Major incident declared at London Luton airport after huge fire breaks out

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Has there been any creditable reports of the cause?

If as is being suggested here it was probably some EV, I can see that becoming a major obstacle in the drive to go the battery-based EV route.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If as is being suggested here it was probably some EV, I can see that becoming a major obstacle in the drive to go the battery-based EV route.
Not so. Quote:

"Every year in the UK, over 100,000 cars which equates to nearly 300 a day go up in flames and around 100 people die as a result."

We never got hysterical about that with i.c. cars, we just got used to it and accepted it. EVs will probably cause somewhat more so we'll just get used to that and accept it.

For climate change and human health reasons we have to switch to battery EVs. It will happen and with 1.4 million now on UK roads it's gone too far to stop.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
BBC says police suspect a diesel car.
Probably, more fake news from the BBC. The photo in the other thread, shows intense burning from the front of the car. Diesel doesn't burn like that. Its tyres are still intact, so not a slow burn start. It's possible that the camera flare makes it look hotter than it is, but what I noticed is that everyone with "EV" or other green issues in their bio are all spouting "diesel car", when nobody is sure yet. Where's Marianna Spring when you need her? She and her disinformation team seem to have gone very quiet considering all the fake news coming out of Israel from both sides. Mind you, she seems to have gone a bit quiet, peroid, since someone exposed that she's a bit of an expert regarding misinformation, when she expressed awful misjudgement for lying on her CV.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ha, probably not an ebike ;)

What odds would you give on a, lets say, a Telsa?

Now confirmed that it was begun by a diesel Range Rover fire, setting off a chain reaction fire of the other cars. It's six months after Land Rover recalled several models of the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport to address issues that could potentially lead to fires.

The insurer of that car will potentially now be facing a staggering bill.

Apparently not a first, in 2017 a Land Rover burst into flames within a multi-storey car park in Liverpool, creating a 1,000C inferno that incinerated up to 1,600 vehicles. The fire was hot enough to melt aluminium and engulfed seven floors of the parking structure at the Echo Arena on Liverpool's waterfront.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flash

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Now confirmed that it was begun by a diesel Range Rover fire
And a golden opportunity for those, some of whoom may post on here, who go looking for 'conspiracies'.

The insurer of that car will potentially now be facing a staggering bill.
And maybe difficult to avoid claims if it was a 'known' issue.

Unless the owner ignored a recall notice ..........................

Reactions: flecc

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Chip oil is illegal..
It might be, but is that of any consequence in this instance ?

I have been eating chips for almost 60 years, cooked in 'Chip oil' I presume, and I dont ever recall a chip spontaneously bursting into flames.

Whatever fuel you use in your vehicle, something has to start the fire.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
And a golden opportunity for those, some of whoom may post on here, who go looking for 'conspiracies'.

And maybe difficult to avoid claims if it was a 'known' issue.

Unless the owner ignored a recall notice ..........................
According to the unconfirmed reports, the range Rover started the fire with diesel burning from a leak, but it set fire to the electric cars around it, which is what caused the inferno and catostrophic destruction. The various electric cars were all setting light to each other in a chain reaction.

Can you imagine what ot would be like in a multi-storey carpark in the future when a fire starts and all the cars are electric instead of say one in 20 with plenty of space around them.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
GB news has just said that it wasn’t a leaky Range Rover after all, and it started due to a faulty Tesla charging point.

Straight from Jacob Rees Mogg.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The latest story is that it was one of these, and it was the battery that caught fire. That seems consistent with what you see in the video of it burning, which doesn't look anything like a diesel fire. They were calling it a diesel, even though they knew it was a hybrid. The story changes every 5 minutes, but it's looking more and more that all my feelings about it were right.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
According to the unconfirmed reports, the range Rover started the fire with diesel burning from a leak, but it set fire to the electric cars around it, which is what caused the inferno and catostrophic destruction. The various electric cars were all setting light to each other in a chain reaction.
This is pure fantasy, how many e-cars do the storytellers think there are?

Hybrid and battery only combined are 4.3% of the fleet in Britain, so electric cars all round that Range Rover is bunkum.

Those around it it will have been ic cars, at least half of them diesel and diesel fuel burning as a result.

And what about the previous multi storey car park burn out and collapse of the building with around 1600 cars, also caused by a Range Rover in 2017 which then would have been diesel, not hybrid. That 2017 car park would have had hardly any e-cars in it six years ago.

Just look at the photos in this link

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

could be a problem with the new anti car theft subscription service

Reactions: PC2017

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There's a new story, probably verified by BBC, the Guardian, Sunak and Rees Mogg, so is definitely true. It was Hamas. The car was a Rangerover diesel/electric hybrid. They filled the engine compartment with thermite and ignited it remotely. It then set the battery and diesel ablaze. They also planted a few electric cars around it to turn it into an inferno. They were seen in the departure lounge bar laughing their heads off until their flight was cancelled and they realised that they'd have to rebook through Birmingham and deal with the rush hour traffic. That wiped the smile off their faces.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There's a new story, probably verified by BBC, the Guardian, Sunak and Rees Mogg, so is definitely true. It was Hamas. The car was a Rangerover diesel/electric hybrid. They filled the engine compartment with thermite and ignited it remotely. It then set the battery and diesel ablaze. They also planted a few electric cars around it to turn it into an inferno. They were seen in the departure lounge bar laughing their heads off until their flight was cancelled and they realised that they'd have to rebook through Birmingham and deal with the rush hour traffic. That wiped the smile off their faces.
You know, you should always write "BAZINGA!" at the end of statements like that, or you might find it reprinted by some tabloids tomorrow in the morning.

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
It might be, but is that of any consequence in this instance ?

I have been eating chips for almost 60 years, cooked in 'Chip oil' I presume, and I dont ever recall a chip spontaneously bursting into flames.

Whatever fuel you use in your vehicle, something has to start the fire.
Yes, Deffo a diesel range rover chip pan fire. Must've been having a fry up in the back! :)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If there's any truth in that conspiracy theory, they did Luton a favour.

Luton has a history of building crap on the cheap and demolishing it soon thereafter (the town-center Galleria multi-story car-park being a good/relevant/recent example), so any helping hand is saving the Council tax-payer.

No sprinklers? I'm not political per-se, but only a Labour-run Council could be so thick and "cheap-skate" when it's adjacent the main terminal building... considering they own and run the whole Airport complex.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc