Looking for a really comfortable saddle

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Hi all, I am looking for a reallly comfortable saddle. I'm talking sofa comfortable here. I have read all the stuff about not getting a really soft saddle etc. but circumstances are different here as, because of my health, I mostly use the Throttle on my Woosh Zephyr B, with occasional assisted pedaling. I have used the saddle it came with for some time a quite padded gel saddle and a very padded wider gel saddle both have caused me great discomfort, in the end to the point of giving me pain that lasted beyond the bike journey. Any suggestions? I don't want to keep buying saddles, only to find they are of no use.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I suffer from fibromyalgia, a nerve condition which amplifies pain, and find that the Selle Royal Respiro is the only seat which doesn't cause me pain. It comes in narrow, wide, upright, forward leaning and intermediate versions. I use the upright 'relaxed' version, however converted my bike to an upright Dutch style at the same time.

Reactions: shambolic

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I tried a Charge Spoon saddle yesterday in place of my Selle gel one and I was in agony after 15 minutes and its still not settled down!
I do have a damaged coccyx though,from years of driving tractors with no suspension ,and even my gel saddle causes me pain after about 20 miles.
As long as I stay on the saddle its not bad but once I stop it takes about 20 minutes of major pain before it settles down again(mid ride).
At the end of the day I find that sitting at home is ok but when I try to stand its sheer agony until I am upright.
I love my ebiking though so will just have to put up with it.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
One tip that I heard was to sit on something hard like a stone wall for about 5 minutes. You will then be acutely aware where the horns of your pelvis are (Two painful spots on the bum)
Use a tape measure to find out how far apart they are and that tells you the minimum width of a suitable saddle.
Some bike shops now have a similar device.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I tried a Charge Spoon saddle yesterday in place of my Selle gel one and I was in agony after 15 minutes and its still not settled down!
I do have a damaged coccyx though,from years of driving tractors with no suspension ,and even my gel saddle causes me pain after about 20 miles.
As long as I stay on the saddle its not bad but once I stop it takes about 20 minutes of major pain before it settles down again(mid ride).
At the end of the day I find that sitting at home is ok but when I try to stand its sheer agony until I am upright.
I love my ebiking though so will just have to put up with it.
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried one of the Selle seats with the cutout down the middle?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Love my Brooks B17. No pain without gain. They need breaking in but once done, I can sit on them for hours :)

Have three, one on all three of my main bikes now.

Jerry

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried one of the Selle seats with the cutout down the middle?
Not yet but I am going to give it a go.
Hoping my LBS can help me out rather than keeping buying loads of seats!

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
The breaking a saddle in is ok for most people but in my case the saddle is likely to break me if it is not comfortable from the start. It's happened before that a hip problem starts and takes forever to go away. I can't afford that I need a seat that is comfy from the start.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The breaking a saddle in is ok for most people but in my case the saddle is likely to break me if it is not comfortable from the start. It's happened before that a hip problem starts and takes forever to go away. I can't afford that I need a seat that is comfy from the start.
You could try eBay. They usually have plenty of well broken in Brooks and other old leather saddles for sale.