Mambo (I mean puncture) No.5

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks for that Flecc, much appreciated. Unfortunately those dont seem to match my P5 either. On mine, I have 2 sets of bearings on the gear cable side internally instead of the one shown. the guy at the bike shop has discussed this with the SRAM reps (in the UK), and they are saying that this is some form of aftermarket/bespoke design as they have never seen it, and thats why they have sent photos of it to Germany.

They have asked where I got it from (told them AW Cycles), and so dont understand why I have this unusual model as it would be just too much effort for a bike shop to change it.

Could it be a change that Giant have commision for a specific market?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could it be a change that Giant have commision for a specific market?

John
That sounds very likely John. Giant had trouble on the Lafree with gear hubs for the obvious reason that they were subjected to double the usual stresses with both rider and motor power, and the worst problem was with the Shimano Nexus 4 speed hub which they stopped using and which Shimano promptly discontinued.

The replacement Giant adopted was the SRAM P5, so they may have produced an adaptation to strengthen that drive side support. Mine didn't have that since I built in a separately bought P5 after buying the bike long before Giant adopted the P5.

When mine failed after four years hard work, I just replaced the entire inner core, these normally a bit cheaper than a complete hub. In fact I couldn't get the inner at the time, but found Wiggle had the whole hub gear on discount at £88, normal price £115 at the time, so that was just as cheap and I took the inner from one of those and ditched the shell.

If SRAM don't come up trumps with an answer, maybe a Giant electric bike dealer can put in an inquiry to Giant about it for you. You probably know your local one already, but if not, here's the page to find one. Put a tick in the "electric" box and enter your postcode for the nearest:

Giant Bicycle UK Dealers