looking to do my first ebike conversion

h1llside

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2020
hi guys

another newbie thread here.
Im wanting to convert my Scott Scale Hard tail using a Bafang BBS01 kit from Woosh but i was wondering what additional kit i need to complete the build.

The bike is this one:
Scott Scale

Things that im concerned about are:
Bottom Bracket - is a Shimano- BB-MT500-PA shell 41x89.5mm press fit - would i need an adapter? which one?
It has a 10 speed cassette "Shimano CS-HG50-10 / 11-36 T" - would this be ok to use?
Do I also need to get a new chain ring? would the bafang one supplied be ok or should i go for one of the Lekkie ones?
I have hydraulic brakes but do i actually need any brake sensors?

I appreciate your time reading this.

Mo

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
hi guys

Im wanting to convert my Scott Scale Hard tail using a Bafang BBS01 kit from Woosh but i was wondering what additional kit i need to complete the build.

The bike is this one:
Scott Scale

Bottom Bracket - is a Shimano- BB-MT500-PA shell 41x89.5mm press fit - would i need an adapter? which one?
It has a 10 speed cassette "Shimano CS-HG50-10 / 11-36 T" - would this be ok to use?
Do I also need to get a new chain ring? would the bafang one supplied be ok or should i go for one of the Lekkie ones?

Mo
Woosh have an excellent reputation, I'm sure they will provide all the information (and accurately!) that you may require

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
hi guys

The bike is this one:
Scott Scale

Mo
If it is a cadence sensor kit I'd definitely use brake sensors. Can be really helpful if you are doing tricky manoeuvre such as zigzag through a barrier; you don't want the motor suddenly to kick in. Very easy to put sensors onto existing levers.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I recently bought a BBS02 and these are the things I wish I had bought with the kit.
1. Gear sensor
2. You will also need a tool to tighten the locknuts.
Some people use sockets to tighten the locknuts
https://fasterbikes.eu/de/zubehoer/werkzeuge/.
3. Lekkie ring, I support it's a personal choice, the standard ring is heavy but does the job.
4. Throttle, AliExpress is a cheap place to buy compatible twist throttles but you wait a while for them to arrive.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
5. Zip ties, reusable ones are good
6. Here's the link to the pedelecs BBS02 after market thread
7. Crank puller, Allen keys, the crank arm uses a 8mn Allen key, I use the below, some people use a long Allen key

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
hi guys

The bike is this one:
Scott Scale

Mo
You need to take your bottom brackrt out, then look at whether you have enough clearance around it to slide the motor in. The thicknedss mustn't exceed 6mm anywhere around the bottom/ front - about half way round.

Reactions: Chees

h1llside

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2020
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies and very useful advice so far.
I think i may have hit a roadblock with the BBS01. My BB is 89.5mm wide which if understand correctly is not compatible with the BBS01 or 02.

The next option would be a hub drive. I'd prefer rear but how would that work with my 10 speed cassette?

Thanks

Mo