London Velodrome

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
At last, being Chairman of BEBA has had a perk!

I was invited to attend the opening of the London Velodrome, all very exciting!

The 6,000-seat building, complete with its sweeping roof to mimic the curve of the track, is the first venue at the Olympic Park to be finished.

Sir Chris Hoy was among a team of 10 of Britain’s top sprint riders who tried out the now-completed Siberian pine track for the first time.

Velodrome David.jpg

It was all I could do to keep up! :D

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations David, did you manage to overtake from second place and win! :cool:

Pity you couldn't have ridden a 906 when doing it though, but of course that really would have been cheating. :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Congratulations David, did you manage to overtake from second place and win! :cool:

Pity you couldn't have ridden a 906 when doing it though, but of course that really would have been cheating. :D
Unfortunately Flecc I was pipped at the post, but they had been practicing!! :D

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Did you see the BMX track while you were there? My wife desperatly wants to see the cycling in 2012 (can't think why :) ), and we stumbled across the BMX event. As an avid BMXer in my youth I would really like to see some of this while we are there (I say while, that should be if we get tickets). I did google for pics of the track but only saw CGI mockup that didn't really help.

Edit: Oh wait I just re read the post. I wasn't paying attention. You haven't been yet. Ignore me...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Z0mb13e

I did attend the opening and saw the layout for the BMX track, it looked superb.

I have never seen track cycling before and totally understand why your wife would like to go. With only 6000 seats everyone has a perfect view, the spectacle is amazing, these guys really fly!

All the best

David

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I've heard it said that Chris Hoy develops over 2000 watts of power from a start.:eek: Better have a good "off-road" mode on your 906...

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Hi Z0mb13e

I did attend the opening and saw the layout for the BMX track, it looked superb.

I have never seen track cycling before and totally understand why your wife would like to go. With only 6000 seats everyone has a perfect view, the spectacle is amazing, these guys really fly!

All the best

David

I watch the recent Worlds on TV taking place in Manchester and the commentators where saying these guys where hitting 42~45MPH per lap at times!