has served me well for the last 4 years.
If I am picturing this right then someone only needs to break your U-lock OR the cable to steal your bike, if you are happy with the cable as primary security then why bother with the U-lock at all?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
i fitted an Axa Defender to my wife's Powacycle. It's a great lock, very convenient to use. However the included fitting kit, which I recall is designed to put the lock in front of the forks, didn't work because of the battery placement. It also looked very fiddly. I therfore got the add-on kit to fix the lock to the brake mounts, and that was fine.

If I leave my bike anywhere at all risky, I use two locks - a d-lock and a cable - on the basis that it will be more of a pain to steal than a bike with one lock, and that the two types of lock need two different tools to break them. Two different locks are more than twice as secure as one!

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Don't take mine

If I am picturing this right then someone only needs to break your U-lock OR the cable to steal your bike, if you are happy with the cable as primary security then why bother with the U-lock at all?
When parking on a bike stand, I always fit one more lock than the others have fitted :D

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
When parking on a bike stand, I always fit one more lock than the others have fitted :D
Exactly. No lock is thief-proof so don't bother trying to find one, but make your bike a less inviting prospect than the alternatives.

It's a bit like the two men on the desert island with a man-eating lion. One is spending hours training to improve his sprinting. The other says 'why are you doing that? You'll never run faster than the lion'. The first says I don't have to run faster than the lion, just faster than you!'

The advantage of the Axa (in the UK, not the Netherlands) is that they are unusual, so many bike thiefs will prefer to have a go at something more familiar.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
yes, and if nothing else, make sure if you go with a single lock that it looks more imposing than the rest around it anyways! (or at least as good if they all are)

One thing I also use my cable with is the front wheel which is quick release. Because I am not parking in areas that are bicycle friendly I cannot always lock my bike in an ideal way.

I believe the typical U-lock is made for the racer bikes to actually take the wheel off and put the frame and wheel attached to one object. I just don't bother to take the wheel off everytime, so run the cable through it instead. If someone wants to bother to cut that thick of a cable to get just the front wheel, they can have it. (of course you guys with front hub motors might want to take front wheel security more seriously).

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
I quite like the Axa defender lock for quick stops at the corner store etc does anyone know if they will fit the pro connect ok? I know they are as standard on the Tasman
I have fitted the Axa Defender to my Pro-Connect. No special fitting is necessary. There are 2 bolt holes on the bike at just the right place to fit the Defender. However, I would recommend the optional chain as this can then be used to secure the front wheel.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Maybe I have misunderstood but I don't understand the point of these Axa locks which go around the wheel and stop it turning. Whats to stop someone picking it up and carrrying it off? I guess its similar to disc brake locks on motorcycles, but they are much heavier and still people will pick them up and load them into vans to steal them. If it was a good quality lock then the cable attachment would make it worthwhile.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Yes, I'd recommend getting the cable attachment. That works very well. You just lassoo the cable round any suitable object and click it in. It's far simpler to use than a standard cable lock.