Looking to buy E-bike

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
WM's policy is a strange one. I use Thameslink and Greater Anglia a lot - neither have an e-bike restriction (at least not yet!).

I bought my Fiido D11 direct here as it is/was cheapest and there are no issues if a warranty claim is needed. Fiido's UK warehouse is in Bath and bikes are sent by 48hr courier. There are a couple of stores in London that allow you to test, but none I know of in WM.

I'd say 5'6" is a good/natural height for the D11/21/X. I'm 5'11" - I added the riser bar in my pic for a little extra stem height and reach.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
WM's policy is a strange one. I use Thameslink and Greater Anglia a lot - neither have an e-bike restriction (at least not yet!).

I bought my Fiido D11 direct here as it is/was cheapest and there are no issues if a warranty claim is needed. Fiido's UK warehouse is in Bath and bikes are sent by 48hr courier. There are a couple of stores in London that allow you to test, but none I know of in WM.

I'd say 5'6" is a good/natural height for the D11/21/X. I'm 5'11" - I added the riser bar in my pic for a little extra stem height and reach.
Yes I do like the look of this bike. Just emailed the train customer services so will wait for a reply of them. Thanks again

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I don't think it really matters what WM CS say... as you've witnessed, others are already doing it. The precedent has been set and WM aren't (don't appear to be) stopping it.

The other point is the Fiido D11/21 don't really look like e-bikes. The titchy hub motor is well hidden in the rear wheel, and the battery is the seatpost. It's not immediately obvious.

On the basis that many other train operators do allow carriage, I'd not worry. It'll take a major disaster (likely a home-made botch e-bike) to catch fire that places people in danger before any authority clamps down. Factory built e-bikes are IMHO perfectly safe to transport - car boot/taxi, train, bus etc.

Reactions: stormfeet

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
I don't think it really matters what WM CS say... as you've witnessed, others are already doing it. The precedent has been set and WM aren't (don't appear to be) stopping it.

The other point is the Fiido D11/21 don't really look like e-bikes. The titchy hub motor is well hidden in the rear wheel, and the battery is the seatpost. It's not immediately obvious.

On the basis that many other train operators do allow carriage, I'd not worry. It'll take a major disaster (likely a home-made botch e-bike) to catch fire that places people in danger before any authority clamps down. Factory built e-bikes are IMHO perfectly safe to transport - car boot/taxi, train, bus etc.
They did message me back to say it’s no problem, you can travel. Looks like a Fiido bike for me. Thanks for all your help. I might need your help again to set up lol

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
They did message me back to say it’s no problem, you can travel. Looks like a Fiido bike for me. Thanks for all your help. I might need your help again to set up lol
Hi Cyclebuddy,
I’ve read some reviews on the Fiido x and they have said that it as some issues. Do you know if they have sorted these out. Not sure on the D21 or x model

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
What issues are you referring to? I've read some have difficulty with the electronic lock and seatpost clamp, but from what I can see on YT it's the user not being very "mechanically minded". IMHO that whole electronic keypad affair really is a sledgehammer to crack a nut, designed because of complaints that the battery on a D11/21 isn't lockable. It's overkill on the X when a simple physical key-operated lock on the seatpost clamp as others have done would've sufficed.

The other complaint I read of the X is the lack of a throttle. Fiido say they may introduce an aftermarket kit if there's demand, but they don't seem keen - I suspect for compliance with UK/EU laws.

Member @stormfeet recently bought a D21, although he hasn't yet posted feedback beyond intial thoughts. You can read that discussion here.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
What issues are you referring to? I've read some have difficulty with the electronic lock and seatpost clamp, but from what I can see on YT it's the user not being very "mechanically minded". IMHO that whole electronic keypad affair really is a sledgehammer to crack a nut, designed because of complaints that the battery on a D11/21 isn't lockable. It's overkill on the X when a simple physical key-operated lock on the seatpost clamp as others have done would've sufficed.

The other complaint I read of the X is the lack of a throttle. Fiido say they may introduce an aftermarket kit if there's demand, but they don't seem keen - I suspect for compliance with UK/EU laws.

Member @stormfeet recently bought a D21, although he hasn't yet posted feedback beyond intial thoughts. You can read that discussion here.
Ah, just read some reviews that stated it had issues but didn’t really say what they were. Obviously they are not major issues. Thanks for clarifying, really appreciate your help

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
I have a Fido D4S , very pleased with it and cheap. Would a torque sensor mean i would get a bit more exercise? What is the difference between the x and the D21 as they look the same to me.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
What's your budget ??? I recently bought my first electric bike from NAKTO. You can find awesome range of ebikes from mountain to folding everything under one roof.
Hi Phil
What's your budget ??? I recently bought my first electric bike from NAKTO. You can find awesome range of ebikes from mountain to folding everything under one roof.
Hi Phil, up to £2000, I bought a Fido D21 but had to send it back last week as a knocking noise developed when peddling. I wasn’t happy with the bike

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
I successfully converted a Brompton using Woosh's kit. The only hassles were down to Brompton, not Woosh. It's an easy job and detailed in the relevant thread. The kit itself is customisable and does the job well.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
What about something like a Ribble.
13.1kg

gramorganic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2021
I can remember I bought Crossroad 500 Watt and love it. Didn't think it would be better than Carrera Crossfuse even its replacing but it is. Out climbs it easy (even tho it's essentially same motor). The software gives less help at lower cadence but supports higher cadence much better.

Reactions: TaffandEvan

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I can remember I bought Crossroad 500 Watt and love it. Didn't think it would be better than Carrera Crossfuse even its replacing but it is. Out climbs it easy (even tho it's essentially same motor). The software gives less help at lower cadence but supports higher cadence much better.
I don't follow that at all. The Crossroad bike you link to uses an (illegal) Bikee branded 500 watt rear hub motor, and the Carrera Crossfuse uses a (legal) Bosch 250 watt torque sensored mid-drive motor. How is that "essentially same motor"? They couldn't be more different if you tried!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One has to be careful comparing bikes as they have to be similarly spec'd, a 500w motor is likely to have a higher current load applied then the 250w and other software changes.
It's a bit like saying a 2ltr car is better then a 1 ltr car.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hey cyclebuddy, can you tell me which riser bar you fitted. I've just bought a D21 and being about the same height as you, I'd like to fit one too.
There are lots to choose from that will fit - it's a standard diameter (25.4mm IIRC) at the stem clamp, the width and amount of rise there's a lot of choice. Everything from Brompton bars to BMX style will fit.

I bought a Carbon Fibre 50mm rise x 580mm wide bar to save a little extra weight - IIRC £23 off ebay/ali, Chinese supplier. Aluminium bars were a few £'s cheaper but not by much. EDIT: Checking just now, the cost of Carbon has really shot up this past year.

Riser Bar small.jpg

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
When choosing bear in mind how much slack/length is available in the cables and how the stem folds. A 2"/50mm rise works fine on my bike, but some of the higher rise bars I think might cause issues?