Maximising range

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
37.7 mph here. On 26" wheels I feel safe at 35-38 mph. Over that speed I am going to want bigger wheels and suspension up front.

Back on topic: use the assistance levels like you would your front derailler. On the flat and small hills I use level 2 of 5. 5 on steep climbs and 0 or 1 on downhill sections. 1 because sometimes you have a false flat section. Now that I am fit I guess I could limit myself to using 4 on climbs but 5 is more fun (lycra baiting for example :rolleyes:.

Use your gears! Get to your comfortable cruising cadence and change as often as you need to maintain that. I am always clicking through the gears to maintain my preferred cadence. Even with a hub motor cadence is the key.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I forgot to mention, use assist at 0 going downhills, no point in having any assist on if you are doing a downhill stretch.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If you aren’t pedalling going downhill you won’t be using any battery power. Only a tiny amount used to run the BMS.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Reactions: Lancslass

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
If you aren’t pedalling going downhill you won’t be using any battery power. Only a tiny amount used to run the BMS.
But I do generally pedal downhills, or at least I sometimes do, so turning the assist to 0 means I use no battery (doesn't it...?)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
But I do generally pedal downhills, or at least I sometimes do, so turning the assist to 0 means I use no battery (doesn't it...?)
If you’re going downhill and pedalling while using assist in practice you will use almost no power because the motor isn’t doing any real work. You use most power going fast on the flat and going uphill. Just as pedalling on a normal bike going downhill takes almost no effort.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
If you’re going downhill and pedalling while using assist in practice you will use almost no power because the motor isn’t doing any real work. You use most power going fast on the flat and going uphill. Just as pedalling on a normal bike going downhill takes almost no effort.
So might as well be in 0 assist under those circumstances?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Don't want to make the feeling worse, but we do have an unofficial 50mph club in the forum, members being those who've done over 50 mph downhill on their bikes. It's gone a bit quiet more recently.

I don't quite qualify, my latest best was just short at 48 mph.

This thread refers.
I am more likely to be joining the mile high club than the 50mph crowd on Juicy Lucy! :D:p

Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Got a nice rhythm to it, could be a song in it somewhere :p.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I am more likely to be joining the mile high club than the 50mph crowd on Juicy Lucy! :D:p
Nah Lucy can do it, all you need is a steep longish hill and get into a tuck, nothing better than passing cars at speed on a dutch style bike :)
My Tonaro Esprit is a very similar bike and is surprisingly stable at speed.