Longtail bike with 8Fun BBS01 –*What battery should I choose?

geiranders

Just Joined
I have a Surly Big Dummy station wagon and consider adding the 8Fun BBS01 crank drive to it, as I ride quite a few steep hills around Oslo, Norway. We do have a very enjoyable BH Emotion Neo Cross in the stable as well, and love the way the rear hub motor works there. But the Dummy is often on the road with kids and groceries, and I guess the crank drive will serve us better for that application.

I have two questions, though:

1. WINTER AND COLD CONDITIONS

Can anyone say if the 8Fun BBS01 is winterproof? I checked this with the maker of Sunstar iBike –when I was contemplating their solution earlier, and got this reply:

«Dear Geir, thanks for your question. The torque sensor (hearth of Sunstar system) can work not properly down -5 C° so we have to be careful with low temperatures this temperature (-5 C°) is internal one, not outside (weather temperature). I know that last year one our costumer in Sweden left his bicycle outside and next morning he had to heat up with simple hear dryer. But if you store your bicycle in a garage you shouldn’t have any problem. More over when you use it, motor unit heats up by its self, so internal temperature increase and finally problems are avoided. Important point is where to store for the night or how long you don’t use motor unit in external area

Not really what I want from a system that will be used all year, whatever the weather. So, what can I expect from the Bafang/8Fun system when winter comes, and my bike will be parked outside? I know how to deal with the battery in the cold, it's the sealing and inner workings of the drive unit that worries me.

2. WHAT BATTERY?

I plan on attaching the battery to the frame, and it can also reside in a pocket inside the permanently attached bags. Anyway: I need a battery that will suit my hilly routes with a loaded bike, even though I rarely travel long distances every day. I'm more or less clueless when it comes to batteries and have never installed anything like this myself. So I would love some advice on quality batteries and where to get them. Any suggestions?

All the best,
Geir Anders
Oslo, Norway
transportsykkel.no

bigdummy-1000-5397.jpg

Last edited:

geiranders

Just Joined
Hi You need a direct drive motor have had them working in 6 inch off snow no moving parts apart from 2 bearings no grease to go solid

Pull you around and up hills

Frank
Thanks for the tips, Frank! My simple idea about the crank drive unit was to make use of the gears on the steep uphills. That seems like an obvious advantage, especially when I notice how much hard work the rear hub motor on our BH Emotion have to do with a loaded bike on the tougher climbs. Its operating RPM is far from optimal when crawling slowly like that, so I figured being able to use the gears to put the motor back into ideal RPM would be great.

During this years Eurobike I test rode a huge number of electric bikes, among them a lot of mid drive units. The way they made use of the gears was an eye opener to me. But given your recommendation, I presume you consider the BBS01 too weak for my intended use?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
A DD hub is the last thing you want for steep hills and a heavy load.
A crank drive should be ideal for your use just google stokemonkey, they were originally designed for cargo bikes, same basic idea as a crank drive.

I rode my Tonaro crank drive bike today around my local area, it is rated at 250w I had no trouble climbing a roughly 20% grade and several just under, all up load on the bike around 90kg including me BUT I can not put any pressure on the pedals at all due to a health issue I can do the first crank to start the PAS but then just feather the pedals to keep the motor running none of the hills were an issue, that should give a rough idea of what the BBS01 should be like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't matter whether you have a crank-drive or a hub-motor. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You can get both direct drive and geared hub motors with enough torque to blitz your present one. If you're stuck with 250w, the BBS01 might be a good choice. The BBS01 now comes in different flavours: 250w, 350w, 500w and 750w. You might find the 250w one a bit short on power depending on tour gearing, how hard you want to pedal and how fast you want to go. A code 15 Bafang BPM or MAC rear hub-motor and 30 amp controller will get you up the hills faster and with less effort.