Looking for broken midrive please.

Staps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2020
Hello Guys,

My dad has looked at my tongsheng and fancies trying to fabricate a electric start for his classic motorbike. We are in the south UK.

Anyone got a broken Tongsheng or Bafeng to sell? Will accept unrepairable!

Thanks
Staps

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hello Guys,

My dad has looked at my tongsheng and fancies trying to fabricate a electric start for his classic motorbike. We are in the south UK.

Anyone got a broken Tongsheng or Bafeng to sell? Will accept unrepairable!

Thanks
Staps
What bike is he trying to start?

The maximum cadence on a TSDZ is 90rpm if I recall correctly. That won't be quick enough to spark a bike engine.

If you use a chain to increase the rpm you reduce the torque and you'll need a sprag or dog clutch to disengage the TSDZ.

That's a challenging job....

Staps

Jan 21, 2020
He mostly interested in the package having both the motor and reduction. Its for an old 1960s Norton. He seems focused more on reducing speed.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
That's a really interesting engineering challenge, and I admire your Dad's ambition. Personally however, I think your Dad is starting from the wrong base-point. Assuming the Norton is a 500/650 twin, or a 350/500 single, they take a serious kick to get them running. I don't think the TSDZ's output enough combined rpm and torque to spark the engine.

As mentioned, a starter motor is the best place to start.

Check out the link below for a guide to the sort of engineering work required....

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
@Staps, forgive me for taking the thread off-track but I'm very passionate that old bikes (and older riders) should keep riding.

Is it just the dreaded "cold morning start" that your Dad is struggling with? If so, this might be an alternative:

Unlike the mid-drive idea, this is a relatively easy DIY job for anyone. Granted, it's not exactly portable....

Staps

Jan 21, 2020
Hey Guys, Not seen that solo starter before i will let him know and it is for a big twin.

Have to say though that he is just investigating at this point and fancies more of a look at one than a serious consideration. An electric start is the preferred but getting a nice reduction seems to be hard.

Cheers
Staps

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
getting a nice reduction
That's the easy bit (in theory) with chain drives. Making it functional, aesthetically pleasing and not irreversibly damaging a classic Norton in the process is the hard bit!

Staps

Jan 21, 2020
Don't worry about the bike! he is old school, no aftermarket mods sort of guy and restorer. This will be on a second engine and the Alton kit only fits Commandos...?

So anyone got a Wrecked mid drive?

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Don't worry about the bike! he is old school, no aftermarket mods sort of guy and restorer. This will be on a second engine and the Alton kit only fits Commandos...?

So anyone got a Wrecked mid drive?
Yeah, the SRM link was only intended to give a flavour of what's involved in such a conversion.

Thankfully my TSDZ is running fine (though give me 6 months and I'll probably have wrecked it!) Good luck with the hunt and when your Dad finishes it, show us some piccies....