low sun

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
out on a cycle today, and on previous days where the sun has been low and in my eyes, pretty dangerous, i have got a pair of cheap sunglasses which are pretty useless, should have known better, so was wondering if anybody knows a pair that are effective and at reasonable cost, looked at sinner glasses on go outdoors seem not bad , but dont know until i go out on that low sun
out on a cycle today, and on previous days where the sun has been low and in my eyes, pretty dangerous, i have got a pair of cheap sunglasses which are pretty useless, should have known better, so was wondering if anybody knows a pair that are effective and at reasonable cost, looked at sinner glasses on go outdoors seem not bad , but dont know until i go out on that low sun
Could you wear a Baseball Cap under your normal Helmet as they have large peaks ? My Brother finds it satisfactory .

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I've opted for a pair of prescription sunglasses, something ive never had. I normally squint and wear a baseball cap.
Always the prob when you sport 4 eyes having a pair of fancy polarized eyegoggles when you cant use them cos its nice to be able to actually be able to see :D
I'm actually looking forward to this years summer sun so I can ride about and not be blinded.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I was having same problems in a car .. while you can cut out the sun, somewhat, using the sunshades, the reflection from the wet/icy road surface was so bad I actually had to stop a couple of times to let my eyes adjust to the sudden glare.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
..the reflection from the wet/icy road surface was so bad I actually had to stop a couple of times to let my eyes adjust to the sudden glare.
As above, your solution to reflected light is polarised sunglasses, not plain ones. A quick video demo of reflected light bouncing off a desk/bench being blocked:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
As above, your solution to reflected light is polarised sunglasses, not plain ones.
That will indeed help with reflected light.
Is it it going to help with the original posters problem of low sun in the eyes as well ?

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Good question: polarised sunglasses won't improve over any other sunglasses for direct light. The light intensity will still decrease just because the shaded glass decreases all transmission, but it's not selective - everything gets darker.

My point was that the problem of low sun is that it's usually encountered in winter, and often with wet surfaces (= reflections galore), and that's where polarised lenses win.

I guess the other option is photochromic lenses that react to the intensity of the light - the brighter the sun, the darker they go. I can offer no recommendations there because I've never tried them.

Reactions: sjpt

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Is it it going to help with the original posters problem of low sun in the eyes as well ?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Absolutely, you need a visor for the direct light, polarized glasses for the reflected light. (as richtea99 said)
If the sun is really low the visor may not be enough for the direct light.
In that case you are stuck, anything that makes it darker means you can't really see anything.

My point was that the problem of low sun is that it's usually encountered in winter, and often with wet surfaces (= reflections galore), and that's where polarised lenses win.

I guess the other option is photochromic lenses that react to the intensity of the light - the brighter the sun, the darker they go. I can offer no recommendations there because I've never tried them.
Photochromic are great for some things, but won't help with either direct or reflected low sun.