Lost key for frog battery

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
Hi

I built a folding ebike about five years ago using a front mounted frog battery. Metal fatigue finally overtook it a short while ago so I took it apart to weld on a new mounting point.
Having got the welding done, I'm at the point of putting it back together again and I can't find the key anywhere.
If it doesn't turn up, have I any options - are these available as spare parts?

TIA

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A couple of options. The lock assembly is a standard part, though there are a couple of different types. You can find them on Ebay. Second way is to disassemble the lock and take the tumblers out. IIRC, the inner and outer are held together with a circlip. Once the tumblers are out, you can use any key or a screwdriver to operate the lock. Nobody else will know, so it should be secure

If you get stuck, take your lock off and show us a photo. I've got a box of locks somewhere, so I might be able to help..

Reactions: John Galvin

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
Thanks for that but panic over now. I went home and found it in my Brompton bag. I presume I had two keys once but I certainly only have one now. I must see if I can get it copied.
Good to know it comes apart so easily just in case I get in trouble again.

A couple of options. The lock assembly is a standard part, though there are a couple of different types. You can find them on Ebay. Second way is to disassemble the lock and take the tumblers out. IIRC, the inner and outer are held together with a circlip. Once the tumblers are out, you can use any key or a screwdriver to operate the lock. Nobody else will know, so it should be secure

If you get stuck, take your lock off and show us a photo. I've got a box of locks somewhere, so I might be able to help..