Makita tool batterys with 250w hub

Chan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2018
Thanks in advance been snooping about and now have a few thoughts questions.

I’m interested to see has anyone tried or actively uses Makita 18v tool batteries with 250w motors.

As I already own 6. Found instances of people using Dewalt and Ryobi not Makita though. Advantages being that they are durable easily clic on and off and if you need more distance bring more batterys in a bag.

As far as I can figure 2x18v 4ah = 36v 4ah.

They now have 6ah so if it works can get 2 of those as I can use for work also.

-Makita tool battery 2x18v=36v
-250w hub motor
-Bike I have old Dawes discovery 201 https://dawescycles.com/product/discovery-201
Or could buy second hand mountain bike.

Looking on youtube looks like Makita batteries internally cut out at 9v as a safety measure. Do the controllers cut the power to protect battery also?

Stupid question but what would be best 250 w hub kit I have looked on amazon and eBay, then thought poss just go with cyclotricity as would hope they use a reasonable motor etc as there name is on it.

In live in the west of Ireland and don’t see that many ebike around let alone DIY to actually look at in the flesh.

This is a small battery but it is just for pleasure and could get 15km or 9miles this would be plenty for my needs. Also as there are tools of trade I can get them cheap.

If anyone has any thoughts advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Not sure what the current rating of any tool batteries is, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the 12-20A that a bike motor/controllwer will be calling for. This could lead to damaged battery.
Two batteries in series would in deed be 36v, you could parrallel them with two more, so halving the current draw/pair.
Have a look at Woosh bike for light weight geared hub kit, be wary of ebay stuff, a lot of it is direct drive so high draw at low speed.

Chan

Nov 25, 2018
Thanks yes was thinking about 4 batteries this is def an option.
Just had a look at the woosh site think I need to clear up if I use geared or direct drive. might try call woosh tomorrow and see what they recommend and could I get the kit without battery then get the battery if the Makita idea doesn't really work.
those 18 volt batteries run grinders and circ saws must be able to push 200w each, so 2 in series easy 400w. but if using 4 might as Well of bought proper battery but I have them so can I use them...

woosh motor options seem to be if using rear

Bafang SWX02 26" or 700C Wheel and 48V 12AH HL Battery
Hubkit with 26"/27.5"/700C XF08 CST Wheel and 13AH HL Battery
Hubkit with BPM hub motor in a wheel and 15AH HL Battery
The SWX02 Hub Kit in 26" rim

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi Chan, I've seen one going about Perth, with 6 Makita batteries so in your case 3x2x18v=36v 12ah. DIY multi purpose battery pack.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Friend plans to use two 5A Makita batteries in series on his kids bike. We figure cheapest option for mounting them is Makita torches, will need to cut torch in half and mount its battery holder on frame some how.

They are designed to deliver very high currents for short periods so drawing 10A shouldn't be problem.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Few threads on here dewalt ebike has a video. And small battery bargain is thread about 36 v 4ah lawn mower battery's this is what I came up with for an adaptor using kitchen chopping boards after reading the small battery bargain thread.

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk

Chan

Nov 25, 2018
That’s great thought somebody must be doing it.
6 bats sounds messy but possible only half being used at a time.

How could you test a grinder or battery tool to see how much power it’s drawing.
In real time can that be done with a multi meter. Or only way is to charge - drain fully, time it and work out from there?

Cheapest battery adapter I think is the usb clip.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223115395745

Chopping board looks good. I’ll have to search thread for bargain small battery’s.
Did you have any issues with the connection being intermittent over bumps?
Out of interest how does a 36v 4ah cheap battery perform?

There used to be a makita bike made by makita but was 18v it could take 2 batteries but think that. Just extended range.
https://www.makita.co.nz/products/model/BBY180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I bought 6 36v 4a batteries. I used a pair at a time and carried more if I needed them. At first I got 20/33 miles out of a pair a lot of pedaling to get the 33. I have now done just over 5000 miles on them in 4 years. Only got one pair left which gets about 8 miles now. I pulled 3 of the reserve packs apart and put in a non solder Vruzend battery building kit. There were 20 18650's in each battery 2 batteries fitted in my battery box using the vruzend kit I fit 60 cells in my box. Getting about 15 miles out of that now.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
No problems with bumps. I made the holders a tight fit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Somewhere on ES a guy made a bespoke retro cruiser style 50/60's ebike using 6 Dewalt batteries in the frames triangle. The finished bike was sublime and the batteries looked like engine pistons sitting in the open.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Soundwave posted a video of that bike on here dewalt ebike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: daveboy

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I wouldn't like to take any of these bikes out in the rain. Big chance of water going where you don't want it. That's why I put mine in a box which also helps for security.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Back in the day the guys over at ES used to profit from sales of cheap packs, take them apart and use the cells to build batteries. They found that the big name tool manufacturers use quality high discharge cells. Some of the first 20700/21700 cells came from Makita packs IIRC.

Chan

Nov 25, 2018
Thats excellent Nealh thats a bike build with the Makita bats and some advise from his experience with them.
from that post fire dog thinks you get 10m from 2x5ah makitas that would do for most things and for longer journeys just bring some more with.

Craiggor your right def need a box of some water proof form west of Ireland always the potential for rain.

Im def going to try with Makita batteries, thinking rear hub.

have to find a hub now

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Back in the day the guys over at ES used to profit from sales of cheap packs, take them apart and use the cells to build batteries. They found that the big name tool manufacturers use quality high discharge cells. Some of the first 20700/21700 cells came from Makita packs IIRC.
Your right AK, I remember reading about guys in the US picking up 2 x 4Ah 36 v Bosch packs with a charger for $100, that was 20 x 4Ah 20700 cells. I was truly fuming when I looked at the price in UK.:mad:

Last edited:

Chan

Nov 25, 2018
Been looking at the Yosepower 36v 350w. nothing to worry about there with regards to using the lower amp batterys ?
I presume with the controller if I wanted you can limit the amps or something to make it stretch out with the controller.
Checked with woosh and they prefer to sell complete kit with battery..
When you look at the price of the Yosepower batteries on there site there cheaper than the drill batteries Makita anyway have housing connections mounts makes me wonder if worth the effort, but love messing with things, just can/will end up more expensive in the end....

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Yes, you can lower the max. amp draw through the LCD on the Yose kits, or just use PAS 1-4. The lower amp packs will give the same amperage, just won't last as long. As you say, bike batteries have come down in price in the last couple of years, so using power tool packs is less of an advantage in cost. If you have them already, then great, but if you have to buy them, a proper bike battery is prob. the way to go.

creationg

Just Joined
Jun 7, 2020
Thanks in advance been snooping about and now have a few thoughts questions.

I’m interested to see has anyone tried or actively uses Makita 18v tool batteries with 250w motors.

As I already own 6. Found instances of people using Dewalt and Ryobi not Makita though. Advantages being that they are durable easily clic on and off and if you need more distance bring more batterys in a bag.

As far as I can figure 2x18v 4ah = 36v 4ah.

They now have 6ah so if it works can get 2 of those as I can use for work also.

-Makita tool battery 2x18v=36v
-250w hub motor
-Bike I have old Dawes discovery 201 https://dawescycles.com/product/discovery-201
Or could buy second hand mountain bike.

Looking on youtube looks like Makita batteries internally cut out at 9v as a safety measure. Do the controllers cut the power to protect battery also?

Stupid question but what would be best 250 w hub kit I have looked on amazon and eBay, then thought poss just go with cyclotricity as would hope they use a reasonable motor etc as there name is on it.

In live in the west of Ireland and don’t see that many ebike around let alone DIY to actually look at in the flesh.

This is a small battery but it is just for pleasure and could get 15km or 9miles this would be plenty for my needs. Also as there are tools of trade I can get them cheap.

If anyone has any thoughts advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, I have just built a trike using two Makita 18v 6ah batteries in series to produce 36v to a 250w motor. Works great and seems to last days on charge. Am thinking of producing these bikes commercially.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments