Marathon Plus disappointment

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
From all the favourable comments here and elsewhere, I had been lulled into thinking that Marathon Plus tyres were just about impregnable. Imagine my frustration, then, to lift my bike from the car boot in a place 80 miles from home to discover a completely flat front tyre. The odd thing is that I had done a 17-mile trip the day before without noticing any ominous signs of impending deflation, and I could not find anything obvious sticking into (or out of) the rubber.

So blasé had I become that I had got out of the habit of carrying any puncture repair tools, but fortunately, I spotted a branch of Halfords nearby, and they did the repair very promptly, and I was soon on my way again.

This was only about 400 miles after fitting these tyres. Is this a record?
At any rate, I've learned a lesson.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bad luck Bode, but you aren't alone. JohninStockie fitted Marathon Plus tyres and then suffered a whole series of punctures on his commute. They turned out to caused by strands of stiff wire which had somehow been scattered on that road, possibly from cut-offs of wire rope. If spikes are long enough they can't resist that.

I've used MPs for over five years now and have only ever had one puncture, caused by a very long blackthorn spike, so with luck this one will be your quota for at least five years.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
My 2 cents
I was tempted to get some marathon plus tyres after getting 3 punctures last winter. After looking at the specs i decided to get plain marathons with the kevlar strip protection instead. My thinking was, (knowing my luck) a thorn or spike could be longer than the silicon gel area offered by the marathon plus tyres and you would still get a puncture. The kevlar strip would be tougher for the spike to penetrate and they were doing a good deal at £16 each.
Tempting fate here, but, so far so good.......:)

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
I have just replaced my rear one, front still ok about 18 months old and still no punctures. He says as he touches wood (head);)

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have 408 miles with my new Torq 2, and no flats.

So maybe I'm due.

Heck, though, I've used plain old tires and tubes here, and lucky to get a week on them. So, there's that.

C

Cyclezee

I have fitted Marathon+ to several bikes and only had one puncture. That was a drawing pin outside a supermarket and I suspect that might have been foul play. My Agattu used by my son has covered over 3000 miles on them without a puncture.
On the other hand, my Pro Connect S managed only 24 miles on Continental Top Contacts before getting a puncture, as a result I have no confidence in the puncture resistance of these tyres.

They have one year warranty against punctures but I have been waiting a month for a replacement tyre from 50Cycles.

In the meantime I have fitted a Continental Touring Plus which is very similar in construction to the M+.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have managed over 3000 miles / 11 Months on the standard Marathon Racers as fitted to the Pro Connect without a puncture. This is probably due to a combination of good luck and only riding on roads. But having said that, I think they have a Kevlar strip built into them, which probably helps.

Looking at the construction of the Marathon Plus, it certainly looks as though they should offer better puncture resistance.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I think 3000 miles without a puncture (even if you only ride on roads) is outstanding.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think 3000 miles without a puncture (even if you only ride on roads) is outstanding.
My five years worth of Marathon Plus on three bikes represents just over 10,000 miles with a single puncture when I stupidly ran over fresh cuttings of blackthorn on a country cyclepath. I think that's as good a recommendation as one could want for these tyres since nearly all those miles were on-road without a single puncture.

Over the same period I had more punctures than I care to remember on my two trailer tyres, two in a 3 mile trip once.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I did recommend Marathon Plus to someone who had a puncture earlier this year. Sods law he had another puncture a few weeks after fitting them.:eek: There's just some things in the road that no inflatable tyre is going to survive. Looks like Marathon Plus are your best chance though.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I have never had a punture with the Marathon + having ridden with them for over 4000 miles. I was getting a puncture a week before swapping them. I wouldn't be complacent though as you do need to keep checking them for embedded glass/nails etc. I have picked out countless bits that I am sure would eventually work their way through the smartguard layer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have never had a punture with the Marathon + having ridden with them for over 4000 miles. I was getting a puncture a week before swapping them. I wouldn't be complacent though as you do need to keep checking them for embedded glass/nails etc. I have picked out countless bits that I am sure would eventually work their way through the smartguard layer.
I've never done that once despite plenty of broken glass in my area, relying on the inner layer to do its rejection job. It seems to do it ok as I've reported above.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I've never done that once despite plenty of broken glass in my area, relying on the inner layer to do its rejection job. It seems to do it ok as I've reported above.
From my experience I left one piece in and by the time I removed it it had made a pretty big tear in the outer casing showing a large chunk of blue smartguard bulging through. Once deflated it superglued up OK and that seemed to hold but I learned my lession.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That was a bad one Harry, I get numerous smaller glass cuts and I suppose there's bits of glass in there sometimes, but I've never had a tear that large in my years with them. I'll just continue with my lazy way which has paid off to date. :D

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Oh no, it's happened again!

I can't believe it! My Marathon Plus tyres picked up another puncture today, only about 3 months since the last one.
I saw what did it this time; a thorn in the side wall. Obviously their Achilles' heel. Wish it were possible to have a puncture resistant layer there too!

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my Brompton (16" wheels) get used on smooth tarmac, rough surfaces, and bumpy forest tracks covered in old brambles...without any issues. I am very, very impressed by the reliability so far.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
marathon plus

I should have read this thread BEFORE the weekend, and I may have been a bit sharper about remembering to pack my tools and puncture kit...but I didnt!

with my wife on her new Nano Brompton, we set of on a 34 mile Herts trip, and all went well with her grinning from ear to ear, as every hill was pleasantly dispatched...come 15 miles in, and a lunch stop nearing, I hear a loud groan, and lo & behold she has a puncture in her Front wheel (Marathon Plus)...of course there was nothing for it but for me to cycle 'quickly' back and get the car....
interestingly, only 2 weeks ago, on a short break out in Sufflok, she had a rear puncture, which meant taking the derailleur off, before getting the wheel out...but this time, I cant even figure out how to get the 'protective hook' off that holds the folded bike together...it seems to be connected to the mudguard stays, and has to be removed to get to the wheel nuts...
this is the first puncture in 20 years or so, and in puncture 'resistant' tyres too.....what a bummer!

barryc.