Help! Major problem ....motor cable

Naycrx

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2020
Hi,

Completed a very successful 90miles on my yose kit 350w kit. Unfortunately on my way home today, my tyre rubbed through thee motor cable. Its plugged from the controller to motor, its skimmed the top off a thickish blue wire and snapped a very thin green cable..... I joined it back together. But now all the bike does is rock forward when throttle is applied, and a noise comes from the built in speed controller? The controller and battery mount are one unit....

Any ideas or have I ruined it?

Naycrx

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2020
Also..... Does anyone know of anyone in the Nottinghamshire area that could look over it? I'm not aware of any shops?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have likely shorted or damaged other wires as well, the three thick ones are phase wires and the thin ones are motor hall wires. Make sure the motor connection has been tugged apart at all, a wire repair might still work but you will not know if any of the other wires have been damaged as well inside the black outer case.

Disconnect the motor wire connector near the motor and spin the wheel by hand both ways, fwd should freewheel and backward should have very slight resistance. If so motor wheel is fine.

The rough electronic noise from the controller is poor phase sync so damage may have occurred or bad phase wire connection or phase wire break.
If you have a meter you can carry out a few simple wire test on the controller to see if the mosfets have been shorted, to do this you will need to remove the controller form the battery rail and open the controller to make it easier to test.

Without the test you can't be sure of what is wrong without willy nilly replacing parts which then gets expensive, pin pointing the issue will be cheaper.
Ruling out the motor wheel and controller will lead to the fault being the 9 pin cable in between the two being at fault.

It possible you just need a new 9 pin cable to connect between controller and motor connector, but to be sure you ideally also need to carry out the motor wheel test and the controller test. We can guide you to carry out the mosfet test if you have a meter.

Last edited:

Naycrx

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2020
Brilliant thanks for the help, to be honest I'm not great with electronics.

Considering buying a new kit as I need it for commuting.

Not sure if I could sell the old one for spares or repair

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you live near Southend, bring your wheel in, I'll repair it for you.

Naycrx

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2020
if you live near Southend, bring your wheel in, I'll repair it for you.
That's very kind of you, but your about 150 miles away... Do you know of anyone in Nottinghamshire?

After uncovering the black cable, a thin green wire had snapped and took a bit of the blue plastic off the thinner one, obviously they were touching. I have rejoined them, but when thee acceleration is pressed, the wheel moves forward about an inch and stops. Then the noise from the controller starts until you let off

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need to be great for testing using a meter, just able to unscrew items and attach the meter's probes where asked. Most of the testing doesn't need any battery connected to carry out testing.

Did you try the wheel test with the hub cable connector disconnected ?

Naycrx

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2020
Yes I'll go and pick a meter up....

Tried the wheel, do. You mean remove the wire that goes into the axle?

I spun it, yes freewheel one way and resistance the other way

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes I'll go and pick a meter up....

Tried the wheel, do. You mean remove the wire that goes into the axle?

I spun it, yes freewheel one way and resistance the other way
Yes disconnect the wire that comes from the axle.
Freewheel forwards and slight resistance backwards should hear a whirring noise as planet gears/clutch engage, means the hub motor is good.

When you reconnect the hub/axle wire the motor if it doesn't freewheel as before or there is no slight resistance backwards as in the test before, it means either the controller or the wiring from the hub connector to the controller is faulty.
We know you have a damaged wire but first you need to rule out damage to the controller.

Your next test needs to be the controller so when you have meter we can tell you how to do that.

Last edited: