Making mid drive, help required.

Bobsplace

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2020
Hi guys, this is my first post so apologies if this has been covered, likely multiple times.

I'm converting my 2010 kona dawg to electric and was planning to use either a 250w or 350w bafang mid drive. From what I've read it seems that I'm better off going for the 350w as they're basically the same in size and weight. I'm trying to keep it as light as possible. Can anyone advise me if this is the right thing to do as I'm only 12 stone and have pretty strong legs.

If the 350w bafang is the best kit to go for then can anyone advise me how much I should be paying and where best to buy from? I'm totally lost and in need of direction.

Thanks.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The bafang is a great unit the 250watt is 15 amps the 350watt is 18 amps out of the box. Both can be reprogramed to 20 amp max [but did get one motor that would not flash /upgrade multiple factory /importers all request a different basic set up
So not a lot in it both are the same motor but with different firmware so weigh the same and Brighton bikes keep the etm version [extra torque] version this has noticeable increase in power
As to purchase not used bbs01 in a while, but have seen on the PSW POWER site 15 amp version $345 tax free in the German warehouse
As a side note will your chosen battery fit in the frame tri- angle with the suspension fully compressed its a very tight fit in the small - med stinky frame ok in the 19 in large

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
From what I've read it seems that I'm better off going for the 350w as they're basically the same in size and weight.
Wrong way round. they're identical, so you need the 250w one for legality. You then program it to 18 amps to be the same as the 350w one. You'll need to buy or make the programming leads. there are loads of online guides on how to do that.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Aren't the controllers different on BBS01 250w and 350w ?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
No the same just flashed with different firmware just need the cable and a few mins to spare
I thought the latest 'B' version threw up an error when trying to reprogram the 250w from 15a to 18a, in which case you need the 350w physical controller to run at 18a ?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The bbs01 is made to suppliers spec and stickered accordingly it depends what company you buy it from, only had one from a uk supplier that would not play even seen a bbs02 with a 250w sticker in the box [the problem is you do not know what you have purchased until you try to flash it [multiple factory options]

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I got the 250w Bbs01b. Usb lead cost about a tenner with programme on CD, there is a tweaked program download link on pedelecs somewhere too. I've had a play but I haven't left the motor set at 350w, uses more power, but if I want to go playing on the hilly bridleways around, I'd tweak it up to 350w /18ah. It only takes a few minutes.
Re 20ah suggested, I'm sure I read here that it can be an issue, maybe overheating. Can anyone clarify?

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I got the 250w Bbs01b. Usb lead cost about a tenner with programme on CD, there is a tweaked program download link on pedelecs somewhere too. I've had a play but I haven't left the motor set at 350w, uses more power, but if I want to go playing on the hilly bridleways around, I'd tweak it up to 350w /18ah. It only takes a few minutes.
Re 20ah suggested, I'm sure I read here that it can be an issue, maybe overheating. Can anyone clarify?
I thought 18a was max on the bbs01 but guess it depends on supplier. I wouldnt risk 20a on a bbs01 personally. In fact I run my bbs02 at 21a when it can be programmed for 25a