Long distance commute bike

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Thanks, I agree with what you’re saying. Regarding testing, I went to Evanscycles yesterday to try an Array for size and feel. They said they wouldn’t let me test it for now due to the virus, which is unfortunate. Is there any workaround to this or do I need to find another shop that would let me test it up and down the street?
That seems overzealous to me. You can walk into Tesco and touch a 50p tin of beans then choose not to buy it, why not a £2k bike?! Especially considering they could quite conceivably put it back into stock for 72 hours and the virus would die anyway.

There isn't an obvious covid statement on their website advising any policy so I wonder if that particular shop is just being a bit silly...

Maybe contact their customer relations department for some guidance. Offer to bring your own mask, gloves etc like you would if you were taking a car for a test drive...

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
That seems overzealous to me. You can walk into Tesco and touch a 50p tin of beans then choose not to buy it, why not a £2k bike?! Especially considering they could quite conceivably put it back into stock for 72 hours and the virus would die anyway.
Or they could just give the bike a thorough clean with sanitizer (specially the handle bars) and it would soon be ready for the next person.

jarjar03

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2020

There isn't an obvious covid statement on their website advising any policy so I wonder if that particular shop is just being a bit silly...

Maybe contact their customer relations department for some guidance. Offer to bring your own mask, gloves etc like you would if you were taking a car for a test drive...
They have this page with health and safety requirements, but no mention of not being able to test a bike. https://www.evanscycles.com/store/gatwickwarehouseshowroom

The irony is I wore a mask when I entered the store and put on gloves when I sat on a bike for fitting. None of the employees were wearing one though. I’ll give customer relations a call and see what they say.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I went for a test ride on a Honda motorbike, and I couldn't believe how seriously they took all the sanitising procedures.

A test ride up and down the road or round the car park won't prove anything other than whether the size fits you.

Lucylettuce

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2020
Thanks, I agree with what you’re saying. Regarding testing, I went to Evanscycles yesterday to try an Array for size and feel. They said they wouldn’t let me test it for now due to the virus, which is unfortunate. Is there any workaround to this or do I need to find another shop that would let me test it up and down the street?
Same happened to me in three shops this week. I really want to try before I buy, but very frustrating. Also there's very little stock of anything. Good luck !