Lubricating plastic

camerart

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2012
Dorset
Hi,
I'm looking for a grease to use on a car window winder mechanism, that has nylon parts, and comes in contact with water and dust, so I looked for silicon grease. One thing led to another, and I looked at electrical switches with plastic components, electric bike power gears etc.

I've received a reply from a PTFE dry chain lubricant manufacturer, that this will dry out and isn't perfect, but will do no damage to the plastic. some of these products have a short shelf life, so not suitable to be left 'out of sight and mind'

Does anyone have a suggestion for a general grease, which is economic to buy as a standby, please?
Cheers, Camerart

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Silicone grease. You can't use oil-based greases because they get absorbed by the nylon, which makes it swell and jam.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I think this grease should be ok, it is mineral based and can used around rubber/plastics (but being white might stain?). I've read somewhere a reviewer uses it in his bafang motor with plastic gears without problems.
The last Q&A has a link to the datasheet.

D

Deleted member 25121

I think this grease should be ok, it is mineral based and can used around rubber/plastics (but being white might stain?). I've read somewhere a reviewer uses it in his bafang motor with plastic gears without problems.
The last Q&A has a link to the datasheet.
It's based on mineral oil so I wouldn't use it on plastic parts, I suggest using silicone grease which is almost certainly what the manufacturer used.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Just stumbled across this which is the silicone type grease as recommended above and states it is suitable for plastics/rubber.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm looking for a grease to use on a car window winder mechanism, that has nylon parts, and comes in contact with water and dust
Water isn't a problem since it's actually an excellent lubricant for nylon. Just a pity it won't stay in place without containment of course, so silicone grease is the compromise as others have said.

camerart

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2012
Dorset
Hi,

I've ordered some silicon grease.

As mentioned in my initial question, I tried PTFE dry chain lubricant. I contacted 'Muck off' the supplier, and was told, that there is no problem with it, but silicon is correct.

Thanks, to all.
C.