Maximum commute range & extra battery?

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Yes it is worth it for the "fun factor" alone.
If you have two batteries you only need one charger - you can take it to work with you (like the second battery) after all it's only the size of a small box of chocolates plus the wires.

You could see my posts under gearing and comments re the seat pin if that poses a problem for you

To mithril re. his double chainwheel. Whilst I was experimenting with a smaller chainwheel I put a 44 tooth Sugino on the inside and took off the inner chain guard. So I had two. I preferred the 44 in the last analysis.
One could leave both on and change gear like they did in the early Tours de France before the derailleur was invented. Hook the chain off one onto the other when you get to the hilly bit (or plan the set up in advance of the trip when you know where you're going). Obnviously one can't fit a front changer -(1) there's not room between the battery and the seat tube (2) the seat tube is jointed forward of the bottom bracket and the angle between tube and chainwheel would be entirely wrong.
There's the option of brazing the changer, after suitable modification to the seat tube..........where is this going??
itspeteinit

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The best answer for gearing on the Torq is my favourite hub gear, the SRAM P5 like that I fitted on the Lafree Twist. It'd need a sprung idler for chain tension.

With it's 252% range it would give gears from roughly 44" to 110" (that latter is the equivalent of the present Torq's 7th gear.) so infinitely better than at present, with only 200% range. About £200 including wheel build, choice of trigger change or right hand twistgrip.

The biggest benefit apart from the gear range is doing away with all the unnecessary gears. On the Twist I only use the upper three for nearly all my riding, second just for very steep hills and first for steep hills with the large trailer.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Possible Refuel point from Clay x to Sheffs.
Have a word with JE James cycles just north of chesterfield. They might let you charge your battery while you continue onwards with the second one. Pick it up on the way back for that long drag up the hill past the grassmoor turn.
JE James sell electric bikes (giant/currie) so might assist in your journey out of principle. For a small "charge". However you might pass them before they open..
Andrew