Looking for conversion kit

Tbolt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 26, 2018
Nottinghamshire
D

Deleted member 4366

When you limit your options like that, the chance of getting an ideal kit goes down. Surely, you want the best solution? Why limit your options?

Tbolt

Feb 26, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Finding an ideal kit is everyone's goal.

However, as a newby I am not confident on buying from eBay etc.in case there are problems.

There will always need to be a compromise and as my wife has advanced cancer I want a kit that will be reliable for her and she wants to keep fit for as long as possible.

We are differing size and weight (45kg to my 90kg).

I suspect a front hub motor will be the simplest option but I cannot decide on what 700c kit to get.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
I’m very happy with my kit from woosh, excellent support from them from this forum. I only had basic knowledge of bike mechanics when I fitted it, it was fairly straight forward. That was a GSM mid drive kit. It’s been very reliable over the last two years.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are you fitting the kits ?
To fit a hub kit you will need basic diy fettling skills and able to file the drop outs if necessary.
Your wife is light so any 250w hub kit will be ideal for you a hub kit with a bit more oomph.
For kits I would suggest Woosh bikes because of there exemplary CS.
Mid drive kits are simple to fit but tend to have an Achilles heel which is the integrated controller they tend to get warm and eventually cause issues.

D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't matter where you get the stuff from. It's the same stuff, so equally reliable. Reliability is more dependent on the installation than the stuff that's being installed.

Tbolt

Feb 26, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry for delay in responding.

I do plan to fit these myself. I have restored motorbikes and cars in the past and can read most instruction leaflets.

If the kits are all the same I will look at ebay options.

As I want to use hub motors for a first build. Which 700c (front or rear) would suit me (90kg) best?

Should I stick with 36v or go 48v?

Thanks Gerry

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
48v if you want a bit more speed. If going down the two bike route keep both systems with the same voltage and battery style for interchangeability.
Hub wise for you a high torque bafang bpm /cst or SWX02 hub, from BMSBattery a Q128H or Q128C.

D

Deleted member 4366

90 kg is a difficult weight. I know how to deal with 100kg or more and 80 kg or less, but 90kg is right in the middle. I think that I'd be looking at a 201 rpm 36v motor run at 48v or a 260 rpm 48v one, which is what I normally recommend for a 100kg rider. If you wanted more speed than 20 mph, you can go up to a 260 rpm 36v motor at 48v or a 328 rpm 48v one provided that you don't have too many steep hills and you don't want to tow anything.

A 36v motor run with 20 amps would also give sufficient power, but I wouldn't go higher than 270 rpm.

The rpm of the motor is a very significant characteristic as it affects efficiency, especially when climbing. It's low efficiency that causes motors to burn. All motors have low efficiency at low speed, but the lower the maximum rpm, the higher the efficiency at low rpm. The motor's rpm is directly affected by voltage, so a 201 rpm 36v motor at 48v is identical in all respects to a 260 rpm 48v one.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjahmin

Tbolt

Feb 26, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I will use interchangeable parts and batteries.

Hope to lose some weight in the long term but I have been 90kg for some time.

I will look at the motors suggested and learn more about how the rpm / amps will effect the final choice for me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tbolt,

I would suggest a high torque SWX02 for you and the lighter XF07 for your wife.
The parts are easily interchangeable except the motor wheels which take a little longer to swap.
Take a look at our hub kits then if you have any questions, just ask.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits