Woosh Lost keys - what can be done?

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I have just bought a secondhand Woosh Big Bear from one of their customers advertised on their website https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand so I'm pretty sure it's not stolen:) Unfortunately the seller has lost the keys. It's in great condition as although it's 6 years old it's only done 26 miles. The battery works but I'm not sure how much charge it holds as I've not had a chance to try it out properly or put a meter on it yet.

I've emailed Woosh to ask about getting spare keys but just found a note in the Big Bear manual that came with the bike saying not to lose the keys as Woosh can't supply replacements. Assuming this is the case what are my options? I assume that I could replace the whole rack & battery if necessary but that is an expensive option if the battery is still good. Any ideas?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I have just bought a secondhand Woosh Big Bear from one of their customers advertised on their website https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand so I'm pretty sure it's not stolen:) Unfortunately the seller has lost the keys. It's in great condition as although it's 6 years old it's only done 26 miles. The battery works but I'm not sure how much charge it holds as I've not had a chance to try it out properly or put a meter on it yet.

I've emailed Woosh to ask about getting spare keys but just found a note in the Big Bear manual that came with the bike saying not to lose the keys as Woosh can't supply replacements. Assuming this is the case what are my options? I assume that I could replace the whole rack & battery if necessary but that is an expensive option if the battery is still good. Any ideas?
Any good locksmith will be able to open the lock for you if the needs removing.
I have keys made from just the lock barrel in the post. The key profile is on most batteries is pretty basic!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we can supply new keys and lock but you still need to have it unlocked first.

Reactions: nigelbb

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's not worth the cost of a locksmith, considering the cost of a new lock, which you can buy from Aliexpress or Ebay for about £5.

If the battery is unlocked, you can simply unscrew the lock and take it out to replace it, If it's locked, drill it with a 5mm drill to let the tumblers out, then you can turn it to unlock it.

If you buy one online, make sure that the picture shows exactly the same body shape because there are two or three different versions of your type and loads of completely different ones.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
It's not worth the cost of a locksmith, considering the cost of a new lock, which you can buy from Aliexpress or Ebay for about £5.

If the battery is unlocked, you can simply unscrew the lock and take it out to replace it, If it's locked, drill it with a 5mm drill to let the tumblers out, then you can turn it to unlock it.

If you buy one online, make sure that the picture shows exactly the same body shape because there are two or three different versions of your type and loads of completely different ones.
I use the DIY locksmith method.
Got a set of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lock-Jiggler-keys-piece-set/dp/B00HZIP190/ref=pd_lpo_60_t_0/261-7902289-9724634?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HZIP190&pd_rd_r=c1602185-2078-4f8a-ac95-18c1091c5dc3&pd_rd_w=14F7b&pd_rd_wg=DRRUe&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=5F6KD2VSFHGQCJHD4371&psc=1&refRID=5F6KD2VSFHGQCJHD4371

Used these with great success for unlocking comms cabinets, which use similar keys.

"Horses for courses" .... Choose your method

Attachments

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion. The battery is locked onto the bike so drilling out the lock is going to be the cheapest course of action.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Thanks I really like this suggestion. It will be cheaper than getting a locksmith & I'm always happy to acquire new skills & picking locks could lead to a whole new career opportunity :)

Reactions: atheo and MontyPAS

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Thanks for all the suggestions I'll let you know how I get on.

This business with the lock has made me realise that my wife & I now have 5 bike battery locks (currently only 4 keys:)). It would be great if we had 5 locks all the same so we only needed one key. You can easily buy multiple keys for one lock how abut multiple locks with the same key?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for all the suggestions I'll let you know how I get on.

This business with the lock has made me realise that my wife & I now have 5 bike battery locks (currently only 4 keys:)). It would be great if we had 5 locks all the same so we only needed one key. You can easily buy multiple keys for one lock how abut multiple locks with the same key?
When you have the keys, you can disassemble the locks, which are normally only held together with a circlip, then you can take out the tumblers and reassemble the lock. You can then open each lock with any key.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
When you have the keys, you can disassemble the locks, which are normally only held together with a circlip, then you can take out the tumblers and reassemble the lock. You can then open each lock with any key.
Perfect! I'm interested in being able to easily remove the battery from the bike for storage or security & not too bothered about the likelihood of somebody else removing the battery especially as it will appear to be locked.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Perfect! I'm interested in being able to easily remove the battery from the bike for storage or security & not too bothered about the likelihood of somebody else removing the battery especially as it will appear to be locked.
We had a programmable press button combination lock at work one time. When the need for extra security went away we programmed it so it just opened, but if you pressed any keys it wouldn't open (till you pressed clear again). Nobody who wasn't in the know found that combination.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can easily buy multiple keys for one lock how abut multiple locks with the same key?
Easily available, our Council has these for facilities which a number of people need to access.

This company offers just about any type of "alike" keyed padlocks.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Just a quick update. It took all of 30 seconds to unlock with one of mid-size jiggler keys so I now have the battery off & charged. Thanks for the suggestion. I doubt a locksmith would have charged just £14.95 & I am now set up for when we lose other keys. I still need to remove the lock to extract the tumblers as suggested so that can use the lock with any key.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Remove the 4 screws that hold the cover on the controller box side.
The lock is bolted to it.
Remove two screws that hold the lock.
Remove one screw at the end of the tumbler that holds the tumbler.
Remove the 5 brass slot pieces from the tumbler.
Reassemble.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you can open it in 30 seconds with one of the jiggler keys, how about leaving the lock like it is until you can find a key profile that suits the barrel?
just a thought.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Just a quick update. It took all of 30 seconds to unlock with one of mid-size jiggler keys so I now have the battery off & charged. Thanks for the suggestion. I doubt a locksmith would have charged just £14.95 & I am now set up for when we lose other keys. I still need to remove the lock to extract the tumblers as suggested so that can use the lock with any key.
Well done.
Sadly, cylinders on practically all those small locks and many padlocks are quickly opened with such tools.
As you pointed out, the tools are far cheaper than paying a locksmith an hour!
For anyone else with interest in "Picking", there are plenty of good videos on YouTube to assist.
Regards
Andy

Reactions: MontyPAS

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
That set of jiggler keys has saved me on numerous occasions, when customers have lost the keys to their DATA cabinets.
Sadly it shows just how easy it is to remove an expensive battery from its frame and makes you aware not to leave it unattended...... ever!

Spitz

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2020
That set of jiggler keys has saved me on numerous occasions, when customers have lost the keys to their DATA cabinets.
Sadly it shows just how easy it is to remove an expensive battery from its frame and makes you aware not to leave it unattended...... ever!
Having read this thread with interest I am now concerned that the Bosch battery in my Cube ebike is vulnerable to thieves during those odd occasions when the bike is left unattended (E.g shopping trips). I have a good quality lock and cable for securing to a solid object plus pinlocks on other easily removed components. Has anyone found a way of providing an equivalent level of security for their battery other than the barrel lock provided with the bike?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Having read this thread with interest I am now concerned that the Bosch battery in my Cube ebike is vulnerable to thieves during those odd occasions when the bike is left unattended (E.g shopping trips). I have a good quality lock and cable for securing to a solid object plus pinlocks on other easily removed components. Has anyone found a way of providing an equivalent level of security for their battery other than the barrel lock provided with the bike?
Start off by installing at least one sensitive alarm, one that is really loud.
I use one now, for several years, that a strong wind can set it off occasionally.
This is the model I have with remote control, sits under the saddle and is also a red rear light, USB charging for internal battery, which lasts around 3 weeks per charge.
Also, a well disguised GPS tracker. There are some around 40 UK Pounds, disguised as a rear light as well, but appear that they can be also put on a mudguard if needed.
These models I have not tried myself:-
Best wishes.
Andy