Looking for advise and helpful opinions.

Nev6601

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2020
Afternoon simply although I’m happy to ride miles 70/80 at my pace on a carbon road bike I’m getting fed up of being overtaken by mountain bikes using motors, it’s time for payback hence my request for help in choosing a new cycle. I’m drawn to the synapse neo as I understand the range would be the best but every time I go to take the plunge I look at the carbon options available and talk myself out of it. Any thoughts would assist?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Get on with it you won't go back
There's loads of choice your budget being the start of your search

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Synapse Neo looks good but you might also want to take a look at some of the bikes with the Fazua motor. An extra battery costs about £400 if additional range was required. The system is fitted to a number a nice looking road bikes. The cheapest bike with this Motor is the Boardman Hyb

This Cube is good value too.

Reactions: Woosh and Nev6601

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what you want is bruno POWER

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and Nev6601

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
SW is right though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no you put the motor on the carbon bike if it fits the bb and carry the battery in a back pack, you want disc brakes tho otherwise you will make clouds when you brake ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
no you put the motor on the carbon bike if it fits the bb and carry the battery in a back pack
if you carry the battery then you can have a tiny motor in the rear hub, hide the controller inside the seat pin and nobody will know your secret weapon.
£500 will do it, not needing £3000.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you carry the battery then you can have a tiny motor in the rear hub, hide the controller inside the seat pin and nobody will know your secret weapon.
£500 will do it, not needing £3000.
£500 to go 50mph not going to happen :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can go about 33 mph with the wind behind me pissed with a dongle but i have to spin the cranks @120rpm.

i dont mind putting effort in but thats to high for me to maintain.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you have a carbon bike with a 52T chainring, I reckon you could hit 40mph with a motor.

Nev6601

Mar 30, 2020
looking for a bike rather than a conversion just looking for a little help as age takes over, and to be honest once you start looking there are some gems however if the wife ever found out how much £££ i can only imagine the pain.

Reactions: JuicyBike and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
as I said, you can spend a lot of money on a lightweight e-bike and if at the end, all you want from it is a little help on hills then a large portion of that money goes into hiding the battery somewhere so it does not say 'I am electric'.
An Aikema 85SX rear motorwheel weighs about 2.5kgs. It is unobtrusive so it can pass as a normal hub. You can ride the bike quite normally without power. Check out my Faro. It's just it.

Nev6601

Mar 30, 2020
That is food for thought, and after having an initial look I presume the frame battery would provide a longer distance?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bigger battery more range but it depends how much effort you can add so a lighter bike the better.

you really need to have a go on a few as i bet the less resistance the better so you can add more your self.

my bike is 24kg and with no power it is rid able but not at more than 10 mph its a lump.

with a 500w frame batt you could get 50 miles + if you dongle it and use full power mode like i do it drops to half.

i keep fit drinking cider and smoking weed and i can still **** all over any road bike i have seen on the road :p

Nev6601

Mar 30, 2020
Now I’m seriously interested I really do like my carbon and think it would be relegated I’ll put a pic on and if you think it could be converted I would appreciate your thoughts?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That is food for thought, and after having an initial look I presume the frame battery would provide a longer distance?
the inframe battery is 36V * 8AH, 288WH, good for about 30 miles on electrics. The external battery gives 36V 17AH, twice the inframe battery.
The bike is quite lightweight, I usually ride without power to get a bit of exercise.
It is also easily upgradeable. You can drop in a carbon fork, carbon 700C front wheel for a bit of extra comfort. Chainring and derailleur are also standard bike stuff. The main difference is I don't use a torque sensor, so it does not matter how steep the gradient is, you don't need to pedal harder than you want to.