Long and rambling 4 day Agattu review

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Bike turned up on Friday slightly damaged (by TNT?) with a cracked plastic chain guard, hoping to hear back from 50 Cycles on a replacement.

The bike is also missing a rear wheel lock, again hoping 50 Cycles can send this on to me.

The bike was delivered in a huge cardboard box but although its a tight fit it wasn't secured in any way inside.

The tyres were already inflated and I just had to twist and rotate the handlebars and secure them with a 6mm allen key. The pedals also needed screwing on with a pedal crank spanner.

The bike seems huge considering its a small 49cm frame.

The suspension saddle is down as far as it can go (a non-suspension seatpost could probably go down another 2 inches or so) and its just the right height for me (I'm 5 foot 8 inches).

I put the battery on to charge but it already had 3 lights on and I couldn't wait for a full charge before having a quick ride of the bike up and down the street.

It felt really great apart from a mechanical gear whine from the motor which seemed a lot louder than the bike I had test ridden in Cheshire.

Subsequently this whine has almost disappeared after approx. 45 miles that I've ridden since last Friday Night.

The lights seem to be pretty good although I'm not entirely sure how the switches work, you seem to have to press the red button on the rear light to fully turn it off?

Had a couple of rides over the weekend, a 7 mile ride around my home town on Saturday and then another 7 mile ride to the local Supermarket and back.

We had bought some Halfords/bike hut rear panniers on Saturday for £30 odd quid and we put these to good use yesterday as we filled them with shopping and they seem to be good for what they are although of cheap plasticky manufacture.

These rides hadn't caused the battery to lose a single light but I fully charged it last night prior to commuting to work this morning.

I work at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston and its around 13.6 miles away (27.2 miles round trip) over a pretty flat route with some long low hills to negotiate.

I found I could easily average 13.6 mph and so was able to manage the distance in an hour without any issues.

I'm not sure of the assistance rate at that speed but I am very unfit and overweight but was able to arrive at work without being sweaty or tired so it worked as I hoped.

I'm looking at commuting by bike at least one day a week to start with and then increasing it as I get fitter.

I found my bum was going to sleep and I had to raise it off the saddle three or four times to get some blood flowing but I found when I got to work that the saddle had come loose on the seatpost and after tightening it the journey home was more comfortable.

The battery lost 1 light on the journey to work and 2 lights on the journey back (the control panel on the bike showed 3 lights after the journey into work and 2 lights after the journey home).

I had considered getting a pro-connect, and at one time a nano-brompton but after riding on the roads to work I'm damned glad I didn't, some of them are bloody awful and even with the suspension the bike was at times vibrating so hard that the bell was ringing!

The roads seemed to have had a cheapo top layer thats just disintegrating and is incredibly knobbly and this is a Dual Carriage-Way with a National Speed limit of 70 mph!

I think I need to tune the suspension better to this type of road though.

I should mention that the handlebar is really comfy, everything is in the right position and the grips have a lovely flat bit that you can rest your palms on and have plenty of room, I didn't feel the need to move my hands off the handlebar at all ie. didn't need to change the position of my hands because they were aching like on other bikes, its that comfortable.

Up the low long hills I found 12 mph was an easy speed to go at and freewheeling down them I was hitting 18-20 mph.

The electric assistance seems to stay on until 16 mph as indicated by a Garmin Etrex H unit that I have attached to the handlebars.

I tended to leave the hub gear in 6th as this seemed to be the most comfortable cadence both on the flat and going up hill, changing into 7th when going down hill. I still leave it in 6th when starting off from a standstill as you get lots of whoosh/assistance from the motor.

As a big bike it was slightly difficult to maneuver when going through tight spaces (between cars/on narrow pavements/locking it up in bicycle racks), but I guess this just takes getting used to.

I've bought a pannier/rucksack called 'the bug' from a Canadian company called Arkel and I can recommend it. Very well built and does just what I need it to (carries a change of clothing, brush, keys, id, purse, make-up, glasses case, helmet, packed lunch, water, waterproofs). Its also 100% guaranteed for life. Expensive at £100 but worth it to me.

Luckily I've had no punctures so far and other than possibly changing my route because of the condition of some of the roads (or tuning the suspension) every-thing's gone fine so far.

Oh, and if anyone is thinking of commuting for the first time in this weather, wear a windproof top or jacket, I didn't and I was bloody freezing!

I'd forgotten that I was going to have a 14 mph wind blowing into me all the way!

I've ordered a Lusso HT50 jacket from Ribble Cycles in Preston, tried one at lunchtime but they didn't have the yellow colour I wanted in stock, so have ordered it.

Hope that was rambling enough! :)

Cheers,

Jen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Jen, glad you are enjoying the bike. The Agattu does seem big at first, but that's mainly because of the robust design. I agree on the handlebars and think they are excellent, not understanding why anyone wants to change them.

Make sure you try to get in at least two full discharges and charges of the battery before settling to part charges in order to condition it and get the optimum range in future. Down to one red or flashing red is ok for the discharges, no need to run right out.

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Having ridden an Agattu over the weekend, I have two similar observations to Jen:
  • Although the saddle on the Wave version looks comfortable, for this man anyway, after a few miles it's distinctly uncomfortable. Do they do men's and women's versions of the saddles or are they all the same?
  • It's a complete puzzle as to how the lights switch on and off. I tried both the switches in all of the positions and nothing seemed to stop them shining brightly in broad daylight.

A proper instruction manual would be nice on subjects such as how to adjust the front forks.

A good bike for the money. The jury's still out on whether I need to change the rear sprocket. It seemed quite fast to me as is.

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Hi Beanie

Please check for a switch on the rear of the lamp, this will switch it on and off.

Yes we do have other saddles, depends what style bike you have. Let us know if you want it exchanging.

All the best

Scott
Thanks Scott. It's my wife's bike so it may suit her anatomy better than mine - I'm still walking funny!

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Jen,
Thanks for the review and glad you are enjoying the Agattu experience. I have been commuting on my 49 cm cross bar frame for about 9 months now and the bike rides a dream. It has transfromed my life. I have to negotiate very steep hills in Bath and the Agattu, though rather heavy, handles these with ease. I haven't felt the saddle uncomfortable and as for the guard, in the first week, I dropped my lock on it and it broke in two. Lloyd at 50c sent me out a replacement the very next day. Be careful with the stand as I snapped the firest one within two weeks (overloaded my panniers I think) Again, Lloyds at 50c was fab and sent me out a sturdier version (which may be on your bike .. black instead of silver). I remember the suspension was a bit tricky at first on the great British potholes.. but you soon get used to it.

Happy cycling and any questions about the Agattu, please don't hesitate to ask.

BW
musicbooks

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The big grin factor

Hi Jen,

You forgot to mention, How big was the grin on your face the first time you rode that magnificent machine.

I wouldn't mind betting it was HUGE!!

Best wishes

Bob

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Always nice to hear other folk loving the bike. I liked your rambling description, it portrayed facts and emotion rather well. The heavyweight agattu is great in high winds and poor roads, so good choice!

I'll echo musicbooks warning on the stand. Mine broke too. This isnt 50cycles fault its a good 'bike' stand, but people use these bikes as real transport not toys. The loads that we put on them are too much for conventional stands.

The lights do need a slip of A5 paper saying: There are three postions on the fornt switch. Off, On and Sensor (the middle one). The sensor is great , it turns the lights on automatically when it gets dark. The red button on the rear standlight is to turn the light off when you've stopped (theres a battery in it).

I dont know if youve struggled to pump your tyres up? When you do you'll find they have woods valves and that the little pump that you get is useless. You can buy and adaptor for 50p that attaches to the valve and makes it a presta valve so that a normal 'decent' pump works ok. Your local bike shop will have these, but you'll have to ask for them.

PS Tighten the suspension to the minimum to get a more efficient ride, it still bounces on the bumps but doesnt on smooth roads.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I have to agree about the road surfaces in Preston, they are awful and full of potholes. The council recently did a load of gas works and dug up tons of the roads and they still have temporary coverings about a year later. I also cycle down a 70mph dual carriageway (between Preston and Kirkham) and the road surface is appalling in places with the top layer in bits like you say.

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Hi Jen, glad you are enjoying the bike. The Agattu does seem big at first, but that's mainly because of the robust design. I agree on the handlebars and think they are excellent, not understanding why anyone wants to change them.

Make sure you try to get in at least two full discharges and charges of the battery before settling to part charges in order to condition it and get the optimum range in future. Down to one red or flashing red is ok for the discharges, no need to run right out.
Flecc, not to sure I'm happy about risking running the battery right down on a long commute, when you need it most is right at the end when the battery is about to run out. Should you really need to do this anyway? surely if its required Panasonic would supply a charger with a discharge function?

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Hi Jen,
Thanks for the review and glad you are enjoying the Agattu experience. I have been commuting on my 49 cm cross bar frame for about 9 months now and the bike rides a dream. It has transfromed my life. I have to negotiate very steep hills in Bath and the Agattu, though rather heavy, handles these with ease. I haven't felt the saddle uncomfortable and as for the guard, in the first week, I dropped my lock on it and it broke in two. Lloyd at 50c sent me out a replacement the very next day. Be careful with the stand as I snapped the firest one within two weeks (overloaded my panniers I think) Again, Lloyds at 50c was fab and sent me out a sturdier version (which may be on your bike .. black instead of silver). I remember the suspension was a bit tricky at first on the great British potholes.. but you soon get used to it.

Happy cycling and any questions about the Agattu, please don't hesitate to ask.

BW
musicbooks
Hi Musicbooks, I have the silver stand with a black end. It seems pretty strong, certainly comparable with the stands on bikes I've previously had (Giant Simple 7, Pashley Princess)

Cheers,

Jen.

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Hi Jen,

You forgot to mention, How big was the grin on your face the first time you rode that magnificent machine.

I wouldn't mind betting it was HUGE!!

Best wishes

Bob
I guess having ridden a demo bike I knew what to expect. I was also a bit concerned about the metallic whining noise but this has pretty much dissappeared, guess it was just gears or lubrication just bedding in.

I think I did have a big grin on my face for most of the commute on Monday though, it was cool!

Cheers,

Jen.

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Always nice to hear other folk loving the bike. I liked your rambling description, it portrayed facts and emotion rather well. The heavyweight agattu is great in high winds and poor roads, so good choice!

I'll echo musicbooks warning on the stand. Mine broke too. This isnt 50cycles fault its a good 'bike' stand, but people use these bikes as real transport not toys. The loads that we put on them are too much for conventional stands.

The lights do need a slip of A5 paper saying: There are three postions on the fornt switch. Off, On and Sensor (the middle one). The sensor is great , it turns the lights on automatically when it gets dark. The red button on the rear standlight is to turn the light off when you've stopped (theres a battery in it).

I dont know if youve struggled to pump your tyres up? When you do you'll find they have woods valves and that the little pump that you get is useless. You can buy and adaptor for 50p that attaches to the valve and makes it a presta valve so that a normal 'decent' pump works ok. Your local bike shop will have these, but you'll have to ask for them.

PS Tighten the suspension to the minimum to get a more efficient ride, it still bounces on the bumps but doesnt on smooth roads.
Thanks for the tips essexman.

Yeah, I found the Agattu to be a heavyweight but I guess that gives it an air of 'solidity' that some other bikes don't have.

I'll be careful with the stand then, thanks.

The light controls just weren't obvious. It was confusing when I wheeled the bike into the house the first few times (not putting into the garage until I've got a chain and ground anchor) when the lights just didn't turn off, you had a bright blue led at the front (no matter where the switch was) which presumably would turn off eventually after the timer switched it off or the capacitor/battery ran out. I took the main battery off, just to be sure.

Have to say I'm not looking forward to using the little pump, I had thought it would be telescopic but was surprised when it only pulled out a couple of inches. Feels like it would take hours to pump up a tire! will defintiely try to get hold of an adaptor or two.

I'll give your tip on the suspension a try, thanks.

Regards,

jen.

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
There appear to be two identical valves on the front suspension. '+' or '-' to tighten? And on both?
I assume they just control the elastomer/spring inside. Thought the suspension instruction manual would be more informative but its a bit 'generic' and covers several models and just seems to tell you about how to identify which one you've got.

I'll have another go at them this Friday on my second commute, hopefully should be a simple 'one way makes it worse, the other makes it better' kind of thing? (Yeah...right...:p

Cheers,

Jen

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
I have to agree about the road surfaces in Preston, they are awful and full of potholes. The council recently did a load of gas works and dug up tons of the roads and they still have temporary coverings about a year later. I also cycle down a 70mph dual carriageway (between Preston and Kirkham) and the road surface is appalling in places with the top layer in bits like you say.
Thats them!

The Kirkham to Preston side isn't too bad, but the Preston to Kirkham side is really horrendous.

I was looking last night to see if it was a Sustrans route or anything, but its just a road with cycling facility kind of thing. I'm going to write to the council about it, possibly Preston and the Preston Guild too as they all seem to be spending or about to spend lots of money on Cycling facilities.

Regards,

Jen.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Thats them!

The Kirkham to Preston side isn't too bad, but the Preston to Kirkham side is really horrendous.

I was looking last night to see if it was a Sustrans route or anything, but its just a road with cycling facility kind of thing. I'm going to write to the council about it, possibly Preston and the Preston Guild too as they all seem to be spending or about to spend lots of money on Cycling facilities.

Regards,

Jen.
I think there is actually a path on Preston to Kirkham side but it is extremely overgrown and unusable. I don't know if it could be cleared and used as an off road cycle path, its probably still a bit narrow. On the carriage way I often cycle on the white line which lets you avoid a lot of the bumps. I bet you go past that Texaco garage too where cycles have to give way to cars on the entrance to the garage which I think is totally bonkers.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Musicbooks, I have the silver stand with a black end. It seems pretty strong, certainly comparable with the stands on bikes I've previously had (Giant Simple 7, Pashley Princess)

Cheers,

Jen.
Hi Jen,
My silver stand lasted a week and I was careful because others had posted similar tales of breakages. My stand just broke in two when I kicked it down one morning and the end flew across the porch. Obviously wekened over time at the tell tale pressure point about half way up. But don't worry, Lloyd at 50c replaced within two days with a black version which seems to be stronger.

On another point, I am finding that the hand grips are slipping upwards and round the handlebars and every couple of days I have to twist back round.. Is anyone else finding this? I think it is becaues the gap between the grip and the brake is quite big so it means that my hands are slightly unnaturally positioned to keep a grip, if you know what I mean.

Reasurring really when all there is to complain about is the handle grip:) :)

Don't forget to keep the gear cogs oiled as yoiu may find that the gears start rattling and then crunching and jumping.

BW
musicbooks

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Reasurring really when all there is to complain about is the handle grip:) :)
I'm thinking of changing the grips on my [wife's] Agattu to some of these Ergon grips, which are standard on Flyers and quite amazingly comfortable. The ones on the Agattu are similar in some ways but do seem to move around a bit, at least on the right-hand gear shift side. The Ergons are held securely in place by a clamp and in addition, it is easier to install bar end accessories like a mirror or bar end bell.

Talking of gear shifts, the Rohloff on my Flyer twists one way and the Nexus on my [wife's] Agattu the opposite way. I'm getting increasingly :confused: as I swap between bikes. But at least the Nexus has a clear indicator of which gear you're in. The Rohloff has some barely legible numerals molded into the grip and half the time I have to guess what gear I'm in by listening to whether it's making a purring/ticking noise (8-14) or something slightly less acceptable (1-7).

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

How do you change gears on a Rohloff do you have pedal hard to change gears.
Is it on the left or right side? could it be upside down?

thx

Bob

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Hi

How do you change gears on a Rohloff do you have pedal hard to change gears.
Is it on the left or right side? could it be upside down?

thx

Bob
No, it's exactly the same as the Nexus on the right handlebar and is not upside down lol. Changing up involves twisting away from you, instead of towards you, like a Nexus. You can change with or without pedaling, like a Nexus, and apart from the change between 7th and 8th, it is seamless.