Long range speed pedelec?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I haven't even bought my first bike yet! I'm looking at well, where I want to live in the future. Stalybridge is between Leeds, Manchester , and even Sheffield, not that I'm fussed about working in Sheffield

Then I'd probably need a road legal speed pedelec e-bike that takes me to Leeds, and back given the distance. People may charge their batteries at work, however my issue is that some organisations won't let you because your battery isn't PAT tested

I'd be looking into both foldable (into a car boot) and non foldable options ie: so I have two options then

I'd probably look at that in 2-3 years time given I'm just starting a new job in Ben Rhydding in a few days...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0449.JPG

and thats not even trying but gives you a idea how long it could take.

Reactions: anonymous

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I know someone who does a 70 mile round trip to work on a normal bike, but he doesn't do it every day. I also know someone who does a 35 mile commute every day on a normal bike and has clocked up over 11,000 miles so far this year.

Having said that 400 miles on an S-pedelec is a big ask.
Of course there are the Wiggins types in this world!

I have not got the impression that anon. is one of them

But hey, I laid the eat me own hat challenge so if he is driven.... Well, its possible just not very sensible or practical in this instance

I would totally respect the massive effort it would take to prove me incorrect!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
How about this?

It's road legal in Germany, so should hopefully be road legal here? Failing that, I could get my CBT and get a Honda 125 or whatever it's called
Thats an electric motorbike. You'll need a plates, license etc anyway

I'm not trying to put you off going electric..... Just electric bicycles. You might be confusing the two

From.their own page
"
Driver's license
While other road users are still at the traffic lights, you are already gone with the eROCKIT. eROCKIT is an electric motorcycle comparable to the 125cc category. Driving on public roads in Europe requires a driving license of class A, A1 or A2.

Reactions: anonymous

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Thats an electric motorbike. You'll need a plates, license etc anyway

I'm not trying to put you off going electric..... Just electric bicycles. You might be confusing the two

From.their own page
"
Driver's license
While other road users are still at the traffic lights, you are already gone with the eROCKIT. eROCKIT is an electric motorcycle comparable to the 125cc category. Driving on public roads in Europe requires a driving license of class A, A1 or A2.
Sure, but it says you can still pedal them?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So it's an electric motorbike with pedals? So what?

The forum( and the seller here) have explained the law a few times.

You can't stick pedals on a electric motorbike and call it a legal bicycle anymore than you can stick pedals on a harley Davison.... And call it a legal bicycle

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
So it's an electric motorbike with pedals? So what?

The forum( and the seller here) have explained the law a few times.

You can't stick pedals on a electric motorbike and call it a legal bicycle anymore than you can stick pedals on a harley Davison.... And call it a legal bicycle
They say it's road legal?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Are you trolling

It is a legal MOTORBIKE

Look at Auto trader. It is full of road legal motorbikes

Road legal doesn't mean its a bicycle
Sure, I'm aware it's a road legal motorbike. I'm saying surely this could do it then? Ie: it's not a bike, and rather a motorbike but would suit me? I didn't say it's a bicycle either.

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Can you afford 11000 Euros? why not buy a Zero electric motorbike in the UK they cost £10,000 my m8s does around 80 miles to the charge and does 90 MPH but to be sure you would need to maybe top up at work (kettle Lead)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's no point to the pedals, in practice you won't be able to contribute anything as Wander has said. The motor will outrun anything you do, and if you don't use the motor the Rockit will be terrible to pedal.

Very often the pedals on such as these are put there since in some countries they are lax enough to allow them to be used unregistered as bicycles. For the peanuts they cost it increases their market.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
190 mpg doesn't do any harm to the environment. Cheaper, faster and more comfortable than an electric bicycle., plus cheaper running costs. If you want some exercise, you can always get off and push it the last mile.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

40 miles in 20 mins ;)

• :D
Reactions: KirstinS