Looking to get a decent kit - help!!

amp3rand

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2020
Hey,

my Dad had offered to get me an eBike.

But, what he wants out of an e-bike and what I want are quite far apart.

He's happy with the road-legal options. But I actually want to take it off-road, climb hills etc. (IRL - I want the fun lever, big motor/battery etc!!).

Is there a middle ground?

I don't want to **** him off because it's a super nice gesture that he wants to get me an e-bike.

He has one, from Halfords. Road legal etc. Pedal-assist limited to 15.5 mph. Cost approx 1k.

When speaking to him - I think he wants me to get a totally road-legal 250-watt shop-bought e-bike. I think that would make him worry the least. I get the feeling that he's not sure I could buy all the bits and assemble it and it work for more than a couple of weeks. And then, I also think he's worried about the quality of the parts.

Overall - he doesn't want to waste his money. He doesn't have a lot by any means and this is a significant investment on his part.

But what turns him on about e-bikes and what turns me on are two different things. I want him to be happy, but I also don't want to be too disappointed.

Is it possible to buy the whole thing - bike/frame and the kit for about £800?

I think if I could show him that it is possible to buy decent components then I might be able to persuade him - maybe!

[EDIT] - just to be clear I have had/repaired many bikes in the past. I also have basic electronic skills (soldering/multimeter etc) - so I am pretty confident I could put it all together - [EDIT]

Last edited:

liefbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2020
For off-road as well, you will only be happy with a mid mount, however for that money you should be able to match the latest Bafang BBS02B 48v 750w kit to a suitable second hand full suspension or hard tail.

You will need some tools and basic skills ie the ability to think around issues, but if you do your homework viz making sure first that the kit will go on the bike, and is a suitable setup viz gearing, hydraulics etc, then you will end up with a good all rounder.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
road legal bike + kit: yes, just about.
fun bike: no. You need to double it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hey,

my Dad had offered to get me an eBike.

But, what he wants out of an e-bike and what I want are quite far apart.

He's happy with the road-legal options. But I actually want to take it off-road, climb hills etc. (IRL - I want the fun lever, big motor/battery etc!!).

Is there a middle ground?

I don't want to **** him off because it's a super nice gesture that he wants to get me an e-bike.

He has one, from Halfords. Road legal etc. Pedal-assist limited to 15.5 mph. Cost approx 1k.

When speaking to him - I think he wants me to get a totally road-legal 250-watt shop-bought e-bike. I think that would make him worry the least. I get the feeling that he's not sure I could buy all the bits and assemble it and it work for more than a couple of weeks. And then, I also think he's worried about the quality of the parts.

Overall - he doesn't want to waste his money. He doesn't have a lot by any means and this is a significant investment on his part.

But what turns him on about e-bikes and what turns me on are two different things. I want him to be happy, but I also don't want to be too disappointed.

I think if I could show him that it is possible to buy decent components then I might be able to persuade him - maybe!

[EDIT] - just to be clear I have had/repaired many bikes in the past. I also have basic electronic skills (soldering/multimeter etc) - so I am pretty confident I could put it all together - [EDIT]
Beware of those cheap 1000w/1500w kits and bikes. Everybody I know that bought one loved the first ride, then, some time in the future, ended up hating it. They sound like a good idea, but it doesn't take long to realise the disadvantages.

Just about any electric bike is better than no electric bike.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

liefbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2020
Yep, although if you shop around, you might be able to upgrade to 48v/ 750w for the same or similar cost.