Lost in a sea of options - looking for good bike for hills

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I am in a similar position to ammonite - looking for an e-bike that can cope with the numerous hills of Swansea plus able to help ride into the often frequent headwinds on the Swansea foreshore cycle path.

I also want a rack of some sort so that I am able to carry my pannier bags / shopping. I would prefer some form of trapeze or step-through frame as, despite being a 33.5 inside leg anf 6 foot tall, I find it easier to step through the bike when mounting and dismounting. I currently use a Specialized ladies non e-bike as a shopping bike and, ahem, not having to get my leg over the rear rack and pannier bags is a joy.

The hills around Swansea are numerous and varied - long and steep, short and steep, long gradual climbs, etc. I noticed that Tredz uploaded a video on youtube a few weeks ago of one of their staff riding a Raleigh Motus up Constitution Hill in Swansea - I have seen pro racers collapse on that hill. Talking with the staff they loved the Motus but it seems expensive compared to some of the Cube e-bikes which appear - to my inexperienced eyes - to have better kit for the same money.

I see more and more e-mtbs in Swansea and wonder whether people are opting for them because of the power they give for the local hills. But none have racks and panniers on them so they are not suitable for me. I am not a fan of seatpost mounted racks.

Rant over.
Can't get anymore but ol' hub drive KTM eRace climbs hills like a goat and rear frame & panniers were any easy fit.

Reactions: Tawse57

James63

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2018
I'm not very fit and Bristol is a hilly city too. I have a Gepida Alboin 1000 Alfine 8 with a Bosch Performance line motor. It has a sturdy rack and I often have hefty panniers. With use of low gears and an occasional burst of high assist, I never have to struggle. I take things at a gentle pace around town so not once have I needed to get out of the saddle or felt knackered. Happy bike hunting.

ammonite

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2019
Exeter
So I've had a go on a couple of Cube Touring bikes and the Raleigh Motus Grand Tour. Both bikes were great and I definitely think the Active Plus motor will meet my needs. Overall I preferred the feel of the Cube, plus they have the 500Wh battery so I'm looking at getting one of those but need to decide which one...

Shop A has the "Touring Hybrid 500" for £2200. They only had a smaller frame size in easy entry available for testing, so I am waiting for them to get the 54cm from another branch to test but I'm not totally sure if that will be big enough. They don't have any variants at all left in 58cm and apparently Cube are sold out already.

Shop B has the "Touring Hybrid One 500" from 2018 available in both 54 and 58cm (they think I do need the 58cm). It is £200 cheaper than the first bike. The 2018 version seems to actually sit somewhere inbetween 2019's "Touring Hybrid" and 2019's "Touring Hybrid One" so there doesn't seem to be much difference from the first bike, it looks to be mainly the derailleur and the pannier rack style. To be honest my current bike is fairly cheap and cheerful so don't think I would notice the difference between slightly different components.

I will still try out the 54cm bike from Shop A when it comes in, but I think I'm leaning towards the 2018 one as it is cheaper and may be a more suitable frame size. Can anyone see a good reason to go for the 2019 one? Both shops seemed helpful and both are able to do Bosch servicing, though shop A is more convenient to get to.

I think these are the two bikes:
https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/e-bikes/trekking/tour/touring/cube-touring-hybrid-500-iridiumnblack-2019-easy-entry/
https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/e-bikes/trekking/tour/touring/cube-touring-hybrid-one-500-iridiumnblack-2018-easy-entry/

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
ammonite,

It is important to choose the correct size otherwise you will feel uncomfortable and hate the bike after a while, regardless of its specs.

Have a look at these two threads for starters comparing the Cube Touring Hybrid One and Touring Hybrid 500:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-touring-hybrid-one-500-2019-or-cube-touring-hybrid-500-2019.34234/#post-493185

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-cross-hybrid-one-500-2019.33109/

Have a look at Freeborn's stock of the Easy Entry:
https://www.freeborn.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Cube+Hybrid+Pro+500+easy+entry

Last edited:

ammonite

Mar 24, 2019
Exeter
ammonite,

It is important to choose the correct size otherwise you will feel uncomfortable and hate the bike after a while, regardless of its specs.
Yes of course. I want to try the other size though to see how it feels as I'm not really sure which is correct. The reach on the larger bike felt longer than I'm used to, but I suspect my current bike is a bit too small and I've got used to it being wrong.

M. Tartiflette

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2019
I'm 6' 1" (186cms) and I've got the 54cm Hybrid Touring Pro. I'm at the upper limit of the recommended frame size (those between 180-193cms are recommended 54-58cm frames) but I find it absolutely fine.

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019
I'm 6' 1" (186cms) and I've got the 54cm Hybrid Touring Pro. I'm at the upper limit of the recommended frame size (those between 180-193cms are recommended 54-58cm frames) but I find it absolutely fine.
Out of interest, what inside leg measurement do you have? Is it the cross bar or the trapeze frame that you have?

I am surprised that the bike shop is recommending 58cm for @ammonite. That sounds big for a 33 inch leg. I would not fancy lifting my 34 inch leg over the 58cm frame, especially if I have a pannier bag on the rack. Saying that I have not tried a 58cm so am just speculating.

In my part of the world I have noticed a tendency for some staff in several LBS's to over-size bikes. I have lot count of the times they have tried to sell me a bike that has been simply too big for me. I do suspect that some shops like to sell what they have in stock.

M. Tartiflette

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2019
My inside leg is 35". I've got the cross bar version. Good point about getting your leg over (fnar fnar:)!) - I really wouldn't want any more height in that regard especially.

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019
My inside leg is 35". I've got the cross bar version. Good point about getting your leg over (fnar fnar:)!) - I really wouldn't want any more height in that regard especially.
So being 6 foot 1 and a 35 inch inside leg the 54cm is big enough for you. Thanks.

Yep, I would have my doubt about a 58cm frame with my 6 foot height and 33ish inside leg.

I find lots of people in my LBS's to be roadies and they seem to be forever using road bike sizing as a general rule. I am constantly told to try a 58cm road or gravel bike with sites like Tredz having calculators that state 58cm or 60cm is my right height. But trying those sizes in store they are clearly way too big for me.

I sometimes think that with some men - I am one myself - that bike sizing is all about size and they must have the biggest.

My gut tells me that the 54cm Trapeze will be fine for me - or even the cross bar - but getting my leg over a 58cm with one or two panniers on the back seems a recipe for a hip replacement.

ammonite

Mar 24, 2019
Exeter
Well I've been back and forth to try the bikes a couple of times and in the end decided I preferred the feel of the 2018 Touring Hybrid One in 58cm easy entry. So I picked up my new bike yesterday afternoon :D I've only done a couple of short rides but looking forward to doing more once the weather is nicer.

Thanks all for your comments, it has been really helpful.